Pot Roast Recipes

Lorraine

I don't own a dutch oven big enough, nor do I (believe it or not) own a crock pot, so I will have to just make it on top of the stove in one of my biggest pots.

You have a stove/oven right?

If so, cook it in the oven not the stove top.

I don't own a dutch oven big enough, nor do I (believe it or not) own a crock pot, so I will have to just make it on top of the stove in one of my biggest pots.

OK

• Like 1

OK

Good,

I sear the meat and add the onions and celery along with the spices you prefer. I don't add the carrots and potatoes until a few hours later. Good luck!! The link I provided should give you many options. :D

• Like 1

OK

Good,

I sear the meat and add the onions and celery along with the spices you prefer. I don't add the carrots and potatoes until a few hours later. Good luck!! The link I provided should give you many options. :D

I was going to make mashed potatoes. The carrots I always cook separately and throw them in the gravy the last minute. I have more luck doing it that way.

How many hours in the oven and at what temp? Maybe I will make it next week.

• Like 1

OK

Good,

I was going to make mashed potatoes. The carrots I always cook separately and throw them in the gravy the last minute. I have more luck doing it that way.

How many hours in the oven and at what temp? Maybe I will make it next week.

Yes,

Thats a nice option for the taters and carrots. 350 is good. Just look at the link I posted. Depends on how long you want it to cook. I am off to work now. Have a great night. :D

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

I've made brisket in the oven but I'm not sure if I've made a pot roast. Are they they same thing?

No,

Here is a link for you.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8173784_difference-beef-roast-beef-brisket.html

Thanks. Sounds like you cook them similarly though. I guess the biggest difference is the cut of meat?

I've made brisket in the oven but I'm not sure if I've made a pot roast. Are they they same thing?

No,

Here is a link for you.

http://www.ehow.com/...ef-brisket.html

Thanks. Sounds like you cook them similarly though. I guess the biggest difference is the cut of meat?

Well,

I can't remember the last time I made a brisket. Here is another link with many options on how to cook it. I have watched shows on TV where a slow cooked smoked brisket is marinated for 24 hours then smoked all day or longer. They are a different cut. I do not own a decent smoker which is the way I would prefer to cook it.

http://www.bing.com/...brisket&pc=MOZI

Edited by troutman

No,

Here is a link for you.

Well,

I can't remember the last time I made a brisket. Here is another link with many options on how to cook it. I have watched shows on TV where a slow cooked smoked brisket is marinated for 24 hours then smoked all day or longer. They are a different cut. I do not own a decent smoker which is the way I would prefer to cook it.

When I've made them in the past I've put them in the oven in a covered pan with potatoes and carrots etc. I guess I've made mine like a roast. :LOL:

No,

Here is a link for you.

Well,

When I've made them in the past I've put them in the oven in a covered pan with potatoes and carrots etc. I guess I've made mine like a roast. :LOL:

Thats fine,

You have a few different options.

I use a slow cooker.

I first usually cut up a chuck roast into a couple chunks, trying to trim a lot of the fat off (otherwise the gravy is too greasy for me)

I sear the chuck roast in a cast iron pan, over pretty high heat. When I've rendered a lot of the fat out, and have a good crust on the meat, it toss it into the slow cooker with chunks of potato, carrots, celery and onion. I then cover with beef stock and let it do its' thing. Oh, usually add springs of rosemary and thyme to the party too.

• Like 2

I use a slow cooker.

I first usually cut up a chuck roast into a couple chunks, trying to trim a lot of the fat off (otherwise the gravy is too greasy for me)

I sear the chuck roast in a cast iron pan, over pretty high heat. When I've rendered a lot of the fat out, and have a good crust on the meat, it toss it into the slow cooker with chunks of potato, carrots, celery and onion. I then cover with beef stock and let it do its' thing. Oh, usually add springs of rosemary and thyme to the party too.

Oh yeah!!

Thats me right there. :ebert:

• Like 1

I use a slow cooker.

That's sounds so good.

I checked the price of chuck this morning. Unfortunately, it is $4.99 a pound, so we won't be having pot roast anytime soon. Unless, of course, they put it on sale, which they do from time to time.

• Like 1

I use a slow cooker.

That's sounds so good.

I checked the price of chuck this morning. Unfortunately, it is $4.99 a pound, so we won't be having pot roast anytime soon. Unless, of course, they put it on sale, which they do from time to time.

Sometimes around here, a chuck roast is $2.99 a lb, and they give you a bag of carrots, celery, onions and potatoes for free with the purchase of one. It's a pretty cool deal.

• Like 2

I use a slow cooker.

That's sounds so good.

Sometimes around here, a chuck roast is $2.99 a lb, and they give you a bag of carrots, celery, onions and potatoes for free with the purchase of one. It's a pretty cool deal.

For some reason I've never been able to figure out since I've been out here, every thing cost more here than in other parts of the country. They would never ever include free stuff like that with the purchase of anything.

I use a slow cooker.

That's sounds so good.

Even better would be the reverse - buy carrots, onions & celery and get free roast!

OK, anyone got a really good crockpot recipe for pulled pork? I am craving BBQ pork. LIX, I know you won't disappoint! (Know you probably use your smoker for that, but I prefer the crockpot so I can leave it unattended).

Okay. Killer pot roast first.

Heat some oil in a dutch oven or heavy soup pot. While its heating liberally salt and pepper the roast. Sprikle the roast with flour and shake off the excess. Put roast into hot pan and brown it on all sides.

Dark brown not light brown. Chocolate brown. (this will take some time to get it nicely browned).

Add sliced up onions, a bay leaf or two, salt and pepper and crushed garlic to the browning roast and cook them until they are soft. Then add enough of your favorite beer to almost cover the roast. Bring to boil and put into a 300f oven covered for 2 hours.

Add potatos, carrots or any of your favorite root vegetables and cook one more hour. Remove meat and vegetable from pot and thicken to make gravy.

Crock Pot Pulled Pork.

Brown a pork roast on the stove while crock pot heats. Put roast into pot add spices of your choice and half a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Cook roast following crock pot instructions for either low or high heat. Roast should be falling apart.

Remove roast from crock and shred with two forks.

Return shreeded pork to crock pot and check for seasoning, Add as needed and serve on sesame seed buns with extra pan drippings anbd red cole slaw.

Good luck and enjoy. So easy right?

• Like 2