Last night in the States

The Analog Cub

Good luck kid!! :haz: :7up:

Make sure you find some good "fish & chips". :D :cheers:

And corn dogs if there is such a thing.... :)

Never seen a corn dog over here in my life...

Fortunate you are...
  • Like 1

Made it to my terminal in O'Hare. Only took the plane half a f***ing hour to park...

Waiting to board my plane for Newark where I will meet up with the other Cyclones going over with me!

Too bad I just saw this. I would have asked you to give a wave toward the east of the airport for me.

Corn dogs! We haven't discussed them in a few days. :)

What we need now is a picture of one...Troutman? :)

I think pretty much anything corn-based is a bit rare in England. At least a college professor I used to have said that was the case when he was growing up. He never even saw a corn chip or popcorn until he moved here to the US.

• Like 1

LOL HOW DO YOU GUYS TALK TO EACH OTHER OVER HERE I CANT UNDERSTAND A DAMN WORD

The way I've perfected is that if you've said 'what?' 3 times and still don't know what they're going on about, then you just smile and nod and pray they weren't insulting you :D .

http://www.thedialectdictionary.com/view/letter/Brummie/

Edited by LittleRushmonkey

Welcome to England, BowlCity :ebert:

And since I notice you're 20, welcome to legal drinking a year early :cheers:

(if you have any trouble with the Birmingham accent, let me know...I might be able to translate ;) It's a tricky one)

Oh how hard could it possibly be? Ozzy's from Birmingham, and he's not hard to understand.

• Like 2

Me and the other Cyclones went to our first pub last night called the Goose. Really nice place. Had a pint of Strongbow cider and a Guinness.

Today we explored the university's campus and bought some random shit we needed like US-UK power outlet converters, pots/pans, etc. They have an Aldi's here :LOL:

Tomorrow is orientation for all the international students so I get all my student stuff like an ID card, computer access, class schedule (they call them "modules" here WTF). Planning on trying another local pub tomorrow night.

Saturday I'll be going into downtown Birmingham for the first time to buy a bike and investigate the possibilities for a pay as you go phone. I've been told that a carrier called O2 provides phones paired with a UK and a US number, so people in the States can call you without paying the intl fees. I'll also investigate Poundland, basically Britain's Dollar Tree, which is completely different than what I expected it to be after I heard the name :LOL:

The people here, at least on the campus and flatmates for the other guys, have been really nice. None of my flatmates are back yet since it's still winter break.

• Like 2

Me and the other Cyclones went to our first pub last night called the Goose. Really nice place. Had a pint of Strongbow cider and a Guinness.

Today we explored the university's campus and bought some random shit we needed like US-UK power outlet converters, pots/pans, etc. They have an Aldi's here :LOL:

Tomorrow is orientation for all the international students so I get all my student stuff like an ID card, computer access, class schedule (they call them "modules" here WTF). Planning on trying another local pub tomorrow night.

Saturday I'll be going into downtown Birmingham for the first time to buy a bike and investigate the possibilities for a pay as you go phone. I've been told that a carrier called O2 provides phones paired with a UK and a US number, so people in the States can call you without paying the intl fees. I'll also investigate Poundland, basically Britain's Dollar Tree, which is completely different than what I expected it to be after I heard the name :LOL:

The people here, at least on the campus and flatmates for the other guys, have been really nice. None of my flatmates are back yet since it's still winter break.

Amazing what a pub can accomplish. :hail: :D

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like Hogwarts. :)

Tonight's my last night at home before I fly out of Des Moines tomorrow to start my study abroad in Birmingham, England. Will land in Birmingham sometime around 7am GMT. Hopefully nothing will get delayed tomorrow in Des Moines or my connection flights in Chicago and Newark, had a pretty bad snowstorm here today.

It was nice to be at home for a few weeks after an exceptionally rough fall semester but I'm glad the date's here so I can get all the airport shit over with. This'll be quite an eventful next few days as I get settled in. I'm hoping my "adventure at Iowa State" is enhanced by this 5 month experience. I hope your body is ready, England, cause I'm about to enter you.

Perhaps I'll be able to meet up with some of you British TRFers!

I'm so jealous to read this. Take the easiest classes possible as your education will not be had in the classroom. Travel as much as you can, and that doesn't mean in just in England.

No matter what you do, you're in for a great ride, enjoy it.

Remember, travel is the fire that lights itself and burns with a restless flame. Make the most of it.

• Like 2

What an Adventure!!

Enjoy your time traveling while you're young - and when you have a family, teach your children how to travel.

One of the troubles of this world is that so many feel the world is only about 20 square miles around their home.

Teach your children about other cultures, the value of different terrains, and experiences - the world isn't just pictures on the internet or in books, it's in the faces of the people in foreign lands.

Go,

Learn Things,

Then Teach Things that will INSPIRE.

Went downtown today and got a phone. Great city and compared to downtown Ottumwa and parts of Des Moines it's pretty safe.

Had orientation at the university yesterday and got my ID card. However, I can't log into my student account online because I never got my password :( gotta go talk to IT Services on Monday and get it fixed. Also, they instructed us all to go get our classes registered, but it's really hard to do that when most of their staff including all their professors aren't even on campus until Monday, so the majority of students including myself never got any classes registered yesterday. I feel like they handled that part of orientation very very poorly. So now I gotta banzai run all over campus Monday morning when the professors are actually there and hope I don't miss a class that day.