Suggestions to Reel in a New (Soon To Be) Fan

pfrushfan0122

So I'm pledging a Fraternity here at college, Worcester Polytech. My Big has given me several tasks to complete over the next coming weeks and one of them happens to be that he wants to sit down with me and listen/watch RUSH with me since its such an important part of my life. What are some suggestions to get him reeled in and add another one to the cult fanbase? I was thinking of either watching BTLS, R30, or Snakes & Arrows or listening to Permanent Waves, Clockwork Angels, Grace Under Pressure, or 2112 on Vinyl. What do y'all recommend? Edited by pfrushfan0122
  • Like 1

Play him Hemispheres. if he can't handle it......he's a pansy. lol.

no......seriously......i'd spin Permanent Waves for him. It's the album that solidly hooked me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

no......seriously......i'd spin Permanent Waves for him. It's the album that solidly hooked me.

Mick

Well thought out Mick since Permanent Waves is an 80's album.... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Mick

Ur a pansy. Took you years to like it!

Moving Pictures, 2112 and Permanent Waves were my introduction.

Try them!

Mick

I agree. and you're a former CA loon and Kansas hater

So shut up, lol

Mick

Mick

Hemispheres is only for a "true" Rush fan, so yeah it's probably better to wait on that one. :D

• Like 3

Mick

Hemispheres is only for a "true" Rush fan, so yeah it's probably better to wait on that one. :D

I'll admit it took me forever to like it but the point is i got there. :D

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

I'll admit it took me forever to like it but the point is i got there. :D

Mick

Yes you did, and we're eternally grateful. :)

http://cdn1.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/sarcastic-clapping-captain-picard.gif

• Like 3

I would go with a viewing of BTLS. It has snippets of a lot of different songs, so he'll have access to a lot of music, but if he doesn't like it, it's short. If he does like it, he may want more.

Also, it paints a very positive picture of the band, and that may be enough to give him an interest to sit down and listen to an 11 minute song that starts of with birds and shit if that isn't normally his type of music.

Other than that, I would find out what music he likes and pick a mix of 4-5 songs that he may enjoy. I think the important thing is to tailor the music/intro to him, and not to what you love. And don't throw too much at him at once.

BTW, kudos to your fraternity. That's how the relationships are supposed to work...getting to know and respect your brothers. So many places do it wrong, and it seems like your is doing it right.

• Like 2

Eh. You shouldn't have to sit through the bands entire career just to listen to them...i can see btls be overkill...and would take away a lot of the mystique about the band which is something I think initially attracted a lot of people to them.
  • Like 1

Mick

I agree. and you're a former CA loon and Kansas hater

So shut up, lol

Mick

Kansas are close to topping Rush for me.

CA is like hearing a great Rush album parody.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily try to "reel him in". Seems to me the important thing is to try to help him understand why Rush means what they mean to you, rather than try to persuade him into Rush fandom.. There are many HUGE Rush fans, who don't necessarily have the same favorite songs, so trying to guess which songs would be his favorites is impossible. Furthermore, if he were inclined to be a Rush fanatic, he probably already would be, or it will just happen naturally.

So if I were you, I'd maybe pick out the song(s) that first introduced you to Rush and explain the circumstances that made them so meaningful (if applicable), or describe what you felt as you first discovered Rush. Also you should play some of your most favorite songs and explain why you like those songs so much. I think LedRush had a great idea with BTLS, but I wouldn't suggest viewing the whole thing. Maybe just pick out a couple of your favorite sections, or perhaps if you know he is a fan of any the band members featured, it would be a great idea to play that section(s) for him.