True Or False? "Appetite For Destruction" Is A Top Ten Hard Rock Album Of All Time.

RUSHHEAD666

An Appetite For Construction Or Deconstruction?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. "Appetite For Destruction" By Guns N' Roses Is Easily A Top Ten Hard Rock Record Of All Time!

• TRUE! HELL YES! "TURN AROUND BITCH I'VE GOT A USE FOR YOU!"
    • FALSE! OVERPLAYED COMMERCIAL JUNK! ORAL SEX BLOWS!

So here is a sequel to the old "Appetite" thread I just pulled up from frigging 2007! WOW!

Now that it's 2015 I think it's time to give this record some more love!

It truly has withstood the test of time so far. Well at least for my ears!

"Paradise City" is very redundant but I love when the song kicks in at the end!

There truly is not one weak track on this album. Is there? What's your take?

This album is surely in my Top Ten Albums Of All Time.

You?

Footnote: ORAL SEX = AXL ROSE

Well, it's their best album, but I don't think most of the tracks are anything special. It's So Easy is my favorite of the bunch. Jungle and Sweet Child are great, but Paradise City is more fun to play on guitar than it is to listen to.

It might be, but I've never cared for GnR at all.

We also have Machine Head / In Rock, A Night at the Opera, Moving Pictures / 2112... And pretty much every Black Sabbath / Led Zeppelin album to consider.

Edited by Mr. Not

Really hate GNR. Can't stand Axl's vocals. Slash is a good guitarist but overhyped.

If I had to listen to one of their songs I guess I would pick Paradise City.

Saved me the bother!

I was addicted to this album when it came out, and loved GNR Lies as well. But as soon as they started to get insane amounts of airplay on MTV I got sick of them, and it dawned on me how overrated they were and how annoying Axl's voice is. The only gnr song I can stand these days is Rocket Queen.
  • Like 1

I am always amazed by how many people consider Axl one of THE great vocalists.

Eugh!

Slash is now with Myles Kennedy. Get Myles and Slash to record their own version of Appetite For Destruction, and I might just enjoy it.

But I will admit to liking Slash. He isn't close to my favourite guitarist, but I do enjoy his recent work (and not only because of Myles).

• Like 1

Earl just has a soft spot for Axl because he was wearing a Jerry Rice Raider jersey in one of his videos.

This is completely true. GNR are easy to bash, having basically melted down in the mid 90s and never having recovered. But when Appetite came out they were my favorite band. I saw them open for Aerosmith when they were supporting Appetite (Aerosmith was supporting Pump) and again as headliners on the Illusion tour (Soundgarden opened). They were phenomenal live. And Appetite, Lies, both Illusions and, yes, The Spaghetti Incident? kick lots of backside (check out this cover for evidence

)

There is not one song on Appetite that's filler. Almost 30 years later, and Welcome to the Jungle is STILL the song many sports teams play to fire their fans up. And, be honest, when you hear those opening notes of Sweet Child O' Mine you smile.

Axl is a joke now, and has been for years. Between 1987 and 1996 he was basically my generation's Mick Jagger and Robert Plant. Deal with it.

• Like 3

I am always amazed by how many people consider Axl one of THE great vocalists.

Eugh!

Slash is now with Myles Kennedy. Get Myles and Slash to record their own version of Appetite For Destruction, and I might just enjoy it.

But I will admit to liking Slash. He isn't close to my favourite guitarist, but I do enjoy his recent work (and not only because of Myles).

To be clear, I don't share your disdain for Axl. But Myles with Slash is amazing, and Myles does AMAZING covers of GNR tunes.

One of the things GNR really missed was Izzy Stradlin. He was a big part of the songwriting success. And one of his Illusion tunes, 14 Years, has one of my all time favorite lines that I still use:

"Just like a hooker she said, nothing's for free."

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

This is completely true. GNR are easy to bash, having basically melted down in the mid 90s and never having recovered. But when Appetite came out they were my favorite band. I saw them open for Aerosmith when they were supporting Appetite (Aerosmith was supporting Pump) and again as headliners on the Illusion tour (Soundgarden opened). They were phenomenal live. And Appetite, Lies, both Illusions and, yes, The Spaghetti Incident? kick lots of backside (check out this cover for evidence

)

There is not one song on Appetite that's filler. Almost 30 years later, and Welcome to the Jungle is STILL the song many sports teams play to fire their fans up. And, be honest, when you hear those opening notes of Sweet Child O' Mine you smile.

Axl is a joke now, and has been for years. Between 1987 and 1996 he was basically my generation's Mick Jagger and Robert Plant. Deal with it.

My favorite from Appetite for Destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7wumvUbR0

• Like 2

True...

...this album broke a lot of rules when it came out.

It was just what hard rock needed at the height of the age of hair metal.

To the younger listeners out there, no disrespect intended, you kind of had to be there.

It was the summer of 1987, I was 24 years old and living life to the extreme.

Just an amazing 53 minutes and 21 seconds of pure fun.

by bro had the album. it's one of my earliest memories of hearing swearing in music. my mom would request he listen to it on headphones. When i did catch bits of it......loved the playing. Could not stand axel though. He brings it way down, IMO. i have the record and Play it occasionally. those vocals though......yeesh, lol

Mick

It's easy to bash them now, but as my fellow Bostonian Rick said, they did kick ass when they arrived on the scene. In the middle of all the poisons and warrants, they were like the hard rock Ramones. I AM sick of hearing most of Appetite on the radio, much like the first Boston, but it IS a great rock record. I just don't ever need to hear it again haha
  • Like 2

You guys and your opinions and sense of humor fuel me to write these goofy rock threads! I love it!

Good times!

This Forum is good therapy. It's a coping skill for me as I go through tough times with my marriage.

Thanks for the laughs! I need them!

I try to be an upbeat person!

Anyway I get what all of you are saying!

I see a lot different opinions.

I agree with Rod!!!!!

"Rocket Queen" fuckking rules!!

Oh yes and it's true!! Axl is a Raider fan!!!

I remember when he was wearing that Jerry Rice Raider jersey!

He had horrific dreads and he was so fat that he looked like Sebastian Janikowski!! LOL'

• Like 1

Really hate GNR. Can't stand Axl's vocals. Slash is a good guitarist but overhyped.

Same here and if I had to listen to one of their songs from this album it has to be the song where Axel whistles??? I think that's the one.

Same here and if I had to listen to one of their songs from this album it has to be the song where Axel whistles??? I think that's the one.

Opps it appears that song wasn't on that album...."Patience"

http://youtu.be/H0ySi6smb6A

• Like 1