The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

The Police are like DLR Van Halen for me. I like pretty much every song on every album.

Oh yeah, three favorite bands: Rush, VH and the Police! :notworthy:

Three good choices. If I had to rate them talent-wise from one to three, Rush would be three; personality-wise, Rush would be number one.

I'd just have a three way tie for 1st haha!

btw just noticed Ghost Rider in your sig. One of my top five Rush tunes. Especially live!

• Like 1

I have a bootleg of them playing in Melbourne on that tour, and they sound as tight as they do on the videos you posted. The setlist is full of non obvious songs like Deathwish, Truth Hits Everybody, Man in a Suitcase...

Is this the recording you mention from the 81 tour?

https://youtu.be/6WEO3lmIle4

• Like 3

I still blame Sting for breaking up The Police. If his ego hadn't gotten so big, then the band would've stayed together longer and released a lot more material as a group. For the most part, Sting's solo material is complete and utter garbage. I don't mind Stewart Copeland's soundtracks. I have no idea what Andy is doing. They went on a reunion tour a while back but they never came to my city.

Yeah. Dream of the blue turtles was great and parts of his second disc was ok.

From there it was downhill in a hurry. Nowadays he is cringeworthy.

Never saw the police snd its a huge regret. I did catch the dotbt tour though.

• Like 2

I have a bootleg of them playing in Melbourne on that tour, and they sound as tight as they do on the videos you posted. The setlist is full of non obvious songs like Deathwish, Truth Hits Everybody, Man in a Suitcase...

That's the one!

• Like 1

Oh, thank you for this link! I love them.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I still blame Sting for breaking up The Police. If his ego hadn't gotten so big, then the band would've stayed together longer and released a lot more material as a group. For the most part, Sting's solo material is complete and utter garbage. I don't mind Stewart Copeland's soundtracks. I have no idea what Andy is doing. They went on a reunion tour a while back but they never came to my city.

Yeah. Dream of the blue turtles was great and parts of his second disc was ok.

From there it was downhill in a hurry. Nowadays he is cringeworthy.

Never saw the police snd its a huge regret. I did catch the dotbt tour though.

I'm sorry I never saw them too. When I think today of bands I did see, I cringe.

Seen the Police on their reunion tour in 07/08 in Toronto - awesome - that DVD is a must have!!

IMO- Stings solo stuff -is fantastic he rounded up some of the finest session musicians of the era.

10 Sumnors tales is a great disc.I highly regard Sting as a musician and song writer. He would be a bugger to work with though.

Noteworthy: Dream of the Blue Turtles is a product of LeStudio-Morin Heights .

Every little Thing was also recorded there and so were the overdubs to Syncronicity

Around that time -Stewart Copeland picked up with a local band one nite in Morin Heights and gave his cymbals to their drummer

• Like 2

I love Canary in a Coalmine. That is probably my favorite Police song, ever.

The lyrics in Canary in a Coalmine are "a stab in Mr. Copeland". The canary was used in the early days in mining, and the bird would get restless in its cage at the earliest sign of a gas leak. A metaphor for Copeland´s ego and susceptibility to the most innocent of jokes. Mind you, I think that Sting´s antics within the band were really annoying, so it´s hard to blame Stewart for being that way.

• Like 1

The Police doesn't use triggers like Rush, do they?

Maybe. Even though they are simpler than most Rush songs, songs like "Invisible Sun" and "King of Pain" do use keyboards. The Police could easily use samples or an off-stage musician to enhance the performance.

• Like 1

Maybe. Even though they are simpler than most Rush songs, songs like "Invisible Sun" and "King of Pain" do use keyboards. The Police could easily use samples or an off-stage musician to enhance the performance.

The reason I asked is because it doesn't sound like it in the video Rod posted.

The reason I asked is because it doesn't sound like it in the video Rod posted.

I did a quick internet search and Sting used Moog Taurus pedals in concert. As far as triggers, probably not. The Police's songs aren't as layered as Rush's songs.

Any chance they would ever tour again you think?

Only when Sting runs out of money.

Never then, I guess. Unless he manages to give it all away like he wants to.

Maybe they'll do the next Desert Trip?

Also, you have to remember that Andy Summers is almost a decade older than Sting and Steward Copeland.

• Like 2

I think the last time Sting mentioned the reunion he said they did it out of nostalgia, and there wasn´t really a drive to write new songs or progress as a band. Stewart was happy that it happened, but said there wasn´t really much of a drive to continue. Andy´s got a million projects too. Sting´s new album - the first one of rock songs since 2003 - comes out next month, so I doubt he´ll think about The Police for a long while now.
  • Like 1

I think the last time Sting mentioned the reunion he said they did it out of nostalgia, and there wasn´t really a drive to write new songs or progress as a band. Stewart was happy that it happened, but said there wasn´t really much of a drive to continue. Andy´s got a million projects too. Sting´s new album - the first one of rock songs since 2003 - comes out next month, so I doubt he´ll think about The Police for a long while now.

I'm just sorry I missed out on them in the eighties. I had the opportunity, and blew it. I hate having that regret.