Rush peak chart positions

rugen

From Wikipedia i found interesting to find out about the sales of Rush's albums over the years. If we compare Us and Canada, it's obvious that with a larger market in the Us the Rush's albums have a lower ranking, but it's not the case with a couple of albums starting "Roll the Bones" who has a 3rd positon and canada at 11. "Counterparts" 2 in Us and 6 in Canada. "Snakes" is even in 3rd position and the latest is almost in the same rank.The UK chart has some high ranking from albums starting with Permanent Waves but decline with Presto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_discography

• Like 1

Counterparts did better than Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves? I'm shocked.

Why? It was a much darker time for hard music in 93!

Its interesting to see that with a couple exceptions, the worse their music got the better it sold.... :wacko:

I know it. Isn't that odd?

Probably not. I am sure one of the brilliant minds here at the TRF will happen by and explain it to us old fogies... :codger:
  • Like 1

Its interesting to see that with a couple exceptions, the worse their music got the better it sold.... :wacko:

I know it. Isn't that odd?

Music in gereral got worse guys. The records didn't sell more, they charted higher because...lets face it...the early nineties were not exactly fertile with legendary rock bands to suit the older rockers tastes. And many of Rush's peers were not at their best.

Rush were doing well, because they were coasting in style!

• Like 2

Nothing is more satisfying to realize that you are in a small club of cult follower on the band at their peak, while the others are getting on the bandwagon when the band is slowing down...

• Like 2

If I am reading the chart correctly, they never had an album in the USA that was #1 on the charts? Closest is #2 with Counterparts?

Correct. They got screwed over with CA, because Usher *gag* released his album the same week.

If I am reading the chart correctly, they never had an album in the USA that was #1 on the charts? Closest is #2 with Counterparts?

Correct. They got screwed over with CA, because Usher *gag* released his album the same week.

Yes there's too many shitty bands in the US...

Nothing is more satisfying to realize that you are in a small club of cult follower on the band at their peak, while the others are getting on the bandwagon when the band is slowing down...

Indeed.... :madra: I saw Priest that way too. Sitting in a club on a bar stool the first time.... :codger:

Vapor Trails did better than AFTK! :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

That will make Segue very happy.

Rush were still gaining momentum with AFTK. VT was the big comeback from hell.

It is the only logical explanation!

AFTK eats (the sublimely delicous) VT for breakfast.

Their recent alboms have charted higher but that doesn't mean they've sold more units. Signals was way more succesful but only peaked at #10 on the charts I believe. It matters when they were released and the competition at the time.

S&A may not have even sold 500,000 units yet but Signals went platinum pretty quickly.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

On the other hand, we need to also bear in mind that we live in an age of file sharing and illegal downloading.

The tours are still huge, so I expect sales of the albums would double if every person who has heard and enjoyed the albums payed for them.

CA charted at 21 in the UK. But that doesn't include sales figures for the Classic Rock fan pack, which wasn't eligible to chart. Sales of that pack alone were enough for the album to hit the top spot!

CA was huge in the UK rock press.

I was shopping in a very upper class clothing store that summer, which sold expensive items for the elite, and I gasped when, in the background, CA was playing!

It was incredibly well recieved, reviewed and sold incredibly well.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails did better than AFTK! :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

That will make Segue very happy.

A Farewell to Kings would become Rush's first US gold-selling album, receiving the certification within two months of its release, and was eventually certified platinum"

None of the 00s albums sold 500,000 units (gold) within the first two months of their respective releases. So no, Vapor Trails did not do better.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1