How Will the NFL Punish the Patriots

LedRush

5 members have voted

1. 1. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
  2. 2. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
    • Goodell will perform fallatio on Kraft and apologize for allowing word of the investigation to leak

Assuming that in the sure-to-be hurriedly put together investigation/cover-up finds that the balls were deflated by some equipment manager-type people and that those people acted on their own, how will the Patriots be punished, if at all? How should they be punished?

Simple.....$1,000,000 fine, 2 draft picks, 3 years on Hard Knocks with interviews after each episode from BB & TB. ALL those cameras would drive BB NUTS, NUTZ I tell ya.
  • Like 1

I think that the fine and draft picks should be a given, though I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL made them low draft picks. The real question for me is what level of punishment, if any, will be given to Behlicheck.

For Bountygate, Goodell said that Payton should have known of the scheme and he was obliged to shut it down and that violated the league constitution by failing to "avoid actions that undermine or damage the club's reputation or operating success."

Obviously, the facts are different, but they are similar enough that it will be interesting to see how the NFL justifies not suspending a repeat offender.

Well they the NFL will have to find a way to PROVE that BB knew and implemented this shrinkage/DEFLATEGATE business. Just because he was implicated in something in the past doesn't automatically makes him the grandmaster of this situation today. It may not have nothing to do with him, he has has bigger fish to fry.....

Some words from his conference today...

"Let me just say that my personal coaching philosophy and my mentality has always been to been to make things as difficult as possible for players in practice," Belichick said. "So with regard to footballs, I'm sure that any current or past player of mine will tell you that the balls we practice with are as bad as they can be. Wet. Sticky. Cold. Slippery. However bad we can make 'em, I make 'em.

"And any time players complain about the quality of the footballs, I make them worse. And that stops the complaint. So we never use the condition of the footballs as an excuse. We play with whatever, or kick with whatever we have to use and that’s the way it is. That has never been a priority for me and I want the players to deal with a harder situation in practice than they’ll ever have to deal with in the game and maybe that’s part of our whole ball security philosophy. I’m trying to coach the team and that’s what I want to do... I really can't think of anything I would have done differently based on what I knew then, based on what I know now. I told you the one change we did make in the initial start level of football pressure, but that's really about it. It's unfortunate that this is a story coming off two great playoff victories by our football team and our players."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2015/01/bill_belichick_on_deflategate.html?p1=feature_pri_hp#comments

BTW...I like that phylosphy in coaching and preparing players for a game.

The true fireworks are coming up at 4:00pm est when Brady speaks. This where the whole story is going Hes the one who handles the balls and has a vested interest in how they feel....stiff or soft.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

Well they the NFL will have to find a way to PROVE that BB knew and implemented this shrinkage/DEFLATEGATE business. Just because he was implicated in something in the past doesn't automatically makes him the grandmaster of this situation today. It may not have nothing to do with him, he has has bigger fish to fry.....

"Let me just say that my personal coaching philosophy and my mentality has always been to been to make things as difficult as possible for players in practice," Belichick said. "So with regard to footballs, I'm sure that any current or past player of mine will tell you that the balls we practice with are as bad as they can be. Wet. Sticky. Cold. Slippery. However bad we can make 'em, I make 'em.

"And any time players complain about the quality of the footballs, I make them worse. And that stops the complaint. So we never use the condition of the footballs as an excuse. We play with whatever, or kick with whatever we have to use and that’s the way it is. That has never been a priority for me and I want the players to deal with a harder situation in practice than they’ll ever have to deal with in the game and maybe that’s part of our whole ball security philosophy. I’m trying to coach the team and that’s what I want to do... I really can't think of anything I would have done differently based on what I knew then, based on what I know now. I told you the one change we did make in the initial start level of football pressure, but that's really about it. It's unfortunate that this is a story coming off two great playoff victories by our football team and our players."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2015/01/bill_belichick_on_deflategate.html?p1=feature_pri_hp#comments

The true fireworks are coming up at 4:00pm est when Brady speaks. This where the whole story is going Hes the one who handles the balls and has a vested interest in how they feel....stiff or soft.

They didn't prove Payton knew anything. They just said he should of and as coach he's responsible for the actions of those under him.

Edited by LedRush

http://www.boston.co...pri_hp#comments

They didn't prove Payton knew anything. They just said he should of and as coach he's responsible for the actions of those under him.

Also, Belichick is basically saying that he pays a lot of attention to how a ball is prepared and used in practice, but is completely ignorant of how it works in the game. Seeing as he acknowledges how much attention he pays to them in practice, and his history of skirting and walking the edge on rules, this just makes me think it is more likely that something deliberate was happening.

• Like 1

Also, Belichick is basically saying that he pays a lot of attention to how a ball is prepared and used in practice, but is completely ignorant of how it works in the game. Seeing as he acknowledges how much attention he pays to them in practice, and his history of skirting and walking the edge on rules, this just makes me think it is more likely that something deliberate was happening.

Well then there you go judgement has been ruled.....he IS the mastermind in all of this, thank you for your decision. You can post your punishment after Brady speaks.

Well then there you go judgement has been ruled.....he IS the mastermind in all of this, thank you for your decision. You can post your punishment after Brady speaks.

I said it was more likely in my mind that it was deliberate. Settle down.

I'm settled just getting tired of all this dead week hype. Whatever, I hope it will be a good game, they are only 6 states in this country that the Patriots not thought of as cheaters. I'm so frustrated and disappointed with the Patriots for bringing the chance of this comical event to light cause it's gone beyond viral. I'm sure TB speaks it'll get worse.

I'm settled just getting tired of all this dead week hype. Whatever, I hope it will be a good game, they are only 6 states in this country that the Patriots not thought of as cheaters. I'm so frustrated and disappointed with the Patriots for bringing the chance of this comical event to light cause it's gone beyond viral. I'm sure TB speaks it'll get worse.

6 states? CT has known Kraft is unethical since he screwed the state out of the team. And I have to believe that in at least a couple of the other states people are smart enough to recognize that the Pats are, by definition, cheaters.

Each member of the colts gets to tea bag belicheck.

Yeah that'll happen when the Colts start to beat the Patriots on a regular basis.

6 states? CT has known Kraft is unethical since he screwed the state out of the team. And I have to believe that in at least a couple of the other states people are smart enough to recognize that the Pats are, by definition, cheaters.

Truthfully, it's probably 50 for 50. The only difference is in 6 states the end justifies the means.

The Brady conference was worse:

1. The NFL hasn't even talked to him.

2. Brady is very specific about how he likes his footballs and doesn't want anyone going near them after he approves, but then doesn't seem to notice if they are deflated, which would be a big difference to how he supposedly likes them.

3. He gave no sense that he wanted to resolve this issue.

2. Brady is very specific about how he likes his footballs and doesn't want anyone going near them after he approves, but then doesn't seem to notice if they are deflated, which would be a big difference to how he supposedly likes them.

After 10+ years of using the same balls, what is there to notice?

But it doesn't matter anyway, everybody does it. Even though there's no real advantage to doing it.

• Like 1

1. The Isis comment

2. He said something about it, after he has chosen the balls for the game, he then focuses on game execution.

3. You might want it resolved, but he has a SB game to play against a formidable opponent that I think can dominate the Patriots. Besides that's not his job, if the NFL cared they should've atleast contacted him already.

• Like 1

Death penalty.

How about making them stay on the field during the halftime show and making them listen to Katy f***ing Perry?

• Like 5

Death penalty.

How about making them stay on the field during the halftime show and making them listen to Katy f***ing Perry?

Cruel and unusual?.... :huh:
  • Like 2

1. The Isis comment

2. He said something about it, after he has chosen the balls for the game, he then focuses on game execution.

3. You might want it resolved, but he has a SB game to play against a formidable opponent that I think can dominate the Patriots. Besides that's not his job, if the NFL cared they should've atleast contacted him already.

I'm not sure if your 3 points are supposed to be answer to mine, but your 1 and 2 don't seem related to mine.

Regarding the 3rd point, the person who stood to benefit most from this was Brady, and as such, you'd think that he'd want this thing behind him. I'm not saying he needs to contact the NFL and demand to be questioned or spend any more time on this than he has to. But when he does talk about it, I expected more from him.