Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?

savagegrace26

Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Presto an 80's or 90's album?

• Presto is an 80's album
    • Presto is a 90's album

It sounds very 80s to me which is one reason that I don't care for it. A lot of songs in basic 4/4. There are also the staccato shimmery rhythm guitar parts like Chain Lightening, i.e. The Police, and Red Tide i.e.The Go-Go's. Presto sounds much more dated than their other albums. Counterparts has its 80's moments i.e. (The Enemy Within) but it's further back in the decade. Presto and The Pass sound more timeless.

The Enemy Within is on Counterparts?

Sorry about that, I was on my phone. Obviously I meant Grace Under Pressure. :LOL:

it's an album.

Done.

Mick

It's really an album that exists in it's own time....kind of like Permanent Waves

Except Permanent Waves doesn't suck.

• Like 1

I consider it a 90's album although I'm not sure why it really matters. Whether you call it a 80's or 90's album it is still one of their weakest :huh:

*Waits for Presto lovers to say it is the best rush album ever*

• Like 2

I consider it a 90's album although I'm not sure why it really matters. Whether you call it a 80's or 90's album it is still one of their weakest :huh:

*Waits for Presto lovers to say it is the best rush album ever*

It's the third best Rush album ever.

I have said it before and I say it again....

Permanent Waves is a 80s album, because it was released 1980!!!

and Presto is also a 80s album, because it was released 1989!!!

The 90s start at 1990!

And it doesn't matter that they did not play the songs from Presto live until 1990! If it do, does that mean that La Villa Strangiato is a song from 2011, since it was played live on Time Machine Tour?

• Like 1

The 90s start at 1990!

And it doesn't matter that they did not play the songs from Presto live until 1990! If it do, does that mean that La Villa Strangiato is a song from 2011, since it was played live on Time Machine Tour?

You're right Zumbi. I'm changing my vote :)

The 90s start at 1990!

Ofcourse I'm right! ;)

The 90s start at 1990!

Ofcourse I'm right! ;)

But not one single note was recorded in the eighties.

Is Blade Runner: The Final Cut a 00's film because it came out then? Or is it simply an 80's movie given the final dusting it needed?

Phillip Seymour Hoffman must have died in 2015 because his last film, Mockingjay part two comes out next year.

• Like 1

I voted 90s mostly because I associate it with my undergrad years, which were in the early 1990s.

As for the good and bad of the album. At the time, I was completely confused by it. It seemed so different than anything they had ever done (including the synth era). Save for a couple of songs, I really wasn't feeling it back then. Over time, though, I have grown to appreciate and even love Presto (except for Superconductor.... my vote for their worst song ever.... EVER.... Steely Dan is the house band in hell and Foreigner opens for them, but Superconductor is playing on the elevator down).

I voted 90s mostly because I associate it with my undergrad years, which were in the early 1990s.

As for the good and bad of the album. At the time, I was completely confused by it. It seemed so different than anything they had ever done (including the synth era). Save for a couple of songs, I really wasn't feeling it back then. Over time, though, I have grown to appreciate and even love Presto (except for Superconductor.... my vote for their worst song ever.... EVER.... Steely Dan is the house band in hell and Foreigner opens for them, but Superconductor is playing on the elevator down).

Love this sentence and the way you "put' it but I disagree about the Steely Dan part. They may just be a studio band which I am not a fan of but their music was part of the soundtrack of my teen years. Foreigner was impossible to avoid in those years as well but I have less appreciation for their music than Steely Dan by far. Rush has at least a handful of songs that could be playing on the elevator on the way down and Superconductor would be one for sure. I am quite sure the ride would be a long one and there would be time for a few more.... :)

The 90s start at 1990!

Ofcourse I'm right! ;)

What?

The 90s start at 1990!

Ofcourse I'm right! ;)

What?

Given that none were recorded in the nineties, either, sounds like wishful thinking. Maybe it's all a bad dream.

• Like 1

The 90s start at 1990!

Ofcourse I'm right! ;)

What?

I meant nineties

These threads annoy me.

It isn't that far removed from the style of MP and Signals.

These threads annoy me.

What does that have to do if one considers it an 80s or 90s album?

Roll the Bones isn't that far removed from Presto so should RTB be considered an 80's album too?

Actually I'm very surprised how many 90's votes Presto is getting since it's obviously an 80's album because it was like released in the 80's ;)

Edited by savagegrace26

These threads annoy me.

Roll the Bones isn't that far removed from Presto so should RTB be considered an 80's album too?

Actually I'm very surprised how many 90's votes Presto is getting since it's obviously an 80's album because it was like released in the 80's ;)

I was making the comparison because many make out like Presto sounds like nothing else from that decade.

And I honestly hear little in common with RTB, aside from a couple of tracks (Big Wheel and Roll The Bones). Not keen on RTB at all.

These threads annoy me.

And I honestly hear little in common with RTB, aside from a couple of tracks (Big Wheel and Roll The Bones). Not keen on RTB at all.

Both albums are pretty poppy and have a similar "thin" sound to them (same producer).

Similar songwriting styles too although Presto has MUCH better songwriting.

• Like 1

These threads annoy me.

Both albums are pretty poppy and have a similar "thin" sound to them (same producer).

Similar songwriting styles too although Presto has MUCH better songwriting.

Agreed, and I don't even like Presto.