Jump to content


Alex and His Guitar


  • Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#341 Xanadu

Xanadu

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1703 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

View PostMMCXII, on 02 January 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 15 December 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

He has tons of fans, you know.

Best note: I was conceived while my dad was at a Rush concert! Hahaha!!!

The "I like the drummer" one cracks me up. :lol:

Sponsored Post

#342 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostXanadu, on 02 January 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostMMCXII, on 02 January 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 15 December 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

He has tons of fans, you know.

Best note: I was conceived while my dad was at a Rush concert! Hahaha!!!

The "I like the drummer" one cracks me up. :lol:
"My grandpa says you're cool!"  :P

#343 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10819 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

This is how I like to think of Alex and his guitar

Posted Image

#344 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42347 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

The last time i ever saw Alex on stage with any spunky energy was in the nineties.  I forget which bootleg video it was.  But that's the way I want to remember him.

Or playing his heart out with everything he had at the end of Xanadu in ESL.

#345 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21781 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:09 AM

View PostLorraine, on 08 January 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

The last time i ever saw Alex on stage with any spunky energy was in the nineties.  I forget which bootleg video it was.  But that's the way I want to remember him.

Or playing his heart out with everything he had at the end of Xanadu in ESL.

Same here.

#346 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42347 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Who here has the bootleg Plastic Guitar from 10/25/91?  It's from Alex's scanner and, while you hear Geddy faintly in the background singing, the boot is primarily Alex's guitar. :wub:  I love it because I hear things that are normally drowned out.  

If you have it and never listened to it, give it a listen.

If you don't have it, maybe it is on Youtube.

Musical talent is a wonderful thing to have.  For those of you who have it, I hope you're grateful for it.

Edited to add that it is unfortunate to only have three minutes of La Villa, but you ought to listen to those three minutes.  Alex's fingers sure could fly!  :)

Edited by Lorraine, 23 January 2016 - 03:21 PM.


#347 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42347 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

In Workin Them Angels starting at 2:36, what kind of guitar is that?  It sounds like a mandolin?

#348 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5900 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostLorraine, on 25 January 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

In Workin Them Angels starting at 2:36, what kind of guitar is that?  It sounds like a mandolin?
Album credits mention that Lifeson also plays mandolin, mandola, and bouzouki.  My guess for that section is bouzouki, given the sound of the thing, but then I don't know what a "mandola" is.

My guess could be wrong.

Lifeson is mentioned in the "mandola" entry on wikipedia.  Doesn't say which songs, though.

There's a youtube video with "bouzouki" in the title, showing Alex playing what looks like a mandola, based on pictures I've seen, but two commenters are arguing.  One is saying, "that's not a bouzouki" and the other is saying "that's a bouzouki."

I've been very helpful, haven't I.

Edited by toymaker, 25 January 2016 - 05:19 PM.


#349 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42347 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 25 January 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 25 January 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

In Workin Them Angels starting at 2:36, what kind of guitar is that?  It sounds like a mandolin?
Album credits mention that Lifeson also plays mandolin, mandola, and bouzouki.  My guess for that section is bouzouki, given the sound of the thing, but then I don't know what a "mandola" is.

My guess could be wrong.

Lifeson is mentioned in the "mandola" entry on wikipedia.  Doesn't say which songs, though.

There's a youtube video with "bouzouki" in the title, showing Alex playing what looks like a mandola, based on pictures I've seen, but two commenters are arguing.  One is saying, "that's not a bouzouki" and the other is saying "that's a bouzouki."

Has a strange pingy sound.   I didn't think it was a mandolin; I was almost ready to say a ukulele.  Never heard of a bouzouki.  Better look that up.  :)

#350 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5900 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

I think I enjoy saying the word "bouzouki"

#351 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42347 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Toymaker, give it a try at work.  The next staff meeting, when someone says something you either approve or disapprove of, sit there and say:  Bouzouki!

Let me know what happens.  :popcorn:

#352 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5900 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

View PostLorraine, on 25 January 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

Toymaker, give it a try at work.  The next staff meeting, when someone says something you either approve or disapprove of, sit there and say:  Bouzouki!

Let me know what happens.  :popcorn:

They'll say, "Gesundheit!"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users