Geddy's voice and the possibility of a new singer?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 losingit2k

losingit2k

Setlist Swami

• Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

Geddy had found the way to tour again! One night on, One night off. I wouldn't even care if he'd take two nights off!

Sponsored Post

#42 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostDifferent Circles, on 30 December 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Sooo.... here is my outlandish suggestion...how about the guys search for a young Geddy singer replacement for the touring at least?

Posted Image

#43 himey

himey

The Seeker

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

:Dthey can always run a helium line up through his mic and it can just blend in with all the other stuff on stage.

#44 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17668 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostLorraine, on 30 December 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

They are in their sixties.  Neil has a little girl.  Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren.  To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

Let them be.  They've given you already the best decades of their lives.

I agree completely with this. I love the fact they still feel like making music together, and continue to tour. And I went for nearly 20 years in between Rush shows, until I finally saw them on the second leg of the Clockwork Angels tour (my last Rush show before that was in 1994)- I won't be making that mistake again. I'll go see them for as long as they feel like doing it. But the reality is that it won't be much longer.

They've given us 40 years of music and touring- that's nearly my entire lifetime. Ever since I became a fan, at the age of six or seven- basically my entire lifetime, as a music lover, I've always been able to talk about Rush in the present tense. Have I been spoiled by that? Absolutely. Do I catch myself still thinking sometimes that they will just keep going on forever? Yes, sometimes. But the fact is that by the use of any logic you'd like to employ, they are near the end of their careers. And I recognize that we've been blessed to have them for this long. (For example, Neil could very easily have decided to never come back, after 1998).

But to get back on topic- replacing Geddy? Never. Never, ever.

If you want to hear Rush songs performed live with the kind of voice that he used to have, find a good Rush tribute band. I know they're out there.

#45 antiquark

antiquark

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1576 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure Justin Bieber could hit the notes.  He's Canadian too, therefore would be a good fit for the band. :popcorn:

If Justin's not available, Geddy can always resort to AutoTune.  He can rely on technology to bring back those chipmunk screeches!

And yes, AutoTune can be used live, see video!

#46 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

I still like to hear him sing, despite the fact that he sounds like he's crying most of the time :lol:

#47 antiquark

antiquark

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1576 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Even some old-fashioned tech could help Geddy:

How to Hit High Notes with Helium

#48 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

Replace Ged!Never!I remember they were thinking about getting a keyboard player about the time of HYF because of the amount of keyboard parts that were creeping into their music.They were afraid it would upset the ,ahem,chemistry between them.So Presto was more stripped back and the keys were tamed somewhat.What if Ged found he couldnt play bass as well as he could.Call in Les Claypool,Billy Sheehan or Jeff Berlin.I don't think so.Interestingly we tried a new guy to our little folk trio that has been running for a few years just this week.It didnt work out both musically and personality wise.The 'chemistry' was wrong.

#49 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

My dad had an interesting idea that wouldn't exactly compromise the whole power trio chemistry but still might help lessen the strain on Geddy's voice. What if, during the more difficult vocal songs, we had an audience sing-along during which Geddy could rest his voice. We all know the words and melodies already anyway, especially for the more difficult older stuff. Sure most people can't really hit the notes, but in a giant crowd of people attempting to sing, who's gonna care if a number of people are out of tune? :)
Just a thought anyway, but I bet it'd be a lot of fun for Xanadu. :D

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 01 January 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#50 Phantom

Phantom

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:39 AM

I love seeing the band live, but I also love hearing new music from them. Given the choice, at this stage, I think I'd choose to have new material over another tour. Unfortunately, the economics of recording an album aren't financially sustainable and the current economic model dictates that touring is the only way to stay revenue positive.

Back on point, one of the things I enjoy most about seeing them live, is the obvious genuine love that they have for each other. They really do seem like best friends. No thanks on a new vocalist.

#51 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

The most stupid post of the year.
Replace Geddy? Jeez....
He sounded great on Clockwork.
Poster should seek attention elsewhere.

#52 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

View PostNarpski, on 30 December 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

View PostDifferent Circles, on 30 December 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 30 December 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostDifferent Circles, on 30 December 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

I have to say this too.  I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.  

You have to face the reality.  They aren't kids anymore.  It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it.  They all are.  Little by little.  They are in their sixties.  Neil has a little girl.  Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren.  To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it.   I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show?  I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,
First of all, my post wasn't directed at you specifically.  You aren't the only fan that will take them any way they can.

Secondly, don't put words in my mouth.  I am the last one to rate your status as a fan around here.  But, no worries, plenty others will.

Third, no.  I wouldn't go see them if they got a new singer because they would no longer be Rush.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I assumed you were referring to me as I started the thread but I see now you were just making a general comment. Apologies.  As for it not being Rush any more well with the boys still playing their instruments to me it would still be Rush but obviously in a different incarnation, we will agree to differ on that point!
I am old school but on this point I would probably agree. As long as those 3 are on the stage playing I am good with it and would go. An additional "player/singer" or just singer wouldn't kill me at this point....

I completely agree with this. Would it be a little different? Yes, but Rush would still be Rush as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be great if they brought in a singer to tour with them who can sing the older material I've been dying to see for so many years. And that doesn't mean Geddy would be retiring. He will still be the best rock bass player on the planet, and will be able to focus entirely on his musicianship, which will be awesome. And of course he could sing some of the newer material which would end up sounding better since his voice would stay in better shape.
I also believe that at least some of the folks who say they'd never want to see Rush with a new singer would change their minds once they start touring. I for one would never miss a chance to see Rush…

#53 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 01 January 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

My dad had an interesting idea that wouldn't exactly compromise the whole power trio chemistry but still might help lessen the strain on Geddy's voice. What if, during the more difficult vocal songs, we had an audience sing-along during which Geddy could rest his voice. We all know the words and melodies already anyway, especially for the more difficult older stuff. Sure most people can't really hit the notes, but in a giant crowd of people attempting to sing, who's gonna care if a number of people are out of tune? :)
Just a thought anyway, but I bet it'd be a lot of fun for Xanadu. :D

Not a bad idea, Depeche Mode does this a lot it seems.

#54 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 01 January 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 30 December 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

View PostDifferent Circles, on 30 December 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 30 December 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostDifferent Circles, on 30 December 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

I have to say this too.  I think it's very selfish to want them to go on at any price.  

You have to face the reality.  They aren't kids anymore.  It takes a lot to drum away like Neil does, and he's losing it.  They all are.  Little by little.  They are in their sixties.  Neil has a little girl.  Alex and Geddy have their children and grandchildren.  To want these men to continue going on just so we can see them perform and hear our favorite songs is, in my opinion, selfish.

A bit harsh.. I don't feel it is selfish in any way.I think it goes without saying that the guys themselves would have to want to do it.   I mean to say that it could be a possibility in the same way as it worked for Journey...a band also in their 60s. They wanted it to happen but this is only a hypothetical thread in any case. Ask yourself this if Geddy lost his voice entirely and the guys found a new singer would you go to the show?  I know I would and that doesnt make me any less of a fan,
First of all, my post wasn't directed at you specifically.  You aren't the only fan that will take them any way they can.

Secondly, don't put words in my mouth.  I am the last one to rate your status as a fan around here.  But, no worries, plenty others will.

Third, no.  I wouldn't go see them if they got a new singer because they would no longer be Rush.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth and I assumed you were referring to me as I started the thread but I see now you were just making a general comment. Apologies.  As for it not being Rush any more well with the boys still playing their instruments to me it would still be Rush but obviously in a different incarnation, we will agree to differ on that point!
I am old school but on this point I would probably agree. As long as those 3 are on the stage playing I am good with it and would go. An additional "player/singer" or just singer wouldn't kill me at this point....

I completely agree with this. Would it be a little different? Yes, but Rush would still be Rush as far as I'm concerned. I think it would be great if they brought in a singer to tour with them who can sing the older material I've been dying to see for so many years. And that doesn't mean Geddy would be retiring. He will still be the best rock bass player on the planet, and will be able to focus entirely on his musicianship, which will be awesome. And of course he could sing some of the newer material which would end up sounding better since his voice would stay in better shape.
I also believe that at least some of the folks who say they'd never want to see Rush with a new singer would change their minds once they start touring. I for one would never miss a chance to see Rush…

They'd change their minds once they played all of Kings or CoS live I think!

#55 Syrinx Priest

Syrinx Priest

The Seeker

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

I would never like to see another vocalists.

It would never happen, but I had a dream a couple weeks ago after watching the CA tour concert on TV that I was at an instrumental Rush show.
Overture - Grand Finale, La Villa, YYZ etc.  No Vocals just a couple of hours of kick ass musicianship.

#56 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21765 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostSyrinx Priest, on 01 January 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

I would never like to see another vocalists.

It would never happen, but I had a dream a couple weeks ago after watching the CA tour concert on TV that I was at an instrumental Rush show.
Overture - Grand Finale, La Villa, YYZ etc.  No Vocals just a couple of hours of kick ass musicianship.

I think this would be the logical thing for them to do. Nothing wrong with releasing instrumentals. I would much rather hear something like that than to listen to him struggle to sing.

Edited by EagleMoon, 01 January 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#57 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5714 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Any of the trio leave, it won't be the same. And for that reason, I would be out.

#58 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3909 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I agree with the majority here.  Rush just wouldn't be the same without Geddy's voice no matter how bad it may be— and it honestly isn't that bad.  He sounded okay last tour to me.

#59 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

I just feel bad cause at times it looks and sounds painful for Ged.  it may not be.  i just wouldn't want him to really do terrible damage you know.

Mick

#60 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice