Geddy's voice and the possibility of a new singer?

Different Circles

I know this is gonna get me flamed but in my opinion Geddy's voice just doesn't cut it anymore. Obviously at his age this is an inevitability but for me each tour the guys play and each album they make it seems that his once glorious screeching gets lower and lower and when he does try to hit the notes of old ..well lets just say he sounds very strained to me. I also find that when I try to introduce new potential fans to the band by showing them a live show they always say the same thing...these guys are incredible musicians but the singing is hard to take.

In the early days I just loved Ged's voice , indeed his singing on any album up to let's say Counterparts was just about perfect and certainly suited the music.

Obviously we as fans want the guys to play live for as long as is possible and they are still monster musicians. I know Neil has some tendon issues but it certainly doesn't seem to impair his playing in any way that I have noticed...he is just as good a drummer as ever as are all the guys standard of musicianship.

I for one long to hear some of the older stuff sung with the same power and verve as was done in the earlier times but I know that is not possible for Geddy.

Sooo.... here is my outlandish suggestion...how about the guys search for a young Geddy singer replacement for the touring at least?

WTF I hear you all scream! I know I know! But hey it may not be as crazy as it seems on first impression...the band Journey managed very very successfully to replace Joe (Steve)!! Perry with a young guy from the Philippines who sounded exactly like him. I know the 3 member dynamic would be compromised forever but just think if the guys were to find someone who sounded just like Ged in the early days,they could then play the early stuff perfectly.

Lets be honest I believe that the biggest barrier to future live shows must be Geds voice...it is conceivably the most likely part of the set up to break down and make it impossible to continue longer term, anyway personally I don't think it is ever gonna happen but after witnessing how well it worked out with Journey I just thought I would put the idea forward to my fellow Rush fans...this is my first topic ..go easy on me!!

Edited by Different Circles
  • Like 1

Let's be honest: Geddy didn't sound "great" last tour and the Time Machine tour. He can handle some songs but anything that required high notes, he didn't sound good.

His voice isn't in great condition. But look at the bright side... even at this condition he's much better singer than David Lee Roth ever was. :D

As much as Geddy's voice is a mushy/yodel-y shadow of what it was. He will never be replaced. I do think they should cut touring to preserve whatever is left in Ged's tank. And please......film closer to the beginning of tours. Cause the dvd's we are getting..........bite.

Mick

• Like 2

I thought Joe Perry played guitar with Journey... :sarcastic: Welcome to the TRF btw... :cheers:

Steve Perry :drool: I mean...

Cool. Just pulling your chain... :)
  • Like 1

YYZ News Service

Dateline: Dublin 21/12/14

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

THIS JUST IN.....

U2 Lead singer Bono has reportedly signed on to become the new frontman for Canadian power trio RUSH.

When asked why he simply stated "I still haven't found what I'm looking for.... I'll be searching the globe for my suitcase which fell out of an airplane a few months ago"

• Like 1

Just an observation. I always hear this "well he sounded great at the show I saw". " They just record to late in the tour etc.". I have been to enough shows in my life that I truly couldn't tell you how technically proficient the singer was or wasn't. Not sure I am buying that argument. All I know is recent recordings sound bad... :)

Just an observation. I always hear this "well he sounded great at the show I saw". " They just record to late the tour etc.". I have been to enough shows in my life that I truly couldn't tell you how technically proficient the singer was or wasn't. Not sure I am buying that argument. All I know is recent recordings sound bad... :)

Edited by Narpski

Lets be honest I believe that the biggest barrier to future live shows must be Geds voice...it is conceivably the most likely part of the set up to break down and make it impossible to continue longer term, anyway personally I don't think it is ever gonna happen but after witnessing how well it worked out with Journey I just thought I would put the idea forward to my fellow Rush fans...this is my first topic ..go easy on me!!

It would be like bringing a dead body to a taxidermist. Stuffing a dead body with straw to make it appear somewhat alive.

Circles, give it another try. We won't hold this thread against you. ;) ;)

• Like 2

Just an observation. I always hear this "well he sounded great at the show I saw". " They just record to late in the tour etc.". I have been to enough shows in my life that I truly couldn't tell you how technically proficient the singer was or wasn't. Not sure I am buying that argument. All I know is recent recordings sound bad... :)

Just an observation. I always hear this "well he sounded great at the show I saw". " They just record to late the tour etc.". I have been to enough shows in my life that I truly couldn't tell you how technically proficient the singer was or wasn't. Not sure I am buying that argument. All I know is recent recordings sound bad... :)

Geez. Effing phone^^^... :rage:

I know this is gonna get me flamed but in my opinion Geddy's voice just doesn't cut it anymore. Obviously at his age this is an inevitability but for me each tour the guys play and each album they make it seems that his once glorious screeching gets lower and lower and when he does try to hit the notes of old ..well lets just say he sounds very strained to me. I also find that when I try to introduce new potential fans to the band by showing them a live show they always say the same thing...these guys are incredible musicians but the singing is hard to take.

In the early days I just loved Ged's voice , indeed his singing on any album up to let's say Counterparts was just about perfect and certainly suited the music.

Obviously we as fans want the guys to play live for as long as is possible and they are still monster musicians. I know Neil has some tendon issues but it certainly doesn't seem to impair his playing in any way that I have noticed...he is just as good a drummer as ever as are all the guys standard of musicianship.

I for one long to hear some of the older stuff sung with the same power and verve as was done in the earlier times but I know that is not possible for Geddy.

Sooo.... here is my outlandish suggestion...how about the guys search for a young Geddy singer replacement for the touring at least?

WTF I hear you all scream! I know I know! But hey it may not be as crazy as it seems on first impression...the band Journey managed very very successfully to replace Joe (Steve)!! Perry with a young guy from the Philippines who sounded exactly like him. I know the 3 member dynamic would be compromised forever but just think if the guys were to find someone who sounded just like Ged in the early days,they could then play the early stuff perfectly.

(throws keyboard at screen)

• Like 2

I have to say this too. I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.

You have to face the reality. They aren't kids anymore. It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it. They all are. Little by little. They are in their sixties. Neil has a little girl. Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren. To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

Let them be. They've given you already the best decades of their lives. Well, not exactly given. It was pointed out to me that the tickets to their concerts have often come at a high price. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I have to say this too. I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.

You have to face the reality. They aren't kids anymore. It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it. They all are. Little by little. They are in their sixties. Neil has a little girl. Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren. To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

Let them be. They've given you already the best decades of their lives.

Excuse me, MOM. I can be as selfish as I want.

Edited by fraroc

That's not surprising.

• Like 1

That's not surprising.

Not even a little...Geez
  • Like 1

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it. I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show? I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it. I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show? I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you specifically. You aren't the only fan that will take them any way they can.

Secondly, don't put words in my mouth. I am the last one to rate your status as a fan around here. But, no worries, plenty others will.

Third, no. I wouldn't go see them if they got a new singer because they would no longer be Rush.

I am "only" 54 and I feel a bit selfish for hoping, wanting whatever for them to go on. I know how I feel even at my age, I can't even imagine how they do. A tough business and lots of wear and tear...

I wouldn't say "given," my last few Rush concert tickets have been rather expensive :D

As to the thread question, a new younger singer will never happen. I do agree that Ged's voice is getting worse, I can't imagine them even doing two more tours. And while I'm complaining, they should drop the intro/outro videos, they haven't been funny or entertaining in any way since Jerry Stiller was in them. Leave comedy to the professionals!

• Like 1