T. Brown, the fourth member of classic Rush

toymaker

I think Brown brought something to the Rush releases that has never really been matched. When he remixed the first album, by all accounts he helped to achieve the sound they were going for. I think as a producer he progressed along with the band, and when I think of the classic sound of Rush, I always think first of the albums he had a hand in producing. I have not read anything that described in any great detail exactly what their working relationship was like, or what precisely he brought to the whole process. All I know is that I love the sound of those records.

When they parted ways in the 80s – to prevent musical stagnation or whatever – I think the sound changed forever. The band still brought their prodigious musical and composition talents to the table, but it seems to me they were a bit too open to suggestion. Strangers invaded my music, adding synthesizer flourishes and programming and even background vocals. (I’m no fan of 80s music in general, so I’m very biased.) The post 84 part of the 80s decade is almost entirely an era of creamy, drippy, synthy Rush music, in which we are occasionally treated to adventurous and muscular forays into killer-chops territory (I think of Mission’s instrumental break, although it lacks the Brown sound).

Then we get the latter-day Rush, which many on the forum have characterized as too heavily-layered, too much a “wall of sound,” too noisy and cluttered and distracting. I wonder what Brown would bring back to the mix. It seems all the elements required to find that bygone sound are probably lost forever – that mixing board at that studio, that producer, that youthful band wanting to make that indefinable, inimitable, complex, razor-sharp, crisp, melodic sound. But maybe Brown’s influence would align the vestiges of those elements in just the right way, and if he hasn’t lost his touch, we might get an album that has that Permanent Waves clarity.

Just dreaming. Mostly this is just a tribute I've wanted to articulate for a while.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 11

I think it would be awesome if somehow they could hook back up with him for an album just to see, like you said, if he could bring back some of the clarity to their music Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

here we go with this again as if this would suddenly make it the 70s again

I am so glad you wrote this!

I think Brown brought something to the Rush releases that has never really been matched. When he remixed the first album, by all accounts he helped to achieve the sound they were going for. I think as a producer he progressed along with the band, and when I think of the classic sound of Rush, I always think first of the albums he had a hand in producing. I have not read anything that described in any great detail exactly what their working relationship was like, or what precisely he brought to the whole process. All I know is that I love the sound of those records.

When they parted ways in the 80s – to prevent musical stagnation or whatever – I think the sound changed forever. The band still brought their prodigious musical and composition talents to the table, but it seems to me they were a bit too open to suggestion. Strangers invaded my music, adding synthesizer flourishes and programming and even background vocals. (I’m no fan of 80s music in general, so I’m very biased.) The post 84 part of the 80s decade is almost entirely an era of creamy, drippy, synthy Rush music, in which we are occasionally treated to adventurous and muscular forays into killer-chops territory (I think of Mission’s instrumental break, although it lacks the Brown sound).

Then we get the latter-day Rush, which many on the forum have characterized as too heavily-layered, too much a “wall of sound,” too noisy and cluttered and distracting. I wonder what Brown would bring back to the mix. It seems all the elements required to find that bygone sound are probably lost forever – that mixing board at that studio, that producer, that youthful band wanting to make that indefinable, inimitable, complex, razor-sharp, crisp, melodic sound. But maybe Brown’s influence would align the vestiges of those elements in just the right way, and if he hasn’t lost his touch, we might get an album that has that Permanent Waves clarity.

Just dreaming. Mostly this is just a tribute I've wanted to articulate for a while.

Very well articulated. I couldn't agree more. I don't think it will happen, and it's probably wishful thinking on my part to think that Broon's return would instantly transform them into the trio that produced "Permanent Waves," but I think he understood what they should be aiming for in their sound, given their unique make up and skills, than any other producer has since his departure.

I've watched interviews with him, and when he is listening to Rush tracks again, his face lights up, and he speaks with pride about "Ged's awesome vocal," or "Alex's soaring guitar" or what have you. Based on those interviews, and obviously I could be completely wrong on this, I think he would gladly welcome one final collaboration with Rush.

Part of my wishing it would happen is because I think everything post-Signals, despite many moments of brilliance, is at least slightly below most everything that preceded it...and I think most Rush fans agree with me on this. If we took a poll, I think Broon's albums would largely tower above everything else in popularity.

At this point, I'd welcome it just for curiosity's sake, if nothing else.

• Like 7

here we go with this again as if this would suddenly make it the 70s again

It has absolutely nothing to do with bringing the seventies back.

It has everything to do with clear sound. And an excellent record producer. Just last night I was reading again my Rush book. It speaks about how Terry took that mess of a first album and made it good.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 9

I don't know if it's all romanticizing but if Rush were making a final album. I'd want brown to help them go out. If nothing else it would probably at least SOUND good.

Mick

Right. At least give us a clear sounding recording and not this mush we got on CA.

• Like 7

Why do some of you say that it will never happen? If Rush does do another album, I think it very well may happen, unless what happened to make them part ways is more than we have been told.

In that event, that other producer they had - Peter Collins? - would do just as well. Of course, in my amateur opinion.

• Like 1

Why do some of you say that it will never happen? If Rush does do another album, I think it very well may happen, unless what happened to make them part ways is more than we have been told.

In that event, that other producer they had - Peter Collins? - would do just as well. Of course, in my amateur opinion.

Cause Lorraine......and i've always wanted to say this cause it's been said of me.......some people are negative and can never say anything positive

lol........ha that criticism sounds just as dumb coming from me, lol

Mick

• Like 1

interesting idea - but not sure how realistic it would be for them to join up after 30+ years to create something new...

perhaps more plausible, and for me just as interesting, would be for David Bottrill to produce. After hearing his improvement on VT, his TFE live mix for R40, and what I know he has done with Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, and Tool, I can only imagine how he would clarify the band's sound being onboard for a start to finish studio recording.

• Like 1

Don't you get it????

The man is a good record producer!!!!! The albums he produced for Rush have the best sound.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia.

It has nothing to do with going back.

The man is good at what he does. Anything Rush would do today, he would make it better.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

I agree. Besides Broon, I like Collins the best. I don't like his albums as much as Broon's, but Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, and Counterparts are all excellent, IMO. Crystal clear, melodic, and memorable. By Test for Echo, Neil had adopted Gruber's boring drum style and Collins couldn't really do much to remedy that. But it does sound great!

• Like 1

Except for Presto and somewhat Roll The Bones, the majority of their albums have have had good clarity. It's just since Vapor Trails that things have gone downhill. At one time I thought maybe they were making their albums so noisy to hide some of Geddys vocals but his voice breaking still comes through, so that can't be it.

Except for Presto and somewhat Roll The Bones, the majority of their albums have have had good clarity. It's just since Vapor Trails that things have gone downhill. At one time I thought maybe they were making their albums so noisy to hide some of Geddys vocals but his voice breaking still comes through, so that can't be it.

It almost........almost comes across as not giving a damn on their part.......i hope that's not the case.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

It almost........almost comes across as not giving a damn on their part.......i hope that's not the case.

Mick

I think they care; it seems to me that it's just that they are pleased with themselves for being so innovative and always trying new things. Sometimes it is hard for people like that to admit that you can't improve on a good thing no matter how innovative you are. Sometimes new isn't better; it's worse.

• Like 2

Mick

I think they care; it seems to me that it's just that they are pleased with themselves for being so innovative and always trying new things. Sometimes it is hard for people like that to admit that you can't improve on a good thing no matter how innovative you are. Sometimes new isn't better; it's worse.

They were at their best when they stuck with the power trio sound with just a bit of keyboard thrown in. They need to go back to that and stop all the layering, which just makes it sound congested, compressed and noisy.

• Like 5

Mick

They were at their best when they stuck with the power trio sound with just a bit of keyboard thrown in. They need to go back to that and stop all the layering, which just makes it sound congested, compressed and noisy.

yea i remember someone said of CA. THEY STILL GOT IT!!!!!

i said yea and Nick's trying to bury it, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mick

yea i remember someone said of CA. THEY STILL GOT IT!!!!!

i said yea and Nick's trying to bury it, lol

Mick

I'm sure he's somewhat to blame but he's got to have something to work with. If they agree to what he mixes then they're as much to blame as he is.

• Like 2