ATWAS

Lorraine

Any TRF members at this concert?

For someone my age, there's something very comforting listening to this album. I love it, and am wondering if anyone here was fortunate enough to have been at this Canadian concert?

Even if you weren't at the concert, don't let that stop you from telling everyone what you think about the album. Don't be shy! ;) :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I wonder if 73 has any recollection of someone in here from the last 10 years that was there.

For a moment, when I saw your name, I thought you were going to tell me you were there, and I was already wondering: how could that be??? :LMAO:

• Like 3

Listening to ATWAS is like wrapping myself in a warm blanket. (A place you can escape the world -Where the dark lord cannot go-Peace of mind and sanctuary by loud water's flow) I think it is the sound of the guitar. Alex has come a long way, but back then, he sounded so sixties in his guitar playing. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

I wasn't at the show, but I actually do remember the day. The album was taken from shows played over three nights, and one of them- June 12th, 1976- was my sister's sixth birthday. She had a few people over for her birthday party in our back yard. I remember it (even though I was all of three), and I have pictures! :P

I don't listen to this album often, but when I do, it always elicits the memory of when I first got it- sometime in 1987 or '88. :blush:

My first live Rush experience was almost 25 years ago now, and I remember it like it was last week. It's strange to think that as of that time, they were only 14 years removed from the 2112 tour. Fourteen years doesn't feel like a terribly long time to me anymore.

I'm just babbling now...someone stop me!

• Like 2

I have been at that concert many times...

...in my dreams...

• Like 6

Listening to ATWAS is like wrapping myself in a warm blanket. (A place you can escape the world -Where the dark lord cannot go-Peace of mind and sanctuary by loud water's flow) I think it is the sound of the guitar. Alex has come a long way, but back then, he sounded so sixties in his guitar playing.

I don't think Alex fully removed himself from trying to sound like other guitarists until Hemispheres. On all the albums before Hemispheres, he sounds like his influences, though you can certainly detect his subtle growth through stuff like By-Tor and 2112.

• Like 2

Listening to ATWAS is like wrapping myself in a warm blanket. (A place you can escape the world -Where the dark lord cannot go-Peace of mind and sanctuary by loud water's flow) I think it is the sound of the guitar. Alex has come a long way, but back then, he sounded so sixties in his guitar playing.

Which is amazing considering he was in his twenties. ;)

• Like 2

:cheerleader: Amen...
  • Like 1

My love of this album has been well documented here. It was my first album purchase in 76' (along with Sad Wings) and is still my favorite recording by anyone, any time and anywhere. The raw power and precision is impossible to match in my view. :cheers: Lorraine for starting this thread. I could gush about this work all day, every day. A warm blanket is an apt description. At 54 years old I need that warm blanket from time to time. Fortunately after wearing it out so much from 76' - 81'ish I pretty much put it and most all music down for a long long time. So guess what? It sounds fresh as ever now as do all my albums I am finding out.... :)
  • Like 6

My love of this album has been well documented here. It was my first album purchase in 76' (along with Sad Wings) and is still my favorite recording by anyone, any time and anywhere. The raw power and precision is impossible to match in my view. :cheers: Lorraine for starting this thread. I could gush about this work all day, every day. A warm blanket is an apt description. At 54 years old I need that warm blanket from time to time. Fortunately after wearing it out so much from 76' - 81'ish I pretty much put it and most all music down for a long long time. So guess what? It sounds fresh as ever now as do all my albums I am finding out.... :)

Oh yeah!! :codger: :haz: :7up: :rush:

• Like 1

Oh yeah!! :codger: :haz: :7up: :rush:

Oooh yeah!! Just finding my way.... :)
  • Like 1

Unmatched energy, improvisation, great guitar up front, Neil like a maniac, Geddy still singing the high notes...this is the best live album the band has done...I just wish they played all of 2112.
  • Like 6

Which is amazing considering he was in his twenties. ;)

:laughing guy: What I meant was that you could hear the influence in his playing from the late sixties.

I don't think Alex fully removed himself from trying to sound like other guitarists until Hemispheres. On all the albums before Hemispheres, he sounds like his influences, though you can certainly detect his subtle growth through stuff like By-Tor and 2112.

I agree with that.

I rode my bike from Edmonton to Toronto in 2010 to see two Rush shows. While I was there I climbed the fire escape on Massey hall, light up a joint and cued up ATWAS on the iPod.. I remember looking down at the red door going into the alley and tried to picture them loading in their gear.. Silly I know but that's the closest I've come to the experience lol!

I was six in 76 but by 77 or 78 I was listening to my brothers copy of the album. I still have it in my collection :)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 4

Unmatched energy, improvisation, great guitar up front, Neil like a maniac, Geddy still singing the high notes...this is the best live album the band has done...I just wish they played all of 2112.

I even love the sound of the audience.

Hard to say what my favorite it, but I do like the extended Working Man, and I adore In The End.

I even love the sound of the audience

NIGHTHAWK!!! ;)

• Like 4

My favorite live Rush album. I love to put it on and look at the pictures in the tri fold. Pre MTV/live video this was the best. I was 5 when this show took place. Didn't see them until almost ten years later.
  • Like 5