Last tour should get different audio release

maxdistortion

Well the news is finally on us that Rush is doing their 40th anniversary tour, and as expected, its their last big-scale tour.

I'm hoping, and this is probably not going to happen, that theyll decide to do things differently as far as their audio release for their documentation of the tour.

I'm hoping that they'll decide to record multiple shows, and release them as a compilation. So the best performances of the best songs, dispersed throughout the tour. Like they did for Different Stages (even though it was 70 percent Chicago '97). Geddy's vocals are what they are. He has good nights, and not so good nights.

I'm also hoping that it'll see some kind of internet release. Do people (Besides hardcore rush fans like myself) still buy live audio CD's? They should make this an internet release in hi-definition audio. This would coincide nicely with all the reissues coming out over this next year. It would make sense if in 2016 they release this in that format as well.

BUT -- for Gods sakes -- that all doesnt mean anything unless the actual MIX is better. Neil's drums need to be up front and crisp and thundering, like it is live. Geddy's bass needs that midrange and top end clarity that they seem to bury on these live mixes. Rush's sound INDIVIDUALLY is better than it has been since the early 80's. They sound FANTASTIC live. But these horrible mixes/mastering jobs on these live releases kill that.

What do you guys think. Do you care? woud you even buy an R40 release considering all the others they've come out with?

Edited by maxdistortion
  • Like 3

I'm sorry, but where is everyone getting the idea that this is the last large scale tour, granted, it is possible, but its not like its in the official press release.

I'm sorry, but where is everyone getting the idea that this is the last large scale tour, granted, it is possible, but its not like its in the official press release.

The big hint is in the press release, and you know they will never tell you that it is actually the end. Geddy is bad at goodbyes, and so are we. fists%20crying.gif

Edited by Lorraine

The big hint is in the press release, and you know they will never tell you that it is actually the end. Geddy is bad at goodbyes, and so are we. fists%20crying.gif

Yeah, I just read that now. I never really bothered to read the full press release because I thought I had read it all on the website
  • Like 1

I've been hearing through various "friends of Geddy" that he is not psyched about the idea of touring. Neil especially isn't. He has the most to miss out on. His daughter is only a few years old. Plus, he's admitted that playing is taking a toll on his body. We're definately at the "end days" more or less. If it isn't this tour, its soon enough. I would think its possible in 2016 they may do some sort of extension of the tour into Europe possibly.

When they say this is the last tour of "this magnitude", one can easily assume that whatever is in the future won't be 3-hour career-spanning retrospective-based shows in which they go coast to coast.

PS; R40 on audio cassette ftw:D

• Like 1

I've been hearing through various "friends of Geddy" that he is not psyched about the idea of touring.

We knew about Neil's reluctance, but not about Geddy's, but this makes what I already thought more certain - this tour is being made reluctantly with no real enthusiasm for it. It appears as if they just want to do it and get it over with as soon as possible which explains the packed three month schedule.

• Like 1

I think the idea suggested at the top of this thread - that we get a mix of great takes - is a good one. Why wouldn't you want to give fans the best versions of your live performances? Do most fans really want the continuity of a single show - does that somehow make it more authentic? As far as video recording shows, I imagine that's pretty expensive - but what if they scaled down a bit and recorded 3 or 4 shows, and cobbled together a DVD of the best stuff? I'd much rather have great performances than a lot of money sunk into high definition and editing and all that. Just show me the guys playing. Just one last DVD for the real fans, who care more about watching the band play and less about fancy-schmancy brass plated drum hardware and futuristic set pieces.

Sorry, this is another one of those "why don't they do it this way instead" posts - they're going to do it the way they think best and the way that seems the most remunerative, or whatever. Anyway, we've had other cool ideas, and Rush's management hasn't called us yet . . .

Anyway, we've had other cool ideas, and Rush's management hasn't called us yet . . .

Shows you what they know. They should have been shown the door decades ago. :wacko:

Who needs Anthem when you have us?

Edited by Lorraine

I think the idea suggested at the top of this thread - that we get a mix of great takes - is a good one. Why wouldn't you want to give fans the best versions of your live performances? Do most fans really want the continuity of a single show - does that somehow make it more authentic? As far as video recording shows, I imagine that's pretty expensive - but what if they scaled down a bit and recorded 3 or 4 shows, and cobbled together a DVD of the best stuff? I'd much rather have great performances than a lot of money sunk into high definition and editing and all that. Just show me the guys playing. Just one last DVD for the real fans, who care more about watching the band play and less about fancy-schmancy brass plated drum hardware and futuristic set pieces.

Sorry, this is another one of those "why don't they do it this way instead" posts - they're going to do it the way they think best and the way that seems the most remunerative, or whatever. Anyway, we've had other cool ideas, and Rush's management hasn't called us yet . . .

I for one am much more interested in the audio components than the video. I've bought every live Rush video. I got bored sitting through them after R30. haha. I can't remember the last time I watched a rush concert vid from start to finish. But I'll GLADLY listen thorugh beginning to end. So yeah while I'm sure they'd film one show or two at most, and thats fine, I like the idea of them releasing a SPECIFIC live CD of the whole tour.

And yeah, we aren't Anthem. They make the decisions, and they are who they are for a reason. Just like how us Toronto Maple Leaf fans know nothing about hockey players and hockey, and its right to trust the management and GM's to make all the smart decisions too right?

Edited by maxdistortion