Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?

savagegrace26

Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?

• Presto is an 80's album
    • Presto is a 90's album

These threads annoy me.

It isn't that far removed from the style of MP and Signals.

What does that have to do if one considers it an 80s or 90s album?

Roll the Bones isn't that far removed from Presto so should RTB be considered an 80's album too?

Actually I'm very surprised how many 90's votes Presto is getting since it's obviously an 80's album because it was like released in the 80's ;)

And I honestly hear little in common with RTB, aside from a couple of tracks (Big Wheel and Roll The Bones). Not keen on RTB at all.

Both albums are pretty poppy and have a similar "thin" sound to them (same producer).

Similar songwriting styles too although Presto has MUCH better songwriting.

Agreed, and I don't even like Presto.

Give it 30 years....

These threads annoy me.

With all due respect and you command and deserve due respect, I can't agree with this at all....
  • Like 3

These threads annoy me.

With all due respect and you command and deserve due respect, I can't agree with this at all....

I think I must have snorted some icing sugar before writing that

• Like 3

These threads annoy me.

I think I must have snorted some icing sugar before writing that

You sure you didn't have some Alihotsy?

Edited by savagegrace26

I wish I could get what some folks love so much about Presto. I read some impassioned words about this record but I just can't warm up to it any more. At the time I was happy to hear more riff-driven stuff, but there is just no carbonation in many of these tracks.

But the cover's great.

• Like 4

I wish I could get what some folks love so much about Presto. I read some impassioned words about this record but I just can't warm up to it any more. At the time I was happy to hear more riff-driven stuff, but there is just no carbonation in many of these tracks.

But the cover's great.

It's the magic, man....you have to be in-tune with the dreamy chilly magical landscape it creates...

Or insane...

But the cover's great.

It's the magic just tragic, man....you have to be in-tune with the dreamy chilly magical poppy wimpy barren landscape it creates...

Or insane inane...

unsolicited revision

almost forgot: in my opinion and not judging anyone for digging it

Edited by toymaker

But the cover's great.

I think 6 of the songs are very good. War Paint is mostly good until the chorus toward the end really ruins it....
  • Like 1

But the cover's great.

I think 6 of the songs are very good. War Paint is mostly good until the chorus toward the end really ruins it....

Oh no Narp what are you saying?!? The ending chorus is full of wonderful energy!

But the cover's great.

Boys and girls together . . . thfffppttt.

• Like 2

But the cover's great.

Boys and girls together . . . thfffppttt.

What I mean^^^ Yuck....

But the cover's great.

Oh no Narp what are you saying?!? The ending chorus is full of wonderful energy!

GSP we are on the same page quite often but this one we are certainly not. That era seemed to be full of choruses that are regrettable....

But the cover's great.

GSP we are on the same page quite often but this one we are certainly not. That era seemed to be full of choruses that are regrettable....

Well, if there's one thing I've learned: it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done :D

But the cover's great.

Well, if there's one thing I've learned: it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done :D

:eh: Let me think on that a second. I agree. Its better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. And to quote a famous member here and I paraphrase... "lets see you do better" or "I bet you couldn't do better". Something along those lines..... ;)
  • Like 1

But the cover's great.

I agree it doesn't seem to fit the song. I don't think it's horrible, but I usually skip this song anyway. :LOL:

• Like 1

I love the regrettable choruses

You have a big heart. My heart shriveled a little when I heard sun dogs fire . . .

Top five Rush song for me

Edited by Segue Myles

But the cover's great.

I agree it doesn't seem to fit the song. I don't think it's horrible, but I usually skip this song anyway. :LOL:

Reading as many thousands of your posts as I have I know you aren't a fan of the album at all anyway.... :)

But the cover's great.

Reading as many thousands of your posts as I have I know you aren't a fan of the album at all anyway.... :)

Generally not but I do listen to Presto and The Pass.

You have a big heart. My heart shriveled a little when I heard sun dogs fire . . .

Did you know what a sun dog actually was when you first heard it? I'm not being condescending, I'm sure plenty of people don't know what a sun dog actually is and that would be more understandable as to you why it may have sounded awkward or something to you.

Given my love for astronomy, I loved the entire chorus (and song) immediately and thought that particular line was awesome.

Edited by savagegrace26

A sun dog is a phantom sun, if memory serves.

I like to envision wolves and a night sky myself...the wolves leading night into day...but i think weird

Did you know what a sun dog actually was when you first heard it? I'm not being condescending, I'm sure plenty of people don't know what a sun dog actually is and that would be more understandable as to you why it may have sounded awkward or something to you.

Given my love for astronomy, I loved the entire chorus (and song) immediately and thought that particular line was awesome.

My understanding is that it's a phenomenon that occurs just as the last bit of sunset drops below the horizon - a couple of spots or something. At any rate, I have no trouble with the words (Neil's merging of science and human concepts, regardless of how some critics find them tiresome, I think are quite a strength of the lyrical content). It's how that part of the song just takes a sharp turn into dullness, musically.

I think my understanding of the phenomenon is probably wrong . . .

Edited by toymaker