In The End

Lorraine

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the song?

2. 2. If so, which version?

• Fly By Night
    • ATWAS
    • Bootleg Version (Please mention name of bootleg in your post!)

I kind of get it if the studio version doesn't blow up everyone's skirt...

But that's the version that made me love it. ATWAS made me really love it! :LOL:

I heard the live version to many times to count before I ever heard the studio one. By comparison, the studio one was a bit of a letdown at the time. I could say that for most of the songs on ATWAS however...

I don't care for it much.It starts out great but i find the main body of the song a bit ordinary.Sorry.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but on the Fly by Night version of this tune, they do something I don't think they ever did again, which was to start the song in C - with I think a very down-tuned bass (those are some very low frequencies) - and then it sounds as though the tape speeds up (at around 1:40) and the electric comes in with a D chord. Kind of a neat effect.

You sure it starts in C on FBN? I seem to recall having to use a capo when I learned it.

I do know all of my guitars are out of tune, because I haven't played in a while . . . but to my "ear" it sounds like the first chord (12 string) is C. Maybe the guitar's tuned down a whole tone?

• Like 1

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but on the Fly by Night version of this tune, they do something I don't think they ever did again, which was to start the song in C - with I think a very down-tuned bass (those are some very low frequencies) - and then it sounds as though the tape speeds up (at around 1:40) and the electric comes in with a D chord. Kind of a neat effect.

You sure it starts in C on FBN? I seem to recall having to use a capo when I learned it.

I do know all of my guitars are out of tune, because I haven't played in a while . . . but to my "ear" it sounds like the first chord (12 string) is C. Maybe the guitar's tuned down a whole tone?

I think you're right, it starts with the acoustic playing C-F-Eb-Bb and then rises a half step to D-G-F-C once the electric comes in.

I think you're right, it starts with the acoustic playing C-F-Eb-Bb and then rises a half step to D-G-F-C once the electric comes in.

Yeah, but that would be a whole step/tone (C to D), not a half step, right? I'm not much of a theory guy, so I might be talking out of my backside. At any rate, it's kind of cool - and I particularly like those low bass tones - I don't think you heard much of that sort of thing on early 70s albums.

Yeah, but that would be a whole step/tone (C to D), not a half step, right? I'm not much of a theory guy, so I might be talking out of my backside. At any rate, it's kind of cool - and I particularly like those low bass tones - I don't think you heard much of that sort of thing on early 70s albums.

Yes :blush: my mistake, it is a whole step. Sorry about that.

Must have been the same issue they had with Xanadu being faster than normal A440.

Must have been the same issue they had with Xanadu being faster than normal A440. Well not faster, but higher in pitch.

Edited by EagleMoon

Yes :blush: my mistake, it is a whole step. Sorry about that.

;)

Actually, music theory gives me a headache sometimes! Do you think those opening chords on the 12 string are standard C and F chords, etc., or do you think the guitar is tuned down to D, and he's playing D, G etc.? I'm guessing the latter, because the sharped (barre) chords aren't as easy to play cleanly.

Edit: also, he's not just strumming those chords, but putting little flourishes in.

Edited by toymaker

Must have been the same issue they had with Xanadu being faster than normal A440. Well not faster, but higher in pitch.

Is it? I never noticed. On the Kings album you mean?

Or...maybe you're talking about live, when they segue from By Tor to Xanadu? You hear the synthesizer increase in pitch?

Edited by toymaker

Or...maybe you're talking about live, when they segue from By Tor to Xanadu? You hear the synthesizer increase in pitch?

Yes that's what I mean. On AFTK's. All of Xanadu is higher in pitch.

Edited by EagleMoon

Huh. Something subtle, like a quarter tone, or something? I never noticed.

It's very obvious if you try to play along with it. I'm not sure exactly how much higher it is, but it would be a semi tone.

It's very obvious if you try to play along with it. I'm not sure exactly how much higher it is, but it would be a semi tone.

It's hard for me to know for sure, but maybe there is the slightest pitch difference. Definitely not a semi-tone (that would just be F, right?). I wonder if it has something to do with European electricity conversion, or something. I heard or read something about Genesis having trouble adapting their keyboards in America.

It's hard for me to know for sure, but maybe there is the slightest pitch difference. Definitely not a semi-tone (that would just be F, right?). I wonder if it has something to do with European electricity conversion, or something. I heard or read something about Genesis having trouble adapting their keyboards in America.

I meant to write "wouldn't," not "would." It's just slightly sharp. But yes, in this instance, F would be a semitone. It's right in between E and F.

I meant to write "wouldn't," not "would." It's just slightly sharp. But yes, in this instance, F would be a semitone. It's right in between E and F.

Ah.

I suspect, then, that since they recorded in Europe they might have had that pitch problem that has to do with converting the keyboards for a different power system. I just can't remember where I came across that reference to the slight shift in frequencies in synthesizers between NA and Europe.

Ah.

I suspect, then, that since they recorded in Europe they might have had that pitch problem that has to do with converting the keyboards for a different power system. I just can't remember where I came across that reference to the slight shift in frequencies in synthesizers between NA and Europe.

I heard somewhere that it was something to do with tape speed while they were mixing it, but I'm not sure if I've seen a definitive source for that.

Ah.

I heard somewhere that it was something to do with tape speed while they were mixing it, but I'm not sure if I've seen a definitive source for that.

Hmm. That's probably a more likely scenario.

• Like 1

Yeah, the low note is somewhere between E and F. The theory I heard was that they played it a bit too slow for their liking (and didn't discover that until playback) so they sped up the tape just a bit.