Official Van der Graaf Generator Thread

Did you miss me guys? ;)

I've decided to reintroduce myself into this forum after a long hiatus in which I spent the rest of 2014 making better use of my time on the internet (e.g. exploring neo-prog as a whole, watching Spinal Tap with my roommates, making drum machine patterns, Digimon fanfics etc...) I just decided to take a break from it that's all!

So yeah as the title suggests it's a thread to discuss a particular prog band that would make King Crimson froth at the mouth, I'm talking about that demonstrated Peter Hammil's epic stories about stranded lighthouse keepers and huffing aerosol cans set to such blood-curdling music! (you get the idea)

Ok that's enough for my reintroduction speech, on with the topic! xD

Edited by The Cosmic Lawnmower
  • Like 1

WOW!Peter Hammill is one of the very prog God's in my eyes(Along with Gabriel,Fripp and the two Anderson's,Messrs Ian and Jon),and Hammill's baby VDGG is certainly a unique,but entertaining,experience! When I heard Crimson and Gentle Giant,I thought I'd reached the extreme levels of top progressive rock.WRONG.LOUD/OVER-BLOWN/CRAZY etc are just some words I'd use to describe VDGG,but I just love em,and its good to know they're appreciated still.Favourite albums include H to He Who am the Only One,Godbluff,and Pawn Hearts.Also enjoy PH solo too! Nice thread!

"Cogs tearing bones, cogs tearing bones:

Iron-throated monsters are forcing our screams,

Mind and machinery box-press the dreams."

Seriously, Is Hammill a horror novelist? because no other band has truly given me actual fears...

Not only that Hammill is one hell of a lyricist, they also made one of the best album covers ever.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/Van_Der_Graaf_Generator-World_Record-7-Front_zps47549df8.jpg

• Like 1

Their albums are very highly ranked on the ProgArchives site. Listened to some of their stuff, but couldnt get into the singer's voice.

It's to be expected of an ex-Jesuit choir boy, Received Pronunciation and all...

Their albums are very highly ranked on the ProgArchives site. Listened to some of their stuff, but couldnt get into the singer's voice.

Check out some of the more recent stuff. Particularly Trisector. I got into Hammill so first so his more recent voice is a bit more mellow. A bit. He has one of he most singular voices of the age. An aquired taste for sure.

New album, Do Not Disturb.

If it's their last they're going out on a high. Magic.

Totally agree with you Hatchet. Pure magic.

Hammill is lamenting his extraordinary brilliant lyrics as good as ever, Banton is still refining his spacy organ and key parts... and Guy Evans is still drumming in his own league. The album has the typical VDGG strangeness and they're still cog-ently. ( ;) )

Love it from the first listen. :smoke: :hail: