ATWAS

Lorraine

First time I heard Rush. Bastille Day from ATWAS in 1978. What a ride since then...and what a fantasic tone document. So much atmosphere and energy. Me loves it. :smoke:

Thanks to Lorraine for the In The End thread and thanks to Narpski's tenacity, they got me and now I'm totally into it again.

Now playing: By-Tor :cheers:

• Like 3

First time I heard Rush. Bastille Day from ATWAS in 1978. What a ride since then...and what a fantasic tone document. So much atmosphere and energy. Me loves it. :smoke:

Thanks to Lorraine for the In The End thread and thanks to Narpski's tenacity, they got me and now I'm totally into it again.

Any time my friend. Enjoy.... :dweez:
  • Like 1

It's something, isn't it? It is an album I do not play often, but when I do, something about it completely captivates me and holds me to it for quite some time. An amazing concert and an equally amazing recording of it. So clear and concise and crisp sounding.
  • Like 3

You are very welcome, my friend! :cheers:

• Like 1

It wasn't till the eary eighties that i purchased ATWAS and i had all their other albums by then.I remember thinking this is blowing Exit out of the water.I took it over to my brother in law(R.I.P),a Stones,Zep fanatic who was yet to be convinced of Rush and his comment was 'this shits on the Song Remains The Same'.As was the norm till DS their live lps ended an era.ATWAS was the end of the heavy rock period and the band became more complex.Living on the other side of the world i have never seen Rush and i guess i never will but it would have been great to see the band in these lean and hungry years
  • Like 2

Those who love ATWAS should also check out Rush ABC! It's the old Cleveland show that was broadcast on the radio when Neil had only been in the band for like 3 weeks. It's insane!

He's not quite as good as on ATWAS but that's almost the cool part because he makes up for it with intensity! You can even hear little "mistakes" in the debut album songs but he's just an animal behind the kit!

Those who love ATWAS should also check out Rush ABC! It's the old Cleveland show that was broadcast on the radio when Neil had only been in the band for like 3 weeks. It's insane!

He's not quite as good as on ATWAS but that's almost the cool part because he makes up for it with intensity! You can even hear little "mistakes" in the debut album songs but he's just an animal behind the kit!

Yeah that is a good one.

• Like 1

Yeah that is a good one.

Apparently this one is available on vinyl. I may have to get this one someday....
  • Like 1

Also check out the Manchester June 1977 show, By-Tor segueing to the Necromancer was really cool and I don't know why they never did it again. But back to the thread, ATWAS is still one of my all time favorite live albums, it really captures the energy of the show. I listened to some of ESL last week and was reminded why I rarely listen to it, it just sounds way too clean and I don't know what they were thinking doing fadeouts of crowd noise between the songs.

• Like 2

I rode my bike from Edmonton to Toronto in 2010 to see two Rush shows. While I was there I climbed the fire escape on Massey hall, light up a joint and cued up ATWAS on the iPod.. I remember looking down at the red door going into the alley and tried to picture them loading in their gear.. Silly I know but that's the closest I've come to the experience lol!

I was six in 76 but by 77 or 78 I was listening to my brothers copy of the album. I still have it in my collection :)

Seriously?

If so, thats AWESOME!!! :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

I rode my bike from Edmonton to Toronto in 2010 to see two Rush shows. While I was there I climbed the fire escape on Massey hall, light up a joint and cued up ATWAS on the iPod.. I remember looking down at the red door going into the alley and tried to picture them loading in their gear.. Silly I know but that's the closest I've come to the experience lol!

I was six in 76 but by 77 or 78 I was listening to my brothers copy of the album. I still have it in my collection :)

Seriously?

If so, thats AWESOME!!! :haz: :rush:

Dead serious! The place even looked like it hadn't changed in decades :haz:

• Like 2

Yeah that is a good one.

Apparently this one is available on vinyl. I may have to get this one someday....

It is. 180 gram brown and orange vinyl!

He makes some pretty noticeable flubs on Fancy Dancer, too. That said, he played the songs quite well given how little time he'd had with them at that point. I don't know if it was his idea to make the changes to Need Some Love, but I think the song was much improved.

• Like 1

Also check out the Manchester June 1977 show, By-Tor segueing to the Necromancer was really cool and I don't know why they never did it again. But back to the thread, ATWAS is still one of my all time favorite live albums, it really captures the energy of the show. I listened to some of ESL last week and was reminded why I rarely listen to it, it just sounds way too clean and I don't know what they were thinking doing fadeouts of crowd noise between the songs.

I wouldn't call ESL clean,i'd call it murky and muffled like some ones stuffed a pillow over the recording mike.I had a bootleg from the same era that literally lept through the speaker ,especially on Natural Science. As for the fade outs it was a done thing on live lps at the time.Ted Nugents Double Live Gonzo suffered from it.It was mistake as ruins the live expierence.I think if they did that with ATWAS if would have been sacrilege

• Like 2

I wouldn't call ESL clean,i'd call it murky and muffled like some ones stuffed a pillow over the recording mike.I had a bootleg from the same era that literally lept through the speaker ,especially on Natural Science. As for the fade outs it was a done thing on live lps at the time.Ted Nugents Double Live Gonzo suffered from it.It was mistake as ruins the live expierence.I think if they did that with ATWAS if would have been sacrilege

You're right, clean is probably the wrong word for ESL, I meant how there was basically zero crowd noise but is recorded poorly as well. I really wish ESL had been recorded like the St. Louis 1980 bootleg which is outstanding and has tons of energy.

• Like 2

You're right, clean is probably the wrong word for ESL, I meant how there was basically zero crowd noise but is recorded poorly as well. I really wish ESL had been recorded like the St. Louis 1980 bootleg which is outstanding and has tons of energy.

ftr I knew what you meant, ESL has too much tampering and not enough fixing.

I hate the way the VHS copy has Neil talking in between songs and they cut to weird images.. and no drum solo :(

Loved how they ended that album! What a show! I guess thats it. Door slams. Perfection!

In the Rush book I have, it says that was them talking on their way out to their van and getting in.

Rock divas...they left while the roadies did all the work. :LOL:

• Like 1

So I'm 34 years old so I clearly wasn't at this concert but recently I was mentioning to my Dad that I've become obsessed with Rush over the past year because I knew it's a band he used to really like. He told me he went with my mom to the concert where they recorded All The World's A Stage at Massey Hall! I was so jealous to hear that! haha. He also mentioned that he saw Iron Maiden play their first ever Canadian show in 1981 with their original singer which also blew me away!

My parents were very young when I was born so a lot of my musical tastes line up with my Dad's tastes. My mom hates rock music though so I think it's really funny that he took her to the Rush concert! I wonder if you can hear her complaining in the crowd noise of the album. lol

• Like 1

Loved how they ended that album! What a show! I guess thats it. Door slams. Perfection!

In the Rush book I have, it says that was them talking on their way out to their van and getting in.

Rock divas...they left while the roadies did all the work. :LOL:

Even back then. You'd have thought they would have been humbled by the Down The Tubes Tour, but apparently not. :LOL:

So I'm 34 years old so I clearly wasn't at this concert but recently I was mentioning to my Dad that I've become obsessed with Rush over the past year because I knew it's a band he used to really like. He told me he went with my mom to the concert where they recorded All The World's A Stage at Massey Hall! I was so jealous to hear that! haha. He also mentioned that he saw Iron Maiden play their first ever Canadian show in 1981 with their original singer which also blew me away!

My parents were very young when I was born so a lot of my musical tastes line up with my Dad's tastes. My mom hates rock music though so I think it's really funny that he took her to the Rush concert! I wonder if you can hear her complaining in the crowd noise of the album. lol

So you were there in pre-spirit maybe? Just the gleam in your fathers eye? :D

I hate the way the VHS copy has Neil talking in between songs and they cut to weird images.. and no drum solo :(

No drum solo? Where can I get my hands on this???

• Like 1

Mine is like that too, but it's on DVD.

• Like 1

Mine is like that too, but it's on DVD.

I bought my VHS at Woolco in the 80's. If I still had it I'd probably send it to you Len. Actually I wouldn't mind watching it again because over the years I've realized that the sound quality on VHS with a 4 head player is actually pretty good imo.

Eaglemoon we got ripped off on that DVD! There's more than enough room for the drum solo on that disc!