Grateful Dead reuniting for 3 shows in Chicago in July

apetersvt

Rumors have been going around for quite awhile now that the 4 surviving members would reunite for their 50th anniversary. Was hoping they would do a tour as opposed to a 3 night one-and-done run. Going to be at Soldier Field (which is where their last show was before Jerry died).

I'm sure I'll end up trying to get tickets. Bobby was losing it the last time I saw him. Hopefully he'll be cleaned up and ready to go.

• Like 1

I haven't been paying attention to current rumors and news and so forth, so I had no idea about this!

Chicago is only about a five-hour drive for me. And the last time I saw Bobby was in 1998. (He certainly has had his ups and downs over the intervening years). As for Phil, it was '99- with Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, and I think Paul Barrere and Bill Payne from Little Feat (what a show that was!).

I'm very tempted...would love to see Billy the K and Mickey Hart on the same stage again.

I saw the Dead once in 1974 at an outside venue... After 5 hours, I left the show. I think they played 8 hours that day.

I can see why LDS/etc was part of the Dead experience. 8 hours ?!?!?

Would like to see this tour but it would required a jet and hotel.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5658_zps2dc4883f.jpg

Edited by custom55

Heck and I'm from the Bay Area. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the worst bands in the world! Phish sucks too! Sorry!

I saw Oysterhead though with Trey, Les and Stewart Copeland at The Greek in Berkeley. It was awesome despite all of the fukking lame Deadheads there!

• Like 1

I saw the Dead once in 1974 at an outside venue... After 5 hours, I left the show. I think they played 8 hours that day.

That image is moving......... :wacko:

:P

That image is moving......... :wacko:

:P

Holy Cow! Dr. Seuss!

I saw Oysterhead though with Trey, Les and Stewart Copeland at The Greek in Berkeley. It was awesome despite all of the fukking lame Deadheads there!

Haha. I most cerrainly won hate u for that. I may have been one of those 'heads but i know how you feel.

Haha. I most cerrainly won hate u for that. I may have been one of those 'heads but i know how you feel.

Thanks buddy! Never got it. I'm from the Bay Area too. I have a quick story for you. Back in the Nineties the original keyboard player of the Dead got a divorce.

Well his ex wife moved into the house across the street from my parents house.

The street had no outlet so there was a DEAD END sign on the beginning of our street. Someone took tape and made is say "DEAD HEAD."

It was actually very funny! She was really nice too. I think the keyboard player overdosed on cocaine.

I like Mickey Hart. I respect Jerry Garcia.

That's about it.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Brent Mydland, yeah. He wasn't the original but he was the guy from 79 to 90.

Never been a huge head, seen a ton of Phish shows. I didn't jump on the bus until about 97.

Saw Oysterhead in LA as well and there was far less hippies at that show. That was a better show by a million miles though, the SF show had no energy. I got to stand about 20 feet away from two of my favorite musicians with another of them about 25 more feet away. It was awesome

And for the record, he was actually their third keyboardist, chronologically. I loved his playing and singing, despite the fact that he was derided early on by fans for ushering in the sound of what they called 'Doobie Dead' (after the Doobie Brothers, and not...well, a doobie). Quite a shame- he died at age 36 from a combination of cocaine and heroin. He had two little daughters too, I believe.

I have to correct you on this, custom- I think the longest shows they ever played, the actual playing time was around four and a half hours, in three sets. So with two set breaks, I could see that being close to six hours or so, but that includes intermissions.

1974, outdoor venue...I'm gonna take a stab, was it at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City? They did play three sets that day.

• Like 1

And for the record, he was actually their third keyboardist, chronologically. I loved his playing and singing, despite the fact that he was derided early on by fans for ushering in the sound of what they called 'Doobie Dead' (after the Doobie Brothers, and not...well, a doobie). Quite a shame- he died at age 36 from a combination of cocaine and heroin. He had two little daughters too, I believe.

Brent could actually be considered the 4th guy on keys behind Pigpen, Tom Constanten, and Keith. But that's only if you count TC.

I certainly liked Brent's energy but was never a big fan of the Brent tunes (Blow Away would be an exception).

Ahh, I forgot about T.C., yeah. I liked the weirdness he provided. It fit that '68-'69 period well.

I liked a lot of Brent's tunes, but not all- Easy to Love You, Tons of Steel...no thanks.

Good Times (aka Never Trust a Woman) was great...I also like I Will Take You Home.

I actually scored lottery tickets for one of the shows. I could take the family on a comfortable vacation for how much those tickets are being offered for on Stubhub and other resale sites. I won't, of course, but the demand was insane.

It helped that I created a kick-ass watercolor/mixed-media mailing envelope for my lottery request.

• Like 1

Coventry, I had a pretty decent mail order envelope as well, but was rejected. The good news is that one of my bunch was able to score the 3 day seats on Ticketbastard Sat morning. I think the Deadheads may have set a record for demand for an event on their site.. So I will be there for all three shows.

Coventry, I had a pretty decent mail order envelope as well, but was rejected. The good news is that one of my bunch was able to score the 3 day seats on Ticketbastard Sat morning. I think the Deadheads may have set a record for demand for an event on their site.. So I will be there for all three shows.

That you all scored Saturday feeding-frenzy tickets I think is even greater odds than the mail order lottery! Congratulations! I don't know which show I'll get (I only put in for one show), but it'll be the GA Pit section. Good times.

• Like 1

actually, I'm not sure I would've seen the dead. phish I'd definitely see, since they'll play a shitload of covers and play the 4 or 5 really good singles they have. I can't stand most of their stuff, however

I saw the Grateful Dead once. Once.

I got started late. Saw Garcia Band in the fall of '91, Grateful Dead starting the following summer, and ended up seeing them about 20-25 times between then and '94. Definitely not their best period, but I still enjoyed the music and the scene.

• Like 1

I saw the Grateful Dead once. Once.

I got started late. Saw Garcia Band in the fall of '91, Grateful Dead starting the following summer, and ended up seeing them about 20-25 times between then and '94. Definitely not their best period, but I still enjoyed the music and the scene.

Those fall '91 Jerry shows were killer!! Unfortunately, things were headed downhill pretty quickly after that.

• Like 1

actually, I'm not sure I would've seen the dead. phish I'd definitely see, since they'll play a shitload of covers and play the 4 or 5 really good singles they have. I can't stand most of their stuff, however

Both bands have always been a total crapshoot. You can see the best show they've ever played....but just as easily it could be the worst. So many factors play into that.

As far as "they'll play a shitload of covers and play the 4 or 5 really good singles they have"....not necessarily true. No setlist means anything can happen. No songs are guaranteed and they don't play the same song 2 nights in a row (if they're doing 4 shows at the same venue, look for zero songs repeated). It can be exciting. but it can also backfire and all go to shit pretty quickly.

Edited by Justin Case
  • Like 1