Digital Man S&A Live?

Virtualbob64

First,I have been watching my R40 box set for weeks.I mean I've been wearing them out! Anyway,I was watching S&A this morning(got to hear three of my favorite songs yet again,see yesterdays post lol!) I noticed that on Digital Man Geddy's bass seems to be lower in the mix than it was on Signals.Anyone else think so? That's one of my favorite songs on Signals,and that's what I like most about it. Hell,the bass drives that song!
  • Like 2

First,I have been watching my R40 box set for weeks.I mean I've been wearing them out! Anyway,I was watching S&A this morning(got to hear three of my favorite songs yet again,see yesterdays post lol!) I noticed that on Digital Man Geddy's bass seems to be lower in the mix than it was on Signals.Anyone else think so? That's one of my favorite songs on Signals,and that's what I like most about it. Hell,the bass drives that song!

I thought the very same thing when I heard it. More bass! I love the Signals mix.

I'm not crazy about what Lee plays at the end - that cheesy bass pattern.

• Like 1

The S&A Live version is also noticeably slower. Whose choice would that most likely be?

Probably the bands. Many of the songs were perfomed noticably slower on that tour.

Probably so that they would fit in more with that album's material :) Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

The S&A Live version is also noticeably slower. Whose choice would that most likely be?

Probably the bands. Many of the songs were perfomed noticably slower on that tour.

Probably so that they would fit in more with that album's material :)

They could have subtitled the Snakes tour "Rush's Epic Trudge Through the Mud"
  • Like 1

Probably so that they would fit in more with that album's material :)

Maybe. I never thought of that.

It would make sense that they play with a style that they were working with at the time.

Edited by savagegrace26

The 2000s geddy was using sansamp equipment.

10 years ago I thought they were great. With listening and even recording experience with their stuff...its IMPOSSIBLE to get a strong midrange presence in the mix

Geddys hallmark tone throughout the years was a growl. The sansamps strongly accentuate low end and top end. So as a result even if he is turned up, the colored sound doesn't compliment his. Playing.

On signals he used excessive and complicated signal processing, and of course his Rickenbacker 4001.

A significant reason why he achieved that sound on signals (besides his kickass playing of course) is Paul Northfield really nailed the Ricky tone.

He used the neck pickup of the bass into an ampeg tube amp, and the bridge pickup (the source of the "growl" sound" through various conpressors, overdrive etc.

• Like 1

I'm listening to this "Visual Chemistry" boot on youtube - Signals tour. Man. Serious chops and serious energy. Highlights include Lifeson's playing on La Villa, and the crazy, crazy drum solo. Too bad it's blurry, but the sound's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8DUUAQZVc

I'm listening to this "Visual Chemistry" boot on youtube - Signals tour. Man. Serious chops and serious energy. Highlights include Lifeson's playing on La Villa, and the crazy, crazy drum solo. Too bad it's blurry, but the sound's good.

https://www.youtube....h?v=TX8DUUAQZVc

How's The Weapon :wub: on that one?

I'll have to listen again and report back. I've been "working" at my computer and have it playing in the background. . .

• Like 1