I'm Bored! It's Time To "BURN!" This Is By Far Deep Purple's Best Album! "YOU FOOL NO ONE!"

RUSHHEAD666

Come on guys! "Burn" is the greatest Deep Purple album ever made! Yes? No? Who cares?

The Hughes and Coverdale MK were by far Purple's best years!

Ian Gilan is a stud too but my love is on Coverdale and Hughes!

The Tommy Bolin stuff was excellent.

Forget the Joe Lynn Turner album.

A lot of the Steve Morse Purple is solid too.

For my ears, nothing touches BURN!

What is your favorite Deep Purple album?

• Like 2

I wish they had more albums featuring Coverdale and Hughes...it´s too bad that drugs ruined the band in the late 70´s. I bought a combo of Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band years ago, but don't have my own copy of Burn!!!

There´s a good documentary on Mark IV called Getting Tighter. Check it out Earl, it´s available on YouTube.

I´ve seen Purple in the Purpendicular and Rapure of the Deep tours. Gillan is not the same anymore, and should just retire. They came around these parts last year and I didn´t even bother going, since the setlist is pretty much the same with one or two songs from their latest album added. Hughes on the other hand still sings like he´s 24 years old, even after years of drug abuse.

Purpendicular is good, Greg. After that, there are a few tracks here and there, but nothing to be too excited about.

I agree that Purpendicular is the best of the Morse ones, but I think Abandon and Now What?! are good albums as well.

You're right Earl, you fool no one! :D

Machine Head is my favorite, but I also really like "Who Do We Think We Are?" There's just something about that one - short an very sweet. Burn is great though, don't get me wrong. Not many bad Deep Purple albums, for that matter...

Signed,

Titties on the (khazy) wall

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 2

Their song "Highway Star" has the earliest example I can think of of a "Unison Solo" between a keyboard (organ counts) and a guitar. I have reason to believe they founded this majestic new way of soloing. It gives an energetic solo much more depth (sound-wise) and strength, not to mention it's always impressive to see the guitarist and keyboardist so in tune with one another.

The unison solo is often used today in progressive / power metal, just look at how often Dream Theater does it (using DT as a popular reference).

• Like 2

I don't think there have been any Mark 1 comments yet. Am I the only Taliesyn fan? :smoke:

I like to hang around "In Rock - Perfect Strangers" territory. Knockin' on Your Back Door is an awesome tune, along with Child in Time it's the first of theirs I really got into. Their first three albums are wildly different from the rest of their stuff. Not bad, just not what I had in mind when I thought, "time to listen to Deep Purple!"

Still haven't listened to their latest album...

• Like 2

Knockin' on Your Back Door is an awesome tune

It sure is!

along with Child in Time

That was the one that convinced me of Gillan's awesomeness.

Joe Lynn Turner has mentioned in an interview to Classic Rock Magazine that he thinks Slaves & Masters is the best Deep Purple album. Whaaaaaaat?!!?!?

Can't imagine why he would think that. ;)

Purpendicular is good, Greg. After that, there are a few tracks here and there, but nothing to be too excited about.

I've heard folks say good things about that album, as well as Bananas. I should give them a fair shake.

• Like 1

I've heard folks say good things about that album, as well as Bananas. I should give them a fair shake.

I totally agree about "Perpendicular." It's really good!

You're right Earl, you fool no one! :D

Machine Head is my favorite, but I also really like "Who Do We Think We Are?" There's just something about that one - short an very sweet. Burn is great though, don't get me wrong. Not many bad Deep Purple albums, for that matter...

Signed,

Titties on the (khazy) wall

Hahahaha!! Thanks Mr. Not!

I think the "Perfect Strangers" album is killer!

• Like 1