Awkward: NJ Governor humps Jerry Jones' leg...

lerxt1990

Advance with the ball =\= advance the ball.

Fundamentally wrong argument.

The ball is the only thing to advance. The arm moves with the ball, and the arm is part of the player.

In football, the ball is the measure of advancement.

No. In this case, the person advances the same amount regardless of whether he reaches out or not. That's why it's important to read the rules.

The person is attached to the ball, and the ball is the official measure in football. A ball under control can not advance without a person with it.

Falling isnt a football move bro.

Usually, no. I agree and just said that. And if Dez had just fallen, I might agree. But he did more than just fall.

Reaching is a football move. It is a conscious attempt to advance with the ball beyond your current spot.

So are you "no catch" people saying if he had fallen to the ground holding on to the ball it would not be a catch? It most certainly would as he had clear possession transferring the ball between hands and taking several steps. So this stupid rule is all about the ball popping out. That is CRAZY. If the ball pops out is the steps and falling while in possession a football move? But if it pops out all this preceding action is then not a football move??? I am so confused.

There were no steps with possession, though he did have a foot on the ground. If he maintained control (meaning, the ball didn't pop out) then it would be a catch, regardless of whether he made a football move (see Note 1 of the rule). Because it popped it out, he has to make a football move to have it be considered a catch. Falling down isn't a football move...the player needs to actually advance to some other place with the ball. It is tough to swallow because when you see these plays, they almost always look like catches. But the rule is the rule, it is clear, and it is interpreted the same way virtually every time (I don't know of a case where it hasn't been, but I say virtually just to be safe).

I feel like Im the Reb of this thread. :) :)

Then you need to explain whether Bryant's desire to lose momentary control of the football was an objectively good or bad desire, when compared to the desires of the goal posts in the end zone the Packers were defending.

No different than the desire of the pylon at the goal line. A clump of styrofoam.

• Like 1

The combination of the fall and the lack of control led to the refs being able to make that call fairly. The rule should be thrown the f-ck out.

He had complete control be the time he fell. And he was reaching.

The ball popped out.. so no catch. Give it up bro. No football move and the ball popped out.

The combination of the fall and the lack of control led to the refs being able to make that call fairly. The rule should be thrown the f-ck out.

The ball popped out.. so no catch. Give it up bro. No football move and the ball popped out.

It was clearly a football move

The ground forced the ball out after he caught it, controlled it, and made a football move.

I don't see any reasonable way to consider it otherwise.

The ground forced the ball out after he caught it, controlled it, and made a football move.

It was clearly a football move

Meh. Debatable.

Many people, including me, do.

Many people, including me, do.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24957727/referee-explains-why-dez-bryants-catch-was-ruled-incomplete