Google Abandons Google Glass - Nerd Community Implodes

Tony R

COMPLETE tools who want the whole world to know it are protesting the withdrawal of Google Glass.

The high-tech eyewear, which allows users to video every human interaction to prove that they were right, is being taken off the market after no-one normal was at all interested.

Early adopter Wayne Hayes of Brighton said: “Before Google Glass, I would often have to engage in minutes of conversation to impress upon others what an incontrovertible fuckstick I am.

“With Glass, I could get that reaction instantly and then re-run it in slow-motion for my own perverse satisfaction late at night, exulting in my own vileness.”

Tosspots are expected to get through the next eight months repelling people with loud conversations about Bitcoin before the Apple Watch comes out in September.

• Like 4

Two big problems I immediately have with glass

1) candid recording of others would be at a new height, the lack of privacy is disgusting and you can only imagine how many perverts would put it to f*cked up use.

2) we're headed towards having google brain implants. no one needs any sort of knowledge to fall back on when you can just google it ...it's a plague that's serving to make most dumber as they become less reliant on memorization and, well, learning...

• Like 1

1) candid recording of others would be at a new height, the lack of privacy is disgusting and you can only imagine how many perverts would put it to f*cked up use.

2) we're headed towards having google brain implants. no one needs any sort of knowledge to fall back on when you can just google it ...it's a plague that's serving to make most dumber as they become less reliant on memorization and, well, learning...

I don't understand that. When I was young, and I didn't know something, or I I was wrong about something, such as thinking NYC was the capitol of NY, I was told to look it up in the encyclopedia or dictionary. What's wrong with Googling something? I've learned so much with my smartphone.

Funny, I get mad at my family members for NOT looking stuff up, particularly my nieces who have smartphones.

• Like 1

2) we're headed towards having google brain implants. no one needs any sort of knowledge to fall back on when you can just google it™ ...it's a plague that's serving to make most dumber as they become less reliant on memorization and, well, learning...

I don't understand that. When I was young, and I didn't know something, or I I was wrong about something, such as thinking NYC was the capitol of NY, I was told to look it up in the encyclopedia or dictionary. What's wrong with Googling something? I've learned so much with my smartphone.

Funny, I get mad at my family members for NOT looking stuff up, particularly my nieces who have smartphones.

New York City isn't the capital of New York? Mind = Blown.

I totally agree with your first point. Google wants to record everything that happens, everywhere. If it is being done without people's consent, especially on a massive scale, that is just wrong.

On your second point, I see what you are saying. But having grown up and lived over 30 years without being able to Google anything, I have to disagree. I was, and still am, someone with a tremendous knowledge base that I have practically effortless recall. But I can't possibly know everything. It's really great to have Google to fall back on. I even resist the urge to resort to Google too soon, especially if it is something I know that I know, but realize that remembering it will take some effort. It is very satisfying being able to pull those bits from my memory.

However, I see your point, especially with regard to your peers, who have always had Google to fall back on for information, and so never really bothered to make the effort to really learn about and commit anything to memory.

• Like 2

2) we're headed towards having google brain implants. no one needs any sort of knowledge to fall back on when you can just google it™ ...it's a plague that's serving to make most dumber as they become less reliant on memorization and, well, learning...

Well again, there's a difference between learning from google and relying on it. To put things in a similar example, I personally noticed a few years ago that I had grown to reliant on spell check and decided to be more conscious of it. Now I won't routinely misspell bigger words I commonly use and just let spell check edit them for me. Bad habit! The internet is clearly a great resource for information, what I'm saying though is we shouldn't necessarily use it as an alternative for knowledge just because it's easier to fall back on.

On your second point, I see what you are saying. But having grown up and lived over 30 years without being able to Google anything, I have to disagree. I was, and still am, someone with a tremendous knowledge base that I have practically effortless recall. But I can't possibly know everything. It's really great to have Google to fall back on. I even resist the urge to resort to Google too soon, especially if it is something I know that I know, but realize that remembering it will take some effort. It is very satisfying being able to pull those bits from my memory.

However, I see your point, especially with regard to your peers, who have always had Google to fall back on for information, and so never really bothered to make the effort to really learn about and commit anything to memory.

Maybe I'm just projecting a bit with that criticism :LOL:

• Like 1

As we stood looking at dolphins in their tank today at Six Flags, an 18=year old asked me if it were true that dolphins raped humans. I laughed, and she said, "No, seriously." I told her that the idea was ridiculous, and she insisted it was not only possible, but true. "I googled it.", she said. :facepalm:

As we stood looking at dolphins in their tank today at Six Flags, an 18=year old asked me if it were true that dolphins raped humans. I laughed, and she said, "No, seriously." I told her that the idea was ridiculous, and she insisted it was not only possible, but true. "I googled it.", she said. :facepalm:

There have been instances when Dolphins have got frisky with SCUBA divers but rape..?

I've always thought that Google Glass was a very cool idea. It's too bad that there's been such a visceral neo-luddite reaction to everyone who wears them.

The problem isn't with early adopters, the problem is with imposing busybodies who obsess over what other people do.

Edited by KenJennings

There have been instances when Dolphins have got frisky with SCUBA divers but rape..?

Given today's re-definitions of all things sexual assault-related, that may make her right.

• Like 1

http://www.newser.com/story/167262/google-glass-is-just-too-dorky.html

From the above 2013 opinion piece...

(NEWSER) Looking through the images on the White Men Wearing Google Glass Tumblr has convinced Marcus Wohlsen that the much-touted glasses have a lot in common with Segways, Bluetooth headsets, and pocket protectors. "They're all too dorky to live," Wohlsen writes inWired. In theory, all these products seem useful, but we eschew them based on intangible factors—either because they're just somehow irrationally lame (Segway), or because they send bad social signals (Bluetooth headsets).

There's no getting around it, "walking around with a camera mounted on the side of your face at all times makes you look dorky," writes Wohlsen. It's inherently antisocial, separating you from the people around you. The hype surrounding it "is what happens when important tech people spend a little too much time congratulating each other." The future definitely includes wearable tech, but one look at that Tumblr is evidence enough "to transform the hypothesis 'Google Glass is too dorky to succeed' into a proven scientific theory."

• Like 1