Pot Roast Recipes

Lorraine

I still have that pork butt in the freezer. But this coming week is reserved for one of our yearly treats - corned beef and cabbage!

Do you have that for New Year's? A lot of people either eat sauerkraut or cabbage on New Year's. I've done both.

I still have that pork butt in the freezer. But this coming week is reserved for one of our yearly treats - corned beef and cabbage!

Do you have that for New Year's? A lot of people either eat sauerkraut or cabbage on New Year's. I've done both.

The corned beef? That's for St. Patrick's Day. Neither one of us is Irish, but I love the meal. And it's the only time of the year that the meat is affordable for us.

The corned beef? That's for St. Patrick's Day. Neither one of us is Irish, but I love the meal. And it's the only time of the year that the meat is affordable for us.

No I meant the cabbage or the sauerkraut.

No, I don't think I ever heard of that. At least not that I remember.

When I was growing up, my mother always made loin of pork on New Year's Day.

No, I don't think I ever heard of that. At least not that I remember.

When I was growing up, my mother always made loin of pork on New Year's Day.

Oh really? I just looked it up, and I guess it's pork and sauerkraut. I forgot about the pork part.

Superstitious?

Don’t forget your Pork and Sauerkraut for New Years

By John Rizzo

Something about the aroma of pork roasting in sauerkraut, brings back fond memories of the holidays. If you grew up in Pennsylvania, chances are this was a staple in your New Year’s diet. But why do we eat pork and sauerkraut? Because we were told it brings you good luck and prosperity for the year. The source of this tradition is not real clear, but there are some ideas.

More than likely it originated in Germany and found its way to the Pennsylvania Dutch. Families who had a pig were considered lucky to be able to feed their family throughout the winter. They would use the phrase “I have had pig” which translates to “I have had good luck!” Cabbage leaves were symbolic of money. Thus, having your pork and sauerkraut would bring good luck and a prosperous New Year.

While speaking of tradition, why the noisemakers and fireworks on New Years Eve?

This was to ward off the evil spirits that might be lurking around the New Year. So, if you have a hearty plate of pork and sauerkraut while banging and your pots and pans this New Years; what could possibly go wrong?

My grandmother used to make pig's feet and sauerkraut. It could have been for New Year's Day. She died in 1962, so it was a long time ago, and my memory of past events, if I don't keep them alive by thinking of them now and again, isn't what it used to be.

But maybe I ought to adopt this tradition and see if it works. :LOL:

My grandmother used to make pig's feet and sauerkraut. It could have been for New Year's Day. She died in 1962, so it was a long time ago, and my memory of past events, if I don't keep them alive by thinking of them now and again, isn't what it used to be.

I was raised to think this is what we should do so now if I don't do it I feel like I've jinxed myself for the entire year. :LOL:

• Like 1

I was raised to think this is what we should do so now if I don't do it I feel like I've jinxed myself for the entire year. :LOL:

I'm laughing with you. Isn't it strange how conditioned we become? Do you go out and throw a few firecrackers around too in case anything is lurking about your home? :scared:

I'm laughing with you. Isn't it strange how conditioned we become? Do you go out and throw a few firecrackers around too in case anything is lurking about your home? :scared:

I haven't done that but I have banged the pots and pans together while you open the back door to let the old year out and then open the front door to let the new year in. When I was younger it was always kind of a fun thing to do, but sort of a superstition is well.

• Like 1

I'm so proud of you Lorraine! I knew you could do it.

Pot roast is such a perfect comfort food.

Janie, it kept the tum warm for hours! :) Must've been the mashed potatoes!!

Mashed potatoes are the best. I make them at least once a week and I always make extra so we have leftovers. My oldest requests mashed potatoes for breakfast!

A mainstay in any Midwestern dinner! :drool:

It should be one no matter where you are! Mashed taters are just the best. But you have to make them with the right kind of potato, add lots of salt, tons of butter, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. And they can't be too thick or too creamy or have lumps. I use my ricer each time and I get the smoothest taters.

No lumps in the mashed potatoes? I think that almost makes them better, really. And throw in a few shavings from when peeling them. Mix with a little garlic, turn it into a gravy volcano and put it next to a big steak and you got the perfect dinner.

Mashed potatoes are the best. I make them at least once a week and I always make extra so we have leftovers. My oldest requests mashed potatoes for breakfast!

It should be one no matter where you are! Mashed taters are just the best. But you have to make them with the right kind of potato, add lots of salt, tons of butter, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. And they can't be too thick or too creamy or have lumps. I use my ricer each time and I get the smoothest taters.

No lumps in the mashed potatoes? I think that almost makes them better, really. And throw in a few shavings from when peeling them. Mix with a little garlic, turn it into a gravy volcano and put it next to a big steak and you got the perfect dinner.

For mashed potatoes, I want NO lumps! Sometimes I make smashed potatoes though and add grated cheese, crumbled bacon and diced scallion. And I serve them all lumpy because it works with the other stuff I add in. I always peel the potatoes too just out of personal preference. I don't like the texture of skin in mashed potatoes. I love baked potatoes though and want super extra crispy skin on those babies.

• Like 2

^^^ It's perfect Sunday food.

I went to Costco the other day and walked away with something like 45 lbs of pork butt. We'll be feasting on this stuff for weeks.

Yeah,

Especially now. Its - 5 degrees outside. :P

For mashed potatoes, I want NO lumps! Sometimes I make smashed potatoes though and add grated cheese, crumbled bacon and diced scallion. And I serve them all lumpy because it works with the other stuff I add in. I always peel the potatoes too just out of personal preference. I don't like the texture of skin in mashed potatoes. I love baked potatoes though and want super extra crispy skin on those babies.

I like them both ways,

i am the same way with baked potatoes. I love them nice and crispy. I eat all of it. :D

• Like 1

I like them both ways,

i am the same way with baked potatoes. I love them nice and crispy. I eat all of it. :D

Covered in bacon, melted cheese, and spicy as hell chili with a little onion in it. Perfection. :drool:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Didn't make the pot roast yesterday,

The price of Chuck was insane!! I will have to shop around.

The price of beef has gone up. I don't think we'll be having corned beef this week. Last year, it was about $1.70 a pound; this year it is on sale this week for $2.99 a pound.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1