"Rush Tour Likely to be Last of Its Kind"...?

EmotionDetector

So...I came across this article from "Classic Rock" with the following header:

"Rush Tour Likely to be Last of Its Kind"

Rush say via a press release: “These not-to-be-missed concerts will highlight four decades of the band’s music. This will most likely be their last major tour of this magnitude.”

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-23/rush-tour-likely-to-be-last-of-its-kind

What do you guys make of this? A smart marketing ploy...or a sign of the band winding down?

When I read that article, (and some of the preceding articles with the guys) I got a little bit of the impression that I usually get from them...

Neil isn't a huge fan or touring, but does, then ends up enjoying the tour, and they can usually talk him into more.

Geddy...this time... isn't against touring, but he feels that he wants to do something studio wise, and at least do SOME playing.

Alex just wants to get out of the house and have a good time...

Could it also be some "marketing" to get people off of that "I'll just go see them on the NEXT leg of the tour" wagon? possibly...but deep down in the back of my mind, I think it's going to be similar to the last tour...the 34 dates...a nice rest...then another leg...

AND with the attitude of "another tour of this magnitude" I think they may go back to their old style, and stop the three hour mega shows with no opening act...I get it..they're all in their 60's now, SO a three hour show isn't exactly a waltz through the park. If they decide to do anything in the future, I would bet sort of "prog" evening with maybe some other bands on the bill...or a dual tour with someone like Yes...or they just give it up...hey...it's been 40 years...it has to end sometime... but I have a ticket...so I'm relieved!

Seems like a marketing line more than anything. What are they gonna do for the next album tour, play clubs?

If anything, they may shave off 5 songs from the setlist, but considering the CA tour had an effing string section, this seems like a statement more applicable to that tour.

When Rush say somethng they generally mean it. If Neil feels he is causing his "new" family pain he honestly beleives it. This includes himself which during the last tour HE was in considerable physical pain for much of the tour because he is an old man hitting things. They are old men in their 60s who play physically challenging music. This combination cannot go on in perpetuity. If this is the last harrah so be it. Enjoy and let them retire. They've done enough.
  • Like 3

You can almost spend all day parsing the words. What do they mean? "Last of Its Kind ... last major tour of this magnitude.”

What "kind" are they referring to? Do they mean a concert that plays lots and lots of oldies?

What do they mean by "magnitude?" Is the light show huge? Is the concert 4.5 hours long? The number of cities? Did Alex put on 100 lbs? What?

Probably they will explain it once the touring and interviews start.

However I can't see them declaring that they've retired. They're working men after all!

• Like 1

You can almost spend all day parsing the words. What do they mean? "Last of Its Kind ... last major tour of this magnitude.”

Did Alex put on 100 lbs?

Step away from the donut, Alex. :LOL:

• Like 1

When Rush say somethng they generally mean it. If Neil feels he is causing his "new" family pain he honestly beleives it. This includes himself which during the last tour HE was in considerable physical pain for much of the tour because he is an old man hitting things. They are old men in their 60s who play physically challenging music. This combination cannot go on in perpetuity. If this is the last harrah so be it. Enjoy and let them retire. They've done enough.

I agree with you. I think I read Geddy saying that Neil is in pain every day from the beginning to the end of the tour.

I agree with you. I think I read Geddy saying that Neil is in pain every day from the beginning to the end of the tour.

I'm not surprised considering how hard he hits the drums, even with the Gruber economy of motion lessons.

I'm not surprised considering how hard he hits the drums, even with the Gruber economy of motion lessons.

I think he may have said it himself. I'm not positive, but it might have been in one of his recent blog posts. Not the last one, but the one before that everyone here liked because he talked about Le Studio. It's so frustrating not being able to remember where I read something. What reminded me is you saying how hard he hits the drums because I think he mentioned his foot on the pedal and that he's really pounding down on a concrete floor and the shock goes through his entire body every time. It must be grueling, especially at his age.

I think he may have said it himself. I'm not positive, but it might have been in one of his recent blog posts. Not the last one, but the one before that everyone here liked because he talked about Le Studio. It's so frustrating not being able to remember where I read something. What reminded me is you saying how hard he hits the drums because I think he mentioned his foot on the pedal and that he's really pounding down on a concrete floor and the shock goes through his entire body every time. It must be grueling, especially at his age.

Yeah I would think so. I know he's apparently been suffering from some arm tendinitis for a long time.

Neil's pain, while partially due to playing, is likely also due to his insistence on riding a motorcycle between cities. I imagine that if he took... oh, I don't know.... the plane Alex and Geddy use... he might be a little more rested and comfortable! :huh:

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

What do you guys make of this? A smart marketing ploy...or a sign of the band winding down?

My answer: Yes.

I am not being sarcastic, rather I am suggesting that perhaps we mistakenly always assume something is this "or" that. Perhaps the better phrasing would be "A smart marketing ploy.... AND a sign of the band winding down?" One simple word change. One simple answer: Yes.

:cool:

Neil's pain, while partially due to playing, is likely also due to his insistence on riding a motorcycle between cities. I imagine that if he took... oh, I don't know.... the plane Alex and Geddy use... he might be a little more rested and comfortable! :huh:

Well, he probably insists on motorcycling because A: That's one of his favorite things about being on tour, and B: He hates flying, and will only do it when he has too. If Neil started flying, all the pain would be replaced with stress and anxiety.

I think it's time for them to stop touring anyway. It KILLS ged's voice and Neil seems to want to stop.......who really knows with him. I think we'll still get records though.

Mick

I don't. The days of their recording an album in ten days have been over for decades. What is the difference between touring for three months and working on new songs for almost a year? Neil would still have to be away from his daughter. I understand that when they work on an album, they hole themselves up somewhere in isolation.

Maybe they will do another album, but it will take years. They will work on it a little at a time instead of all at once.

I think it's time for them to stop touring anyway. It KILLS ged's voice and Neil seems to want to stop.......who really knows with him. I think we'll still get records though.

Mick

I don't. The days of their recording an album in ten days have been over for decades. What is the difference between touring for three months and working on new songs for almost a year? Neil would still have to be away from his daughter. I understand that when they work on an album, they hole themselves up somewhere in isolation.

Maybe they will do another album, but it will take years. They will work on it a little at a time instead of all at once.

Maybe i'll change that to RECORD. Singular. I still think we'll get at least 1 more.

Mick

Well, he probably insists on motorcycling because A: That's one of his favorite things about being on tour, and B: He hates flying, and will only do it when he has too. If Neil started flying, all the pain would be replaced with stress and anxiety.

Wow. Neil displaying stress and anxiety while on tour? No way.

Mick

The again, Geddy said that the last few albums they've made have made enough for them to break even more or less on the recording process. Thus the myriad live releases and other money grabs.

but then he'd have to see and spend time with alex and geddy.

It simply means that they've realized they're done doing global yearlong tours. Ged's voice, families, Neil's feelin' the pain (and about time, little wonder). A Rush tour with only 34 dates is already a significant scaling back from their yesteryear tours as we all know. I don't think this tour is the last opp to see Rush, but certain folks might have to travel far and wide to attend future appearances. A festival here. A week of shows there. But it's safe to say you've seen the last of worldwide tour dates. Short runs in Europe, or South America, possibly. I'd wager a safe guess the remainder of their live output will be focused in the States and Canada as one-off shows here and there. Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 1

Alex was on Q107 this morning talking about the upcoming tour. He said he and Neil were not really looking forward to touring as they are both comfortable with enjoying family life with the kids and grandkids. Al said that if you called Geddy and told him the tour was starting at 10:00, he'd be there. So it seems like they've decided that a short tour during the summer months is the way to go. I guess they could continue to do shorter runs, but you have to wonder if doing such a small number of show would cover production costs, or would they scale back the show as well?