Geddy's voice and the possibility of a new singer?

Different Circles

I have to say this too. I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.

You have to face the reality. They aren't kids anymore. It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it. They all are. Little by little. They are in their sixties. Neil has a little girl. Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren. To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

Let them be. They've given you already the best decades of their lives.

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it. I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show? I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you specifically. You aren't the only fan that will take them any way they can.

Secondly, don't put words in my mouth. I am the last one to rate your status as a fan around here. But, no worries, plenty others will.

Third, no. I wouldn't go see them if they got a new singer because they would no longer be Rush.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I assumed you were referring to me as I started the thread but I see now you were just making a general comment. Apologies. As for it not being Rush any more well with the boys still playing their instruments to me it would still be Rush but obviously in a different incarnation, we will agree to differ on that point!

I am old school but on this point I would probably agree. As long as those 3 are on the stage playing I am good with it and would go. An additional "player/singer" or just singer wouldn't kill me at this point....

I completely agree with this. Would it be a little different? Yes, but Rush would still be Rush as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be great if they brought in a singer to tour with them who can sing the older material I've been dying to see for so many years. And that doesn't mean Geddy would be retiring. He will still be the best rock bass player on the planet, and will be able to focus entirely on his musicianship, which will be awesome. And of course he could sing some of the newer material which would end up sounding better since his voice would stay in better shape.

I also believe that at least some of the folks who say they'd never want to see Rush with a new singer would change their minds once they start touring. I for one would never miss a chance to see Rush…

• Like 2

My dad had an interesting idea that wouldn't exactly compromise the whole power trio chemistry but still might help lessen the strain on Geddy's voice. What if, during the more difficult vocal songs, we had an audience sing-along during which Geddy could rest his voice. We all know the words and melodies already anyway, especially for the more difficult older stuff. Sure most people can't really hit the notes, but in a giant crowd of people attempting to sing, who's gonna care if a number of people are out of tune? :)

Just a thought anyway, but I bet it'd be a lot of fun for Xanadu. :D

Not a bad idea, Depeche Mode does this a lot it seems.

I have to say this too. I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.

You have to face the reality. They aren't kids anymore. It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it. They all are. Little by little. They are in their sixties. Neil has a little girl. Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren. To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it. I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show? I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you specifically. You aren't the only fan that will take them any way they can.

Secondly, don't put words in my mouth. I am the last one to rate your status as a fan around here. But, no worries, plenty others will.

Third, no. I wouldn't go see them if they got a new singer because they would no longer be Rush.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I assumed you were referring to me as I started the thread but I see now you were just making a general comment. Apologies. As for it not being Rush any more well with the boys still playing their instruments to me it would still be Rush but obviously in a different incarnation, we will agree to differ on that point!

I am old school but on this point I would probably agree. As long as those 3 are on the stage playing I am good with it and would go. An additional "player/singer" or just singer wouldn't kill me at this point....

I completely agree with this. Would it be a little different? Yes, but Rush would still be Rush as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be great if they brought in a singer to tour with them who can sing the older material I've been dying to see for so many years. And that doesn't mean Geddy would be retiring. He will still be the best rock bass player on the planet, and will be able to focus entirely on his musicianship, which will be awesome. And of course he could sing some of the newer material which would end up sounding better since his voice would stay in better shape.

I also believe that at least some of the folks who say they'd never want to see Rush with a new singer would change their minds once they start touring. I for one would never miss a chance to see Rush…

They'd change their minds once they played all of Kings or CoS live I think!

• Like 2

I would never like to see another vocalists.

It would never happen, but I had a dream a couple weeks ago after watching the CA tour concert on TV that I was at an instrumental Rush show.

Overture - Grand Finale, La Villa, YYZ etc. No Vocals just a couple of hours of kick ass musicianship.

It would never happen, but I had a dream a couple weeks ago after watching the CA tour concert on TV that I was at an instrumental Rush show.

Overture - Grand Finale, La Villa, YYZ etc. No Vocals just a couple of hours of kick ass musicianship.

I think this would be the logical thing for them to do. Nothing wrong with releasing instrumentals. I would much rather hear something like that than to listen to him struggle to sing.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I see where you're coming from, but I agree with the majority here. Rush just wouldn't be the same without Geddy's voice no matter how bad it may be— and it honestly isn't that bad. He sounded okay last tour to me.
  • Like 1

I think this would be the logical thing for them to do. Nothing wrong with releasing instrumentals. I would much rather hear something like that than to listen to him struggle to sing.

Instrumentals would be fine with me. They have made some great ones. I would be up for 40 minutes of what they can put together for the next release. Enough with this 60 minutes and 13 songs crap....
  • Like 3

Instrumentals would be fine with me. They have made some great ones. I would be up for 40 minutes of what they can put together for the next release. Enough with this 60 minutes and 13 songs crap....

I still think it would be cool if they would do a concept album of just music and no vocals, or just a little bit of vocals. It would be right up their alley.

• Like 1

These are very strange ideas, an instrumental concert only or a new singer? Really? Rush is a great band and I hope they have one more tour in them and then I'd be fine with them retiring, however selfish that sounds. But to talk of neutering the band by replacing Geddy ?? :rage: :wtf:
  • Like 1

I still think it's a little stubborn of Geddy to try and sing every song as it is on the recording, and 86ing it from a live set just cause he can't hit a couple high notes. He's a creative vocal melody writer, and I think he could find new ways to sing old songs and still keep the spirit of the song intact. Drop a couple parts down an octave or whatever. There's some songs from the mid 70's that they could pull off, and all that Geddy has to do is change the way he sings a few syllables. I know that the boys are perfectionists, but I'd rather just hear them play the songs, it doesn't matter if they are identical to how they sound on a record that came out 40 years ago.

As for the actual topic of the thread.... seriously? New singer? Good lord, thats rediculous.

• Like 6

I think Geddy still sings pretty damn good live. If he were to hand off the vocal duties to someone else, he probably couldn't play half the songs on bass without screwing them up since his playing is based on playing the bass and vocals simultaneously. One thing they could consider is getting like two female and one male multi-instrumentalists that could play violins and cellos on some songs (like CA songs and Losing It), and then switch to supporting vocal arrangements on some of the older material and even newer stuff. This could be pretty powerful and not take away anything from Geddy’s singing, only enhance it.

I still think it's a little stubborn of Geddy to try and sing every song as it is on the recording, and 86ing it from a live set just cause he can't hit a couple high notes. He's a creative vocal melody writer, and I think he could find new ways to sing old songs and still keep the spirit of the song intact. Drop a couple parts down an octave or whatever. There's some songs from the mid 70's that they could pull off, and all that Geddy has to do is change the way he sings a few syllables. I know that the boys are perfectionists, but I'd rather just hear them play the songs, it doesn't matter if they are identical to how they sound on a record that came out 40 years ago.

As for the actual topic of the thread.... seriously? New singer? Good lord, thats rediculous.

This / tone it down however necessary. Or.. hire Meat Loaf :)

I wouldn't say "given," my last few Rush concert tickets have been rather expensive :D

As to the thread question, a new younger singer will never happen. I do agree that Ged's voice is getting worse, I can't imagine them even doing two more tours. And while I'm complaining, they should drop the intro/outro videos, they haven't been funny or entertaining in any way since Jerry Stiller was in them. Leave comedy to the professionals!

Jerry Stiller isn't funny.

And if Rush ever passed the lead singer baton to someone else, I wouldn't bother. Of course I ditched Marillion after Fish left, too.

Moot point anyway since the band have said themselves - several times - that if one retires then Rush is done.

Jerry Stiller isn't funny? Actually, that makes you funny for saying that. It's okay, not all people understand comedy. Do you have a website where you review comedy TV shows and comedy movies? If so, then I would like to visit it so I know that I can choose the opposite of whatever you recommend.

Just for clarity, no one is suggesting getting rid of Geddy. Not sure where that misconception originated, but it couldn't have been from any of the original posts in this thread. Some of us just think it would be a great idea to take an additional singer on tour this year to enable the band to play some of the great old tunes that so many of us would love to see.
  • Like 1

Just for clarity, no one is suggesting getting rid of Geddy. Not sure where that misconception originated, but it couldn't have been from any of the original posts in this thread. Some of us just think it would be a great idea to take an additional singer on tour this year to enable the band to play some of the great old tunes that so many of us would love to see.

Agreed. Not sure where that came from either. All the boys will still be on stage playing their @sses off indeed.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say "given," my last few Rush concert tickets have been rather expensive :D

As to the thread question, a new younger singer will never happen. I do agree that Ged's voice is getting worse, I can't imagine them even doing two more tours. And while I'm complaining, they should drop the intro/outro videos, they haven't been funny or entertaining in any way since Jerry Stiller was in them. Leave comedy to the professionals!

And if Rush ever passed the lead singer baton to someone else, I wouldn't bother. Of course I ditched Marillion after Fish left, too.

Moot point anyway since the band have said themselves - several times - that if one retires then Rush is done.

Jerry Stiller isn't funny? Actually, that makes you funny for saying that. It's okay, not all people understand comedy. Do you have a website where you review comedy TV shows and comedy movies? If so, then I would like to visit it so I know that I can choose the opposite of whatever you recommend.

I am certainly old enough to remember the Stiller and Mira act and I wasn't a big fan I will admit. However he was funny as hell on King Of Queens and I have heard he has been on some other shows to in the past 10-15 years. I must say because of the K of Q's connection I thought the R30 skit was awesome. Had I not seen him on the K of Q's reruns I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it though because before that I hadn't seen him in years....

Hey man. I KNOW FUNNY!!!

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/FLY_IGGLES_FLY/kirby-1024x555.png

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard! You can´t replace Geddy! Rush is not Rush whitout Geddy, Alex and Neil (maybe Rutsey), and I would stop listen to them right away if they replaced someone! I rather see them quit then replace!
  • Like 2

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard! You can´t replace Geddy! Rush is not Rush whitout Geddy, Alex and Neil (maybe Rutsey), and I would stop listen to them right away if they replaced someone! I rather see them quit then replace!

So would I, Zumbi, and I agree with you.

• Like 1