Caramelizing sugar

goose

So, I'm trying to make flan for the first time, from scratch. Step 1 is to caramalize sugar for a simple caramel sauce. Simple. Yeah, right.

One recipe suggested making it in the microwave, taking it out just as it turns a golden brown. Well, all I succeeded in doing was to make some amazingly sweet rock candy. So I tried it on the stove the second time, and again I couldn't get it to turn color. What the hell am I doing wrong?????

:rage:

Use a pan it's much easier. It takes a while at first but once it starts to melt it goes fast.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if the goal is to make the caramel not harden, you need to put something in it to keep it from doing that.

Edited by The Analog Grownup

So, I'm trying to make flan for the first time, from scratch. Step 1 is to caramalize sugar for a simple caramel sauce. Simple. Yeah, right.

One recipe suggested making it in the microwave, taking it out just as it turns a golden brown. Well, all I succeeded in doing was to make some amazingly sweet rock candy. So I tried it on the stove the second time, and again I couldn't get it to turn color. What the hell am I doing wrong?????

I like Filipino flan best

to make a caramel sauce - you need to cook the sugar in a pan until it turns golden brown. I always mix about a cup of sugar to a quarter cup of water, and add about a TB of corn syrup to keep it from hardening. stir until it all dissolves and once it starts bubbling, leave it alone until it turns light brown.

While it's bubbling away, heat about half a cup of heavy cream. When the sugar is the right color, add the cream and stir quickly because it bubbles up like mad. Then at the end, I add a little butter to finish the sauce.

I use this often when making flan, or a nice homemade sauce for sundaes

• Like 2

I like Filipino flan best

Say that ten time fast. :)

Use a pan it's much easier. It takes a while at first but once it starts to melt it goes fast.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if the goal is to make the caramel not harden, you need to put something in it to keep it from doing that.

Something in it...like what?

to make a caramel sauce - you need to cook the sugar in a pan until it turns golden brown. I always mix about a cup of sugar to a quarter cup of water, and add about a TB of corn syrup to keep it from hardening. stir until it all dissolves and once it starts bubbling, leave it alone until it turns light brown.

While it's bubbling away, heat about half a cup of heavy cream. When the sugar is the right color, add the cream and stir quickly because it bubbles up like mad. Then at the end, I add a little butter to finish the sauce.

I use this often when making flan, or a nice homemade sauce for sundaes

I'll give this a try. Thanks!

We grew up eating flan and the caramel is for the outside crust. Nothing more. in fact I cut off the caramel outer coating when I eat it.

My dad always just melted sugar in a double boiler, swished the caramel around in the double boiler, added the custard and finished it in the double boiler.

This outer coating of melted sugar turned brown on its own while the custard cooked. I think? Its been years.

But I know for sure it was no big deal.

We grew up eating flan and the caramel is for the outside crust. Nothing more. in fact I cut off the caramel outer coating when I eat it.

My dad always just melted sugar in a double boiler, swished the caramel around in the double boiler, added the custard and finished it in the double boiler.

This outer coating of melted sugar turned brown on its own while the custard cooked. I think? Its been years.

But I know for sure it was no big deal.

I did some research and living at altitude has someting to do with it. The dryness of the air makes it more challenging. It's been suggested that I add a little lemon juice to the mixture to ward off the crystalization.

I may just resign myself to pudding...

• Like 1