• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#21 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42094 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Geddy said he is a very emotional person, and his playing shows that.

Is that why his playing is able to touch others on an emotional level?  Or would he be able to do that even if he wasn't putting himself into his playing?

Sponsored Post

#22 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostLorraine, on 07 January 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 07 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I am wondering if those of you who are musicians can tell me if Alex's guitar parts are complicated or simple to write.

Depends on the era. Lots of his stuff is relatively easy to play, but it's stuff I'd never think to write. His approach to the guitar from a creative perspective is where his strength lies.

What do you mean by your last sentence?

And why do you say it is stuff you'd never think to write?  Especially you???  :)

From a purely technical perspective, Alex isn't anything to write home about. He's basically just a blues-rock guitarist as far as technique goes, but the reason he sounds so very different from, say, Stevie Ray Vaughan (who was a tremendously talented guitarist) is because he comes up with different ways of skinning cats. He's the master of making one guitar sound like more than one guitar. Playing in that style isn't hard, but applying that approach in the context of Rush was genius.

I'm a decent player -- somewhat edgy and emotive -- but I lack the ability to come up with truly inspired guitar parts.

Edited by JARG, 07 January 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#23 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostLorraine, on 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

Is that why his playing is able to touch others on an emotional level?  Or would he be able to do that even if he wasn't putting himself into his playing?

I think he strikes the perfect balance between cerebral and emotional playing. He's not the most emotive player out there and he's not the most cerebral. He's Cygnus.

#24 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 07 January 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 07 January 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Technically I would say most of Alex's guitar parts aren't hugely difficult, BUT it's all in his phrasing. In other words, it's not as much the notes he plays but where and how he plays them. One thing that has always stood out about his playing is how emotive his solos are. He puts a lot of himself in those notes. Geddy said he is a very emotional person, and his playing shows that.
Widdlesteen
:rfl: .... needed that.... :cheers:

Or Wankersteen.  :lol:

#25 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27719 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

I am wondering if those of you who are musicians can tell me if Alex's guitar parts are complicated or simple to write.

Depends on the era. Lots of his stuff is relatively easy to play, but it's stuff I'd never think to write. His approach to the guitar from a creative perspective is where his strength lies.

And why do you say it is stuff you'd never think to write?  Especially you???  :)

From a purely technical perspective, Alex isn't anything to write home about. He's basically just a blues-rock guitarist as far as technique goes, but the reason he sounds so very different from, say, Stevie Ray Vaughan (who was a tremendously talented guitarist) is because he comes up with different ways of skinning cats. He's the master of making one guitar sound like more than one guitar. Playing in that style isn't hard, but coming up with that approach was genius.

I'm a decent player -- somewhat edgy and emotive -- but I lack the ability to come up with truly inspired guitar parts.
My mother used to say that about pianists. My mother could play the piano and organ like nobodies business but whenever we would go and hear other players she would talk about how great their playing was. I was like "Mom it sounds the same as when you play" and she would say "No. That person is super talented on the piano or pipe organ etc. I can just play the notes on the page".... :huh:

Edited by Narpski, 07 January 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#26 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

From a purely technical perspective, Alex isn't anything to write home about. He's basically just a blues-rock guitarist as far as technique goes, but the reason he sounds so very different from, say, Stevie Ray Vaughan (who was a tremendously talented guitarist) is because he comes up with different ways of skinning cats. He's the master of making one guitar sound like more than one guitar. Playing in that style isn't hard, but coming up with that approach was genius.

My mother used to say that about pianists. My mother could play the piano and organ like nobodies business but whenever we would go and hear other players she would talk about how great their playing was. I was like "Mom it sounds the same as when you play" and she would say "No. That person is super talented on the piano or pipe organ etc. I can just play the notes on the page".... :huh:

She was probably hearing qualities that only she, as a player, could hear.

#27 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27719 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

She was probably hearing qualities that only she, as a player, could hear.
My brother and son were (are) both brass players and they would tell me the same thing. There is "talent" and there is proficiency. There is a huge difference at least according to them. My ear is of tin....

#28 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

That's hard to say for sure, since different people like different things. Guitarists like Yngwie, John Petrucci or Nuno Bettencourt throw a bunch of notes out there and impress people with their speed but I don't think that's the same kind of emotional level that Alex brings out in people.

#29 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27719 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

BTW JARG on a personal note, I always like when you wander out here amongst the bourgeoisie and break away from the SOCN for a moment. I really enjoy your perspective....

#30 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

BTW JARG on a personal note, I always like when you wander out here amongst the bourgeoisie and break away from the SOCN for a moment. I really enjoy your perspective....

Thanks Narp!

:cheers:

#31 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Did you give a listen to my old Rush tribute band's medley that I posted over the holidays. Folks who have listened to it say I really captured the 70's era Alex.

#32 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27719 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Thanks Narp!

Anytime brother and I mean that sincerely.... :d13:

#33 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Thanks Narp!

Anytime brother and I mean that sincerely.... :d13:

Right back atcha!

#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42094 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Yes, JARG.  You ought to do it more often.  It helps clear the head getting out of SOCN.  :)

#35 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27719 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Did you give a listen to my old Rush tribute band's medley that I posted over the holidays. Folks who have listened to it say I really captured the 70's era Alex.
I didn't hear all of it as I am lazy and have been somewhat preoccupied lately. Is it buried somewhere and if so can you pull it up somewhere that I can find it?.... :)

#36 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostNarpski, on 07 January 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I didn't hear all of it as I am lazy and have been somewhat preoccupied lately. Is it buried somewhere and if so can you pull it up somewhere that I can find it?.... :)

http://www.therushfo...90862-a-medley/

#37 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42094 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 07 January 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

That's hard to say for sure, since different people like different things. Guitarists like Yngwie, John Petrucci or Nuno Bettencourt throw a bunch of notes out there and impress people with their speed but I don't think that's the same kind of emotional level that Alex brings out in people.
Whoever Yngwie, Petrucci and Bettencourt are, I have no idea.  :lol:

I'm trying to remember if I ever encountered a guitarist who had the same affect on me but I do not recall any.

#38 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18887 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostLorraine, on 07 January 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

I'm trying to remember if I ever encountered a guitarist who had the same affect on me but I do not recall any.

Does Pink Floyd's guitarist do anything for you? He's like Alex in some ways.

#39 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

To keep it simple for non muscians,you have to have a feel,emotion for your playing otherwise it aint happening.The old blues players,three chords played badly but god they moved you.Alex has emotion in bucket loads.So did Hendrix.So does the Edge.Listen to his solos on Beneath the Wheels,Limelight,Avaidable Light,etc.They lift those songs to somewhere else.An arguement that i have with other guitar players is he is not as fast as Malmsteen,Petrucci or those characters in Dragonforce.Who gives a toss,at the end of the day its the song that counts.Guys if you learnt a few chords you could play passable fireside versions of Closer to the Heart,Presto or New World Man but not Xanudu or Camera Eye just yet

#40 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42094 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostJARG, on 07 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 07 January 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Does Pink Floyd's guitarist do anything for you? He's like Alex in some ways.
No.  If you want to know the truth, I dislike Pink Floyd intensely.  Always did.  Even back when they first appeared.  I always felt they were a rip-off of earlier bands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users