Hit the Slopes 2015

goose

So, today was my first day of the 2015 ski season. Kicked the year off at Northstar, CA. Started out icy, with limited snow, but in the end it was sunny and downright warm... a great day with the wife and skiing buddies. Took on a few moguls and the old legs handled them just fine.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/122314NorthstarAllenampDee2_zpsfd542977.jpg

Post your ski & boarding pics/stories here!

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

So, today was my first day of the 2015 ski season. Kicked the year off at Northstar, CA. Started out icy, with limited snow, but in the end it was sunny and downright warm... a great day with the wife and skiing buddies. Took on a few moguls and the old legs handled them just fine.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/122314NorthstarAllenampDee2_zpsfd542977.jpg

Great pic! :ebert:

• Like 1

We're going to Bretton Woods Friday. It's up in northern NH. My favorite ski area by far (I've never been out west). The conditions here have not been good of late (we're expecting rain and near 60 degree temperature today and tomorrow) unfortunately. Good for you getting out so early goose.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Cheers.

We're going to Bretton Woods Friday. It's up in northern NH. My favorite ski area by far (I've never been out west). The conditions here have not been good of late (we're expecting rain and near 60 degree temperature today and tomorrow) unfortunately. Good for you getting out so early goose.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Cheers.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Bretton-Woods-Ski-Area-Ski-Trail-Map.mediumthumb.pdf.png

Looks like a fun hill...challenging. We've had weathwer in the high 50's, so it has been ice early, slush late, with an hour of perfect in between. No complaints though!

Have a great holiday!

• Like 1

Great pic! :ebert:

Thanks, BC! Hope you have a fabulous Christmas!

Great day at Kirkwood today. Cold to start, but it softened up nice by 10:30. It was the lad's first day of the year and he did great!

Northstar tomorrow, I think.

Very icy day at Bretton Woods today. But a lot of fun. Heartbreak of the day came when my buddy and I and our sons got to the north peak at the end of the day only to find that our favorite trail, Two Miles Home, was closed.

One run on the ice and my daughter decided to join Mom in the lodge.

• Like 1

Very icy day at Bretton Woods today. But a lot of fun. Heartbreak of the day came when my buddy and I and our sons got to the north peak at the end of the day only to find that our favorite trail, Two Miles Home, was closed.

I hate skiing on ice. Out west ice is rare. I know how spoiled we are. My buddy from Eastern Canada gets after whenever I complain about firm conditions.

We had a clear sunny day at Northstar one the 2nd. I even got the lad to tackle a wicked mogul run. Here's me with the wife and kid...

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/1215NorthstarToddDeeAllen2_zpsfb5a4439.jpg

• Like 3

I don't think I'm going to get out skiing this year. :( The wife and I are talking about getting out to Salt Lake next winter though. :banana:

It's nice when you have a close friend that lives near all the resorts (Workingcinderellaman). We stay at WCMs and just need to pay for the trip out and lift tickets. And SLC may be the best place to ski in the US. :haz: WCM was the one who really got me into the sport. I've gotten good enough that I'm able to do some black diamonds at Powder Mountain. Vertical drop isn't an issue for me. I have problems with big moguls. I tore my rotator cuff in 2013 when I fell funny off of a mogul at Alta. :( I love Powder Mountain because they groom the hell out of that place. Nice and smooth. Perfect for a novice like me. :)

I'm surprised that WCM hasn't found that thread. That dude can ski!

• Like 2

Found it. :)

I bought a season pass to Snowbasin this year because it's only about twenty minutes away from my work. I bring my skis to work and go up after on my short days. The first time I went up was the first week of December. I used some old skis I had because there wasn't much snow. I was glad I did. More rocks than I can remember. One hill probably should have been closed but it wasn't. I'm not used to rocks because we usually get decent snow. Anyway, its gotten progressively better since then and the snow has gotten much to the point where I really like it. I would recommend planning any ski vacations at the end of January for the best snow. It usually lasts until the end of March. It's decent right now.

I did buy some new skis this year that I really love. They're all-mountain K2s with a little bit of rocker. They do excellent in the crud and on moguls.

If anyone wants to come out to Utah and ski with me let me know.

• Like 1

I don't think I'm going to get out skiing this year. :( The wife and I are talking about getting out to Salt Lake next winter though. :banana:

It's nice when you have a close friend that lives near all the resorts (Workingcinderellaman). We stay at WCMs and just need to pay for the trip out and lift tickets. And SLC may be the best place to ski in the US. :haz: WCM was the one who really got me into the sport. I've gotten good enough that I'm able to do some black diamonds at Powder Mountain. Vertical drop isn't an issue for me. I have problems with big moguls. I tore my rotator cuff in 2013 when I fell funny off of a mogul at Alta. :( I love Powder Mountain because they groom the hell out of that place. Nice and smooth. Perfect for a novice like me. :)

I'm surprised that WCM hasn't found that thread. That dude can ski!

I found out something interesting the other day that I didn't know. Powder Mountain has more square footage than Snowbasin. Not nearly the vertical though and you can't beat the high speed gondolas at Snowbasin.

I hate skiing on ice. Out west ice is rare. I know how spoiled we are. My buddy from Eastern Canada gets after whenever I complain about firm conditions.

We had a clear sunny day at Northstar one the 2nd. I even got the lad to tackle a wicked mogul run. Here's me with the wife and kid...

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/1215NorthstarToddDeeAllen2_zpsfb5a4439.jpg

I hate ice as well. This is why I'm not a fan of spring skiing. One time I was skiing with my friend from California at Big Bear. That place has horrible snow IMO. Maybe it was a bad day, but the snow wasn't at all like it is here or ever is for that matter.

I've never been up north where you are. I would like to try the Tahoe area out someday.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

I hate ice as well. This is why I'm not a fan of spring skiing. One time I was skiing with my friend from California at Big Bear. That place has horrible snow IMO. Maybe it was a bad day, but the snow wasn't at all like it is here or ever is for that matter.

I've never been up north where you are. I would like to try the Tahoe area out someday.

Come on out! The chalet is always open!

My sister has a "cabin" (monster second home) at Big Bear. SoCal skiing? No thanks. You and I live in prime ski country... Yours is actually the best snow-wise! Utah powder... :drool:

Hey, I don't know what you pay for your ski passes, but there is a pass offered that gives you skiing at three Tahoe resorts, five Colorado resorts, plus Park City and the Canyons.

Unlimited, unrestricted skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton and Arapahoe Basin with limited restrictions at Park City, Canyons, Heavenly, Northstar & Kirkwood. Also includes a total of 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek with holiday restrictions.

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx

Come on out! The chalet is always open!

My sister has a "cabin" (monster second home) at Big Bear. SoCal skiing? No thanks. You and I live in prime ski country... Yours is actually the best snow-wise! Utah powder... :drool:

Hey, I don't know what you pay for your ski passes, but there is a pass offered that gives you skiing at three Tahoe resorts, five Colorado resorts, plus Park City and the Canyons.

Unlimited, unrestricted skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton and Arapahoe Basin with limited restrictions at Park City, Canyons, Heavenly, Northstar & Kirkwood. Also includes a total of 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek with holiday restrictions.

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx

Thanks and if you ever want to come here let me know.

I've heard about that pass. That would be fun. The pass I have now gives me access to some Idaho resorts including Sun Valley.

They keep talking about a plan to join all of the Salt Lake resorts to the Park City resorts to create a mega-resort. You would be able to ski from one resort to any of the others. If they do it, it will be the biggest ski resort in the western hemisphere. Not sure how they're planning on charging for a pass.

• Like 1

So, skiing last weekend, wifey actually skied out of her binding, breaking off the mounting plate. Taking it as a sign that she was ready for an update in gear, I just ordered her a set of
skis (162cm). She's stoked to finally be moving up from her first generation shape skis, a set of K2 Axis, circa A.D. 2000.

So, skiing last weekend, wifey actually skied out of her binding, breaking off the mounting plate. Taking it as a sign that she was ready for an update in gear, I just ordered her a set of

skis (162cm). She's stoked to finally be moving up from her first generation shape skis, a set of K2 Axis, circa A.D. 2000.

I just got a set of K2 AMP 80XTIs this year and they're awesome. 88 I think is a pretty good width for all mountain. It's funny to talk to the kids at the ski shops. They act like you can't ski powder with anything less than 100mm of width. I want to show them what I skied deep powder as a kid.

• Like 1

We went to Gunstock in Gilford, NH yesterday before the games. Saturday I was on the fence about going up, because the forecast was for rain. But my wife and cousin prevailed on me that, while it might rain in Boston, it would likely snow in northern NH. So we made the trip up after hockey Saturday early evening. It didn't snow. It was sleeting. But those conditions kept the crowds away. Unfortunately, after about 5 runs my kids started to feel the rain coming through their gear, so that was the end of the day. Pity. Gunstock has an amazing view of the White Mountains.
  • Like 1

^^^ Check the old school boots. Solomon SX92 rear-entries, day-glow pink accent.

:7up:

Hey there - I was scrolling down this thread and I did notice those. Then I saw your post about them and figured I'd ask -- serious question here, not trying to be a dink - is there a reason why you use those? You seem like you really enjoy skiing - that's awesome. I can't tell if you have been at it a long time or are relatively new, but it would be a rare skier who doesn't suffer a performance loss using old rear-entry boots. Plus, it's quite likely that the plastic has gotten brittle and will break - I've seen the toes snap completely off. Have you tried a newer traditional buckle boot? I myself still ski in my Nordica Grand Prix - nearly 20 yrs old, so I should take my own advice, but they fit TIGHT - they are still fantastic at transferring energy to the ski. Well, anyway if you love them that is all that matters - I have known people who's feet they fit very well and for them the comfort factor can't be beat. Just thought I'd ask - but only because you pointed them out. Also, I saw another post how you got your wife the Rosi '88's - I'm sure she loves them. I am now on the Experience '88's and am quite pleased. Though as Rick N. Backer has noted - here in the Northeast current conditions are "New England Packed Powder" (aka "firm"or out and out ice) and my old Atomic Beta-Carvs are more suited - we need a few manageable storms!

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

We went to Gunstock in Gilford, NH yesterday before the games. Saturday I was on the fence about going up, because the forecast was for rain. But my wife and cousin prevailed on me that, while it might rain in Boston, it would likely snow in northern NH. So we made the trip up after hockey Saturday early evening. It didn't snow. It was sleeting. But those conditions kept the crowds away. Unfortunately, after about 5 runs my kids started to feel the rain coming through their gear, so that was the end of the day. Pity. Gunstock has an amazing view of the White Mountains.

Bummer aboutthe weather. Out here it's the opposite. Pure drought. But like you say, it's still beautiful!
  • Like 1

^^^ Check the old school boots. Solomon SX92 rear-entries, day-glow pink accent.

:7up:

Hey there - I was scrolling down this thread and I did notice those. Then I saw your post about them and figured I'd ask -- serious question here, not trying to be a dink - is there a reason why you use those? You seem like you really enjoy skiing - that's awesome. I can't tell if you have been at it a long time or are relatively new, but it would be a rare skier who doesn't suffer a performance loss using old rear-entry boots. Plus, it's quite likely that the plastic has gotten brittle and will break - I've seen the toes snap completely off. Have you tried a newer traditional buckle boot? I myself still ski in my Nordica Grand Prix - nearly 20 yrs old, so I should take my own advice, but they fit TIGHT - they are still fantastic at transferring energy to the ski. Well, anyway if you love them that is all that matters - I have known people who's feet they fit very well and for them the comfort factor can't be beat. Just thought I'd ask - but only because you pointed them out. Also, I saw another post how you got your wife the Rosi '88's - I'm sure she loves them. I am now on the Experience '88's and am quite pleased. Though as Rick N. Backer has noted - here in the Northeast current conditions are "New England Packed Powder" (aka "firm"or out and out ice) and my old Atomic Beta-Carvs are more suited - we need a few manageable storms!

Enjoy!!

re: the boots, I went back to them a couple of years ago when my ski buddies and I did an end of season retro ski day, and they felt so nice I've just kept using them. They were the bomb back in the day, and are still great I had upgraded to a nice Solomon 4-buckle, which fit nice and tight, but one year they just started hurting my feet, My old SX's don't have perfect fit in terms of a high performance boot, but skis are so good these days I don't notice much control loss. I can tear it up just fine, and my feet feel great at the end of the day.

Plus, they're a great conversation piece in the hill!

Bummer aboutthe weather. Out here it's the opposite. Pure drought. But like you say, it's still beautiful!

My kids are old enough that I think flying out west with them would be tolerable (for me :) ). I think in the next couple of years we're going to try either Utah or Colorado. I've never skied out west, so I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1