How Will the NFL Punish the Patriots

LedRush

5 members have voted

1. 1. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
  2. 2. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
    • Goodell will perform fallatio on Kraft and apologize for allowing word of the investigation to leak

Oh, wait. Johnson didn't play for the Patriots. We don't care what he did to game balls.

You know,

There is so much crap that goes on in sports. It's funny how certain players/teams get treated differently.

Yeah, it's almost like one team did broke the rules to gain a competitive advantage over the other with a non-compliant ball and the other team didn't.

Ugh.... so tired of hearing/talking about this non-story....

The league's rule is so ridiculously vague and their handling of the equipment process is so inept I don't know how Goodell could actually put up any punishment other than just the fine.

My prediction: They won't be able to prove any single person deflated the balls because the actual culprit is very likely the creative use of physics.

I was happy to see USA Today finally ran a story that I and pretty much any guy who works at a tire shop already theorized: Inflate the balls with warm air (perhaps in a sauna, or using some other method to warm pumped air) just before they are checked. As the balls are used outside in the cold, the air pressure will drop. The same phenomenon causes your tire pressure to increase with heat and decrease with cold.

No, the refs would not have noticed the balls as being hot because the air bladder inside the ball would act as a barrier. Yes, the air inside the balls would rapidly cool down and there would be an impact.

Is this cheating? No, not technically. It does skirt the intent and spirit of the rule and is definitely not in the interest of sportsmanship.... but is anyone here actually going to suggest the NFL really gives a hoot about sportsmanship? If this is what happened, it seems Tom Brady likes his balls a bit mushy (insert various jokes here) and the team found a creative way to accommodate without actually breaking the rule.

I mean, if Goodell really wants to suspend someone, I guess he could suspend God for the laws of the universe? Or maybe himself for being a moron?

In the end, though, what we are finding out is the NFL, like MLB, is pretty much stupid for allowing the teams to be the caretakers of the fundamental piece of equipment needed for the game. Granted, for MLB, you have 2,430 regular season match ups to manage so their decision is somewhat understandable. But the NFL can't figure out that maybe the league should control and prepare the footballs used in their 256 regular season match ups? Hell, why not let the home teams hire and pay the refs, too!?

What's more, if the league actually makes that big a deal out of this (other than to change their practices with who preps the game balls), Goodell will.... again.... look like the giant arse he proves himself to be on a regular basis. Remember, this is the league that ignored a star running back cold-cocking his fiancee in a hotel elevator.... that's the culture of the NFL... of course team's try to skirt the rules in the culture of this league!

And, one other thing.... the league has stated the less inflated (different than "deflated" balls - there's a good chance no one actually "deflated" them) were only used in the first half. The balls used in the second half were fine. The final score was 45-7. The Patriots were up 17-7 at half. The Patriots outscored the Colts 28-0 in the second half. Translation: It's pretty hard to find a correlation between the less inflated balls and actual impact.

From what I've read, the difference in air temperature was not nearly enough to account for a 2psi differential. I concede I'm not an expert, but I've not read an explanation that could account for the difference naturally.

Isn't it odd that at least one ref handled those drastically altered balls on every play, and didn't notice anything unusual about them?

People get that the balls weren't a) two pounds lighter or b) Nerf-like, right?

1. I don't know how odd I would consider it...I haven't felt the difference between footballs at those pressures, and I assume that a QB would be far more attuned to it than others.

2. Yes, I get that.

But the refs are the ones who check the balls before the game. And apparently they often do it just on how the ball "feels" without using a pressure gauge.

If they do it without a gauge, then we don't have to worry as much about the "how did they under inflate the balls" question. They just did it and weren't caught until half-time.

That still doesn't address why the balls didn't cause the refs, who touched them before each down, any concern. Maybe that's because they didn't really feel too different.

• Like 1

Oh, wait. Johnson didn't play for the Patriots. We don't care what he did to game balls.

You know,

There is so much crap that goes on in sports. It's funny how certain players/teams get treated differently.

Yeah, it's almost like one team did broke the rules to gain a competitive advantage over the other with a non-compliant ball and the other team didn't.

The league's rule is so ridiculously vague and their handling of the equipment process is so inept I don't know how Goodell could actually put up any punishment other than just the fine.

My prediction: They won't be able to prove any single person deflated the balls because the actual culprit is very likely the creative use of physics.

I was happy to see USA Today finally ran a story that I and pretty much any guy who works at a tire shop already theorized: Inflate the balls with warm air (perhaps in a sauna, or using some other method to warm pumped air) just before they are checked. As the balls are used outside in the cold, the air pressure will drop. The same phenomenon causes your tire pressure to increase with heat and decrease with cold.

No, the refs would not have noticed the balls as being hot because the air bladder inside the ball would act as a barrier. Yes, the air inside the balls would rapidly cool down and there would be an impact.

Is this cheating? No, not technically. It does skirt the intent and spirit of the rule and is definitely not in the interest of sportsmanship.... but is anyone here actually going to suggest the NFL really gives a hoot about sportsmanship? If this is what happened, it seems Tom Brady likes his balls a bit mushy (insert various jokes here) and the team found a creative way to accommodate without actually breaking the rule.

I mean, if Goodell really wants to suspend someone, I guess he could suspend God for the laws of the universe? Or maybe himself for being a moron?

In the end, though, what we are finding out is the NFL, like MLB, is pretty much stupid for allowing the teams to be the caretakers of the fundamental piece of equipment needed for the game. Granted, for MLB, you have 2,430 regular season match ups to manage so their decision is somewhat understandable. But the NFL can't figure out that maybe the league should control and prepare the footballs used in their 256 regular season match ups? Hell, why not let the home teams hire and pay the refs, too!?

What's more, if the league actually makes that big a deal out of this (other than to change their practices with who preps the game balls), Goodell will.... again.... look like the giant arse he proves himself to be on a regular basis. Remember, this is the league that ignored a star running back cold-cocking his fiancee in a hotel elevator.... that's the culture of the NFL... of course team's try to skirt the rules in the culture of this league!

And, one other thing.... the league has stated the less inflated (different than "deflated" balls - there's a good chance no one actually "deflated" them) were only used in the first half. The balls used in the second half were fine. The final score was 45-7. The Patriots were up 17-7 at half. The Patriots outscored the Colts 28-0 in the second half. Translation: It's pretty hard to find a correlation between the less inflated balls and actual impact.

From what I've read, the difference in air temperature was not nearly enough to account for a 2psi differential. I concede I'm not an expert, but I've not read an explanation that could account for the difference naturally.

Isn't it odd that at least one ref handled those drastically altered balls on every play, and didn't notice anything unusual about them?

1. I don't know how odd I would consider it...I haven't felt the difference between footballs at those pressures, and I assume that a QB would be far more attuned to it than others.

2. Yes, I get that.

But the refs are the ones who check the balls before the game. And apparently they often do it just on how the ball "feels" without using a pressure gauge.

If they do it without a gauge, then we don't have to worry as much about the "how did they under inflate the balls" question. They just did it and weren't caught until half-time.

That still doesn't address why the balls didn't cause the refs, who touched them before each down, any concern. Maybe that's because they didn't really feel too different.

But they were different. The Colts balls all were within the rules. 11 of the 12 Patriots balls were not.

Then again, maybe the trained professionals that make their livelihood throwing them and who prefer them a certain way are more attuned to differences ( and there was at least 15% difference in psi) than people who sell insurance during the week.

Nah, that couldn't be it, for some reason that has to do with something from 1985. I guess.

• Like 1

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

But they were different. The Colts balls all were within the rules. 11 of the 12 Patriots balls were not.

Then again, maybe the trained professionals that make their livelihood throwing them and who prefer them a certain way are more attuned to differences ( and there was at least 15% difference in psi) than people who sell insurance during the week.

Nah, that couldn't be it, for some reason that has to do with something from 1985. I guess.

Then maybe you should ask Matt Leinart or Boomer Esiason or Rich Gannon what they think.

Nah, it works better as a way to criticize a team we're sick of seeing win so often.

Aaron Rodgers overinflates the ball. He can hang next to Brady.

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

Then maybe you should ask Matt Leinart or Boomer Esiason or Rich Gannon what they think.

Nah, it works better as a way to criticize a team we're sick of seeing win so often.

Or Aikmen, Brunell, or Rice? Or do we only name-drop the people that defend cheating?

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

Great, you found three "experts" that take your team's side. And one of them is Esaison.

Do you have any evidence that Rodgers has used an improperly inflated ball in a game? To cite a Roth VH song worthy of the Hagar era, I'll wait.

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

Or Aikmen, Brunell, or Rice? Or do we only name-drop the people that defend cheating?

What does it ordinarily mean about how clear something is when knowledgeable people can't agree?

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

Great, you found three "experts" that take your team's side. And one of them is Esaison.

Do you have any evidence that Rodgers has used an improperly inflated ball in a game? To cite a Roth VH song worthy of the Hagar era, I'll wait.

I'm pretty sure he said he does it and hopes the refs don't notice.

I'll Wait is more Van Hagarish, but I still like it.

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

And if they do notice, are there extra precautions taken to make sure he gets the footballs he wants?

You know,

2. Yes, I get that.

And if they do notice, are there extra precautions taken to make sure he gets the footballs he wants?

That I don't know.

Okay then. Let's spot the Colts 21 points. They still get their asses kicked. :)

My brother started in on this yesterday at Sunday dinner with our folks. I said "it was 45-7... you really think the PSI accounted over 5 TDs? And the Pats D had no trouble catching properly inflated balls 2 times...."

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Looks like the Patriots have their scapegoat. I just heard on ESPN radio that the ball attendant is a person of interest. Aside from that, I listened to Brady stumble through and interview and he didn't sound very convincing.
  • Like 1

Looks like the Patriots have their scapegoat. I just heard on ESPN radio that the ball attendant is a person of interest. Aside from that, I listened to Brady stumble through and interview and he didn't sound very convincing.

They had that guy on the SNL intro too...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/patriots-press-conference-cold-open/2842425

• Like 1

They had that guy on the SNL intro too...

https://www.nbc.com/...ld-open/2842425

:laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Okay then. Let's spot the Colts 21 points. They still get their asses kicked. :)

My brother started in on this yesterday at Sunday dinner with our folks. I said "it was 45-7... you really think the PSI accounted over 5 TDs? And the Pats D had no trouble catching properly inflated balls 2 times...."

Of course, that is deliberately missing the point and falling into the trap of the predetermined outcome.

• Like 1

Of course, that is deliberately missing the point and falling into the trap of the predetermined outcome.

Who said this?

I don't think there's a chance they lose this weekend after the shellacking they gave the Colts last time, and how the Colts played last week. If they were to lose, it really would be a monumental collapse. However, assuming a healthy Rodgers, either team in the NFC would probably make the match-up interesting, and not the foregone conclusion of last week or the upcoming week.

Who said this?

I don't think there's a chance they lose this weekend after the shellacking they gave the Colts last time, and how the Colts played last week. If they were to lose, it really would be a monumental collapse. However, assuming a healthy Rodgers, either team in the NFC would probably make the match-up interesting, and not the foregone conclusion of last week or the upcoming week.

This may surprise you, but I've been wrong on picking the outcomes of sports. A lot. If I had to bet again, I'd take the Pats plus 14 in any weather. But I also picked the Broncos to beat Seattle last year and I picked the Pats to beat the Broncos in the AFC Championship. But who knows, if they played 10 times, maybe the Colts win once. But I still wouldn't bet on it.

I'm also on record saying the Pats wrap up this super bowl 5 minutes into the second half. I hope I am wrong yet again. Unfortunately, I've been right on the Pats way too much this year.

The only things missing from Kraft's press conference last night were references to the Patriots good desires and the moral harm done by the NFL by their investigation.

Who said this?

This may surprise you, but I've been wrong on picking the outcomes of sports. A lot. If I had to bet again, I'd take the Pats plus 14 in any weather. But I also picked the Broncos to beat Seattle last year and I picked the Pats to beat the Broncos in the AFC Championship. But who knows, if they played 10 times, maybe the Colts win once. But I still wouldn't bet on it.

I'm also on record saying the Pats wrap up this super bowl 5 minutes into the second half. I hope I am wrong yet again. Unfortunately, I've been right on the Pats way too much this year.

Led, if your picks predetermined the outcome of games, you should quit your job today.

Also, Led's pick was based on information available to him at the time. It's unlikely that this is the first time they've done this (in fact it's been reported that the league was on alert based on the 11-16 game. So the information that went into his pick (and mine for that matter) would have included results that were tainted in and of themselves.

I'm also pretty pissed that the Fins aren't 41 time defending champions based on this ability of yours, Led. What kind of a fan ARE you????????

I'm also pretty pissed that the Fins aren't 41 time defending champions based on this ability of yours, Led. What kind of a fan ARE you????????

I always pick them to lose. I'M the problem. God damnit!

Who said this?

I'm not surprised by that at all. But you said that the Patriots beating the Colts was a "foregone conclusion" before that game, and then criticized LCC for "falling into the trap of the predetermined outcome." So was it not a "foregone conclusion" that the Patriots would beat the Colts?

Who said this?

I'm not surprised by that at all. But you said that the Patriots beating the Colts was a "foregone conclusion" before that game, and then criticized LCC for "falling into the trap of the predetermined outcome." So was it not a "foregone conclusion" that the Patriots would beat the Colts?

If you're examining sports predictions for literal accuracy and questioning whether someone has foreknowledge of the outcome of the game, something is probably wrong with you.

Who said this?

If you're examining sports predictions for literal accuracy and questioning whether someone has foreknowledge of the outcome of the game, something is probably wrong with you.

I'm really just questioning your own inconsistent statements. I'm pretty confident you don't have knowledge, "fore-" or otherwise, of the game.