Jump to content


Neither Pittsburgh nor Cleveland?!


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

OK, that's just weird.

There's a huge stretch at the end of June/beginning of July that is completely empty.  All 34 cities are up on the website, but c'mon, there has to be enough demand for at least 1 of these two places to get a stop, given how important both are in Rush's history.  Plus, the empty stretch seems to be centered around an area of the US where either or both cities could easily fit in with the itinerary.

Will be VERY disappointed if neither city is announced.  That's just a huge hole in a very important market for them.

Edited by zappafrank, 22 January 2015 - 03:30 AM.


Sponsored Post

#2 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

View Postzappafrank, on 22 January 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

OK, that's just weird.

There's a huge stretch at the end of June/beginning of July that is completely empty.  All 34 dates are up on the website, but c'mon, there has to be enough demand for at least 1 of these two places to get a stop, given how important both are in Rush's history.  Plus, the empty stretch seems to be centered around an area of the US where either or both cities could easily fit in with the itinerary.

Will be VERY disappointed if neither city is announced.  That's just a huge hole in a very important market for them.

I think it's really odd too. I don't remember a tour where they didn't hit at least one of those venues. Only thing might be if they decide to add more dates or a second leg.

#3 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 02:59 AM, said:

I think it's really odd too. I don't remember a tour where they didn't hit at least one of those venues. Only thing might be if they decide to add more dates or a second leg.

Especially with how vocal they are about feeling at home in The Mistake by the Lake Cleveland, and their fondness for Pitt given Neil's 1st gig with them was here.

ETA: The drive to Cleveland can be a chore, so I imagine the one to Columbus (which I've never done) can't be much better.  At least Cleveland can be back and forth without having to stay over a night.

Edited by zappafrank, 22 January 2015 - 03:04 AM.


#4 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

Actually, there's a pretty big gap b/w Bristow, VA and Columbus, too, which would work even better location-wise for squeezing one or both in there.

#5 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

View Postzappafrank, on 22 January 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 02:59 AM, said:

I think it's really odd too. I don't remember a tour where they didn't hit at least one of those venues. Only thing might be if they decide to add more dates or a second leg.

Especially with how vocal they are about feeling at home in The Mistake by the Lake Cleveland, and their fondness for Pitt given Neil's 1st gig with them was here.

ETA: The drive to Cleveland can be a chore, so I imagine the one to Columbus (which I've never done) can't be much better.  At least Cleveland can be back and forth without having to stay over a night.

It's exactly 3 hours to Columbus from here. When I was living in Ohio, I drove to Chicago during the last tour and it was over 10 hours as a round trip. It was after dawn when I got home. What a day that was.

#6 Pause Rewind Replay

Pause Rewind Replay

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:22 AM

Does seem weird.. maybe they figure Columbus and Buffalo are covering those markets?  

Only 1 Florida date (Tampa).  Every previous tour I remember hit it twice or even 3 times.

No Indianapolis/Cincy/Louisville/Nashville/Memphis either.  Now THAT is a big whacking hole in the coverage.

This really does scream "Second leg coming eventually" ... I hope.

#7 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostPause Rewind Replay, on 22 January 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

Does seem weird.. maybe they figure Columbus and Buffalo are covering those markets?  

Only 1 Florida date (Tampa).  Every previous tour I remember hit it twice or even 3 times.

No Indianapolis/Cincy/Louisville/Nashville/Memphis either.  Now THAT is a big whacking hole in the coverage.

This really does scream "Second leg coming eventually" ... I hope.

Buffalo is a 4+ hour drive from Pittsburgh.  I made the trek a couple of summers ago b/c Iron Maiden was doing a limited US run of Maiden England '88 and that was the closest stop.  So if they're thinking that Buffalo is covering Pitt, it's really not, unless you're doing like I did and made it a two-day affair, days off work, etc.

I'm with you on the 2nd leg hopes.

#8 Pause Rewind Replay

Pause Rewind Replay

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:40 AM

View Postzappafrank, on 22 January 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

View PostPause Rewind Replay, on 22 January 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

Does seem weird.. maybe they figure Columbus and Buffalo are covering those markets?  

Only 1 Florida date (Tampa).  Every previous tour I remember hit it twice or even 3 times.

No Indianapolis/Cincy/Louisville/Nashville/Memphis either.  Now THAT is a big whacking hole in the coverage.

This really does scream "Second leg coming eventually" ... I hope.

Buffalo is a 4+ hour drive from Pittsburgh.  I made the trek a couple of summers ago b/c Iron Maiden was doing a limited US run of Maiden England '88 and that was the closest stop.  So if they're thinking that Buffalo is covering Pitt, it's really not, unless you're doing like I did and made it a two-day affair, days off work, etc.

I'm with you on the 2nd leg hopes.

Well I've been to 10 shows and 8 of them were at least 4+ hours away so  :P  St. Paul this time will be 9. And yes, it'll a two-day affair.

My other tour date question is... LINCOLN?!?  :wtf:

#9 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3909 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

I would think that there's be a second leg.  I'll bet PIT and CLE will get the nod then.

#10 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9819 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Maybe they tried to book shows but the arenas weren't available to them? I know they regularly play these places, so it is surprising that neither one is on here. Does anyone know what the turnouts were like the last time Rush played these cities? If they didn't make money there last time around they may just skip them or wait until a possible second leg.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 22 January 2015 - 08:38 AM.


#11 ladirushfan80

ladirushfan80

    Dawn's Early Light

  • Members
  • 12338 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:America's High Five!
  • Interests:Spending time with friends and family. Spirituality. Music. Getting out in the world and trying to appreciate and make the most out of each and every day. Always a work in progress...

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

i feel there will be a second leg for sure.

#12 Pale Facsimile

Pale Facsimile

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

I think it depends on how they're feeling after this first run of shows.  You look at the past two "retrospective"-type tours, and it could go either way.  For R30 they just did the one leg of North American shows (plus Europe), and with Time Machine, you heard in a lot of interviews where Ged or Al would say "We're having a lot of fun this time around and we feel that a lot more places deserve to see this particular show, so we decided to bring it out on another leg."

But yes, it is odd that Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Saratoga, among others, all frequent stops, are missing from the itinerary.

#13 big lou

big lou

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Interesting line in the Press Release:
“After 40 years together and 20 gold and platinum studio albums – Rush is ready to celebrate with the most loyal fans in the world by embarking on their 21st tour, one which will most likely be their last major tour of this magnitude. Celebrate four decades of music with three incredible musicians – all in 1 night.”
Hate to read it but I guess it is not unexpected.  Doesn't say Last Tour, though - happy about that.

Edited by big lou, 22 January 2015 - 10:57 AM.


#14 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

View Postbig lou, on 22 January 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Interesting line in the Press Release:
“After 40 years together and 20 gold and platinum studio albums – Rush is ready to celebrate with the most loyal fans in the world by embarking on their 21st tour, one which will most likely be their last major tour of this magnitude. Celebrate four decades of music with three incredible musicians – all in 1 night.”
Hate to read it but I guess it is not unexpected.  Doesn't say Last Tour, though - happy about that.

I guess nothing is set in stone.

#15 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17668 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postbig lou, on 22 January 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Interesting line in the Press Release:
“After 40 years together and 20 gold and platinum studio albums – Rush is ready to celebrate with the most loyal fans in the world by embarking on their 21st tour, one which will most likely be their last major tour of this magnitude. Celebrate four decades of music with three incredible musicians – all in 1 night.”
Hate to read it but I guess it is not unexpected.  Doesn't say Last Tour, though - happy about that.

I guess nothing is set in stone.

True- I don't think anything has been set in stone, for the past dozen years or so, until it has actually happened.

I know it's been said before (and repeated, many times over)- but I think we are all fortunate to have had them continue for this long. We're all so fortunate to have a tour of this magnitude still happening at all right now.

#16 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostBlue J, on 22 January 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postbig lou, on 22 January 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Interesting line in the Press Release:
“After 40 years together and 20 gold and platinum studio albums – Rush is ready to celebrate with the most loyal fans in the world by embarking on their 21st tour, one which will most likely be their last major tour of this magnitude. Celebrate four decades of music with three incredible musicians – all in 1 night.”
Hate to read it but I guess it is not unexpected.  Doesn't say Last Tour, though - happy about that.

I guess nothing is set in stone.

True- I don't think anything has been set in stone, for the past dozen years or so, until it has actually happened.

I know it's been said before (and repeated, many times over)- but I think we are all fortunate to have had them continue for this long. We're all so fortunate to have a tour of this magnitude still happening at all right now.

Absolutely! We should be happy with what we get at this point.

#17 bscsmkr

bscsmkr

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

Tremendous that they are touring
Not understanding the skipping of Milwaukee which had the biggiest audience turn outs the past couple of tours
I guess logistics weren't right
Hoping for a second leg
We are nearing the end unfortunately

#18 drgrendel

drgrendel

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 479 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Clearfield, PA
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Golfing, and Hiking.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

The last time around, the Pittsburgh show had a dismal attendance. By comparison, Buffalo was a sell-out.   Pittsburgh has always had a visit from them; sometimes hitting the Burgh for both legs of a tour. Buffalo missed out on Time Machine Tour, so I think Buffalo is getting I just desserts this time.

#19 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12499 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

View Postzappafrank, on 22 January 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 January 2015 - 02:59 AM, said:

I think it's really odd too. I don't remember a tour where they didn't hit at least one of those venues. Only thing might be if they decide to add more dates or a second leg.

Especially with how vocal they are about feeling at home in The Mistake by the Lake Cleveland, and their fondness for Pitt given Neil's 1st gig with them was here.

ETA: The drive to Cleveland can be a chore, so I imagine the one to Columbus (which I've never done) can't be much better.  At least Cleveland can be back and forth without having to stay over a night.

It's exactly 3 hours to Columbus from here. When I was living in Ohio, I drove to Chicago during the last tour and it was over 10 hours as a round trip. It was after dawn when I got home. What a day that was.

Looks like you'll have to take 79 North and 80 West for a couple of days in the NYC/NJ area.

Six hour drive from Newark to Pittsburgh...I do that drive a few times every year.

#20 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

View Postdrgrendel, on 22 January 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

The last time around, the Pittsburgh show had a dismal attendance. By comparison, Buffalo was a sell-out.   Pittsburgh has always had a visit from them; sometimes hitting the Burgh for both legs of a tour. Buffalo missed out on Time Machine Tour, so I think Buffalo is getting I just desserts this time.

From what I remember, attendance tended to be down everywhere on the CA tour, despite some sellouts here and there.  As other people have noted, it's not just this western PA/eastern OH chunk that's being skipped - there are some major places surrounding the OH valley that have been glossed over, too.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users