Jump to content


Permanent Waves - Good or Bad?


  • Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

Poll: Permanent Waves - Good or Bad? (104 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Permanent Waves?

  1. I love it! (101 votes [97.12%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 97.12%

  2. I don't like it. (2 votes [1.92%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 1.92%

  3. I can take it or leave it. (1 votes [0.96%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 0.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostNarpski, on 31 December 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 31 December 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Does anyone NOT like this album?  I mean, how could you be a "real" Rush fan and not like it?  

:D

You do not have to fit the norm to be a fan of a band.

The notion that a fan "must" love certain albums is really frustrating to me.
I hope the fact that some most folks kid is not lost on you.... :)

If he says anything bad about Hemispheres again.  i will GUT HIM!!!!!!

.............................. :D

Mick

Sponsored Post

#22 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32227 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostLorraine, on 31 December 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 31 December 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 31 December 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Does anyone NOT like this album?  I mean, how could you be a "real" Rush fan and not like it?  

:D

You do not have to fit the norm to be a fan of a band.

The notion that a fan "must" love certain albums is really frustrating to me.
I hope the fact that some most folks kid is not lost on you.... :)
Apparently it is.  Who takes this stuff seriously?

My cat.

Sorry I have man PMS again.

#23 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32227 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 31 December 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 31 December 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 31 December 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Does anyone NOT like this album?  I mean, how could you be a "real" Rush fan and not like it?  

:D

You do not have to fit the norm to be a fan of a band.

The notion that a fan "must" love certain albums is really frustrating to me.
I hope the fact that some most folks kid is not lost on you.... :)

If he says anything bad about Hemispheres again.  i will GUT HIM!!!!!!

.............................. :D

Mick

Hemispheres is great. For me Rush have even greater albums.

#24 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

I can remember years ago DC 101 in MD would on Sunday's play a whole side of an album. They once played the first side of PeW and it made my day to hear that side on such a major radio station.

So yeah the album is great it's in my top ten RUSH albums.

#25 Captain Avatar

Captain Avatar

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia, PA

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

Asking a Rush fan if Permanent Waves is good is like asking a Star Wars fan if The Empire Strikes Back is good.  It's difficult to conceive of either replying, "No."

#26 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Let me add I think it's an insult to ask if this album is good or bad.....they're just some albums that should be excluded from such a question. Yes......no?

#27 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42100 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Let me add I think it's an insult to ask if this album is good or bad.....they're just some albums that should be excluded from such a question. Yes......no?
Well, gee, I'm sorry.  Just trying to pass the time and have some fun.

#28 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42100 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostCaptain Avatar, on 31 December 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Asking a Rush fan if Permanent Waves is good is like asking a Star Wars fan if The Empire Strikes Back is good.  It's difficult to conceive of either replying, "No."

Give the poll time.  I bet someone does.  ;)

#29 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

This album is prime future music :smoke:

#30 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

f**k off :)

#31 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42100 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 31 December 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

f**k off :)
Is that a no vote?

#32 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostLorraine, on 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Let me add I think it's an insult to ask if this album is good or bad.....they're just some albums that should be excluded from such a question. Yes......no?
Well, gee, I'm sorry.  Just trying to pass the time and have some fun.

Lady you ask anything you want to pass the time. It just seems it would be more fitting to pass said time on more questionable albums that's all. That way we could get a bit more mud slinging going on around these parts. Smiling.

#33 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42100 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Let me add I think it's an insult to ask if this album is good or bad.....they're just some albums that should be excluded from such a question. Yes......no?
Well, gee, I'm sorry.  Just trying to pass the time and have some fun.

Lady you ask anything you want to pass the time. It just seems it would be more fitting to pass said time on more questionable albums that's all. That way we could get a bit more mud slinging going on around these parts. Smiling.
You are always free to start the type of threads you would like.

#34 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostLorraine, on 31 December 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

View Postg under p, on 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Let me add I think it's an insult to ask if this album is good or bad.....they're just some albums that should be excluded from such a question. Yes......no?
Well, gee, I'm sorry.  Just trying to pass the time and have some fun.

Lady you ask anything you want to pass the time. It just seems it would be more fitting to pass said time on more questionable albums that's all. That way we could get a bit more mud slinging going on around these parts. Smiling.
You are always free to start the type of threads you would like.

Nah, you are doing just fine....when something interesting comes up I'll jump in or just talk bad about GUP. Smiles

#35 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17666 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

Venom and vitriol, slings and arrows, holy flippin' Hades...it's just a question, kids. And a question with only two possible answers, at that. Good or bad.

I say good. I say very, very good! Simple as that.

#36 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Ah just having fun on the last day of this year on a rainy day here in Palm Beach FL.

#37 tas7

tas7

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 745 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hobart, Tasmania

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Just simply a classic.

#38 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3908 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostNarpski, on 31 December 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostDisk98, on 31 December 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

My favorite album!

The Spirit of Radio: 10.0
Freewill: 9.7
Jacob's Ladder: 9.8
Entre Nous: 9.1
Different Strings: 8.5
Natural Science: 9.9

OVERALL: 9.5
Not even gonna ask.... :sigh: :eh:
What?

#39 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27719 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostDisk98, on 31 December 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 31 December 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostDisk98, on 31 December 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

My favorite album!

The Spirit of Radio: 10.0
Freewill: 9.7
Jacob's Ladder: 9.8
Entre Nous: 9.1
Different Strings: 8.5
Natural Science: 9.9

OVERALL: 9.5
Not even gonna ask.... :sigh: :eh:
What?
Never mind. It was silly anyway when I really think about it. The album (or at least the title track) right before this one you can't stand. Their style and sound hadn't changed that dramatically by then so I don't get it exactly. If you loved the MP-Power Windows era a bunch and Permanent Waves was just ok and the stuff going further back you really didn't care for, I guess it would make more sense to me. Like I said, silly on my part. I guess you ( and everyone) just likes what they like and thats the end of it....

#40 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Perfect album.  All the technical genius of 2112-Hemispheres, but none of the thematic goofiness.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users