Which album is the most Intellectual?

savagegrace26

Which album is the most Intellectual?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is the most Intellectual?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemipsheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

there is depth and beauty in casual sex and the day-to-day life of a working class citizen.

I barely remember the former but it was nice if I recall correctly.... :codger:

Who voted debut!!?!?!?

I would say Hold Your Fire

The debut Rush album covers all of the most important things about life and intellectual inquiry. Here are a few examples:

I'm runnin', finding my way back home

Oh yeah!

Are we not all, really, just trying to find our way back home? This is the kind of question Rush tried to expand on in the Fountain of Lamneth, but it is stated so much more succinctly here.

Ooh, I need some love

I said I need some love

I'm gonna get the message across to you

Some way, some how

Some people are attempting to achieve balance between the heart and mind, or trying to deal with the dark side of religion.

There is really just one thing that matters, though, and it's important enough to state twice. This is the message the young Rush tries to get across.

Take yourself a friend

Keep 'em till the end

Whether woman or man

It makes you feel so good...

So good

Here the band discourses on human relationships, the necessity of permanance in interpersonal dealings, all of which transcends gender.

I said I played this song so many times before

That the melody keeps repeating

Growing new ideas, flowing chords and notes

Like a mountain river bleeding

Well, I say as I look back at all the thoughts I've had

They reflect just what I'm learning

Later, Rush attempted to express this notion of cyclical intellectual reality as "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" - but it does not have the emotional impact.

Well, I see you standin' there

With your finger in the air

Everything we do, you wanna leave it up to you

The Everyman, the Other, always pontificating with his finger in the air, trying to make decisions for the rest of us. Live your own life. Find your own way.

Won't you come and talk to me

For a little while?

Without meaningful human exchanges, life has no meaning. It does not have to be for very long; Rush understands the need for occasional solitude.

And the question that always must be asked:

Where'd you learn what you know?

Well, the time is right

And it is today

This is the altruistic side of Rush, which echoes the Bard: do not put off until tomorrow what can be done today.

I got no time for livin'

Yes, I'm workin' all the time

It seems to me I could live my life

Better than I think I am

This is the state of humankind when one is a supplicant to a dominant ideology. This basic philosophy would be explored further in 2112.

Always seem to be wonderin'

Why there's nothin' goin' down here

A life devoid of intellectual inquiry produces an existential malaise.

:popcorn: .....
  • Like 1

Who voted debut!!?!?!?

The debut Rush album covers all of the most important things about life and intellectual inquiry. Here are a few examples:

Oh yeah!

Are we not all, really, just trying to find our way back home? This is the kind of question Rush tried to expand on in the Fountain of Lamneth, but it is stated so much more succinctly here.

Ooh, I need some love

I said I need some love

Some way, some how

Some people are attempting to achieve balance between the heart and mind, or trying to deal with the dark side of religion.

There is really just one thing that matters, though, and it's important enough to state twice. This is the message the young Rush tries to get across.

Take yourself a friend

Keep 'em till the end

Whether woman or man

So good

Here the band discourses on human relationships, the necessity of permanance in interpersonal dealings, all of which transcends gender.

Later, Rush attempted to express this notion of cyclical intellectual reality as "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" - but it does not have the emotional impact.

The Everyman, the Other, always pontificating with his finger in the air, trying to make decisions for the rest of us. Live your own life. Find your own way.

For a little while?

Without meaningful human exchanges, life has no meaning. It does not have to be for very long; Rush understands the need for occasional solitude.

Well, the time is right

And it is today

This is the altruistic side of Rush, which echoes the Bard: do not put off until tomorrow what can be done today.

I got no time for livin'

Better than I think I am

This is the state of humankind when one is a supplicant to a dominant ideology. This basic philosophy would be explored further in 2112.

I wonder if he could find a way to tell me that Dog Years is an Intellectual song :P

Who voted debut!!?!?!?

Oh yeah!

Ooh, I need some love

I said I need some love

Some way, some how

Take yourself a friend

Keep 'em till the end

Whether woman or man

So good

For a little while?

Well, the time is right

And it is today

I got no time for livin'

Better than I think I am

I wonder if he could find a way to tell me that Dog Years is an Intellectual song :P

Probably so but it probably helps to like the song which most don't. Not sure where Toymaker stands on the song but I would guess its not a favorite...
  • Like 1

I went with the first album as a joke, but then I realized, there's something a little intellectual about not trying so damn hard to be intellectual. there is depth and beauty in casual sex and the day-to-day life of a working class citizen.

I heard the Cars' "Just What I Needed" on the way home last night and it struck me how brilliant are the lyrics to the first Cars album. Very simple but perfect. "It's not the perfume that you wear, it's not the ribbons in your hair. And I don't mind you coming here, and wasting all my time." Love that.

• Like 2

Seems like I'm the only one that when with Grace Under Pressure. It doesn't get much more intellectual than '1001001 SOS' surely?

P/G does have it's moments (RSA, most of Between the Wheels, The Enemy Within) and it's overall feel is more "intellectual" than most others, but it's weighed down too much by "cheesy" stuff like "put on your kid gloves", the body electric, and "you know how that rabbit feels going under your speeding wheels" stuff.

Though I really do believe that under the surface, Red Lenses may be the most intellectual song they've ever recorded.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures. The topic of the lyrics and the way they're phrased is very unique. He's descriptive passages are brilliant and I feel like they are so well at providing an image in your mind that I can see what Geddy is singing.

Signals was a close second.