At what time do you think Geddy had his best voice?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: At what time do you think Geddy had his best voice? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

When was Geddy's voice at the higest peak for you?

1. Early 70s (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Late 70s (8 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Early 80s (9 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. Late 80s (16 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

5. Early 90s (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. Late 90s (3 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

7. Early 2000s (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Late 00s (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

9. Early 2010s (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Now (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6153 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostLorraine, on 15 December 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 15 December 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 15 December 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 15 December 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

bathory always straightens things out... :)
When he gets to be our age, he'll be a Musical Buddha.

People will come from far and near to consult him on all things musical.

:)
If he gets married and has kids the chances of this diminish greatly... ;) I was just like him at his age. Knew all the bands and all the music and look what happened :lol: :codger:
So was I.

So Bathory, beware!  It can happen to you too one day.  :laughing guy: :codger:

I'm almost there. Except the wife and kids :P

Sponsored Post

#42 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4055 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

1982-87

#43 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2696 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

In the 1970s, his voice was WAY to high and screechy. I could never think about singing like he did back from Rush to Hemispheres. And people have told me that I sound just like Geddy when I sing Rush songs (albeit they've only heard me sing The Spirit Of Radio and Subdivisions) His voice really changed both around Permanent Waves and Signals. He did lose a lot of range, but I felt his voice really stabilized around 1982-1984 and became amazing...

#44 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 53362 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Postfraroc, on 16 December 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

In the 1970s, his voice was WAY to high and screechy. I could never think about singing like he did back from Rush to Hemispheres. And people have told me that I sound just like Geddy when I sing Rush songs (albeit they've only heard me sing The Spirit Of Radio and Subdivisions) His voice really changed both around Permanent Waves and Signals. He did lose a lot of range, but I felt his voice really stabilized around 1982-1984 and became amazing...
What do you mean when you say he lost "a lot of range"?

#45 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2696 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostLorraine, on 16 December 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

He lost that screechy high voice.

#46 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

View Postfraroc, on 16 December 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

He stopped smoking

#47 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 53362 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

His voice might have been high, but he could do things with that voice back then he can no longer do today.   Geddy was a real triller.

#48 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostLorraine, on 16 December 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

His voice might have been high, but he could do things with that voice back then he can no longer do today.   Geddy was a real triller.

I think his voice suited the times. It was popular to sing that way back then.

#49 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 28048 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Screechy? I don't get that one. Doesn't sound like a compliment for sure.... :huh:

hesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Adj. 1. screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge
squeaking, squeaky, squealing, screaky
high-pitched, high - used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
:lol: :lol: A rusty hinge...

Edited by Narpski, 16 December 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#50 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostNarpski, on 16 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Screechy? I don't get that one. Doesn't sound like a compliment for sure.... :huh:

Adj.                                    1.                                    screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge                    
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.    

:lol:  

I hear people using terms like that on here about his voice now and then and I don't get it either. People don't call Janis Joplin's voice screechy and yet Geddy sang in a very similar style.

#51 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Geddy sounded like a banshee back in the day.

ban·shee
ˈbanSHē/

noun
noun: banshee; plural noun: banshees
  • (in Irish legend) a female spirit whose wailing warns of an impending death in a house.

"the little girl dropped her ice cream and began to howl like a banshee"

Edited by savagegrace26, 16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#52 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 28048 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 December 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Adj. 1. screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge

I hear people using terms like that on here about his voice now and then and I don't get it either. People don't call Janis Joplin's voice screechy and yet Geddy sang in a very similar style.
Typical of what RS would have written back in the day. It used to bother me then...

#53 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostNarpski, on 16 December 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Adj.                                    1.                                    screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge                    

Typical of what RS would have written back in the day. It used to bother me then...

They weren't the only ones but they were some of the worst.

#54 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 28048 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yep. Circus and Creem too if I recall correctly....

#55 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostNarpski, on 16 December 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

His voice is part of what attracted me to the band. I thought it was really cool and unique. It takes talent to sing in a higher register like that. A lot of people can sing in their normal range or lower, but it's hard to sing high with power behind it.

#56 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 28048 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 December 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

His voice is part of what attracted me to the band. I thought it was really cool and unique. It takes talent to sing in a higher register like that. A lot of people can sing in their normal range or lower, but it's hard to sing high with power behind it.
Me too of course. Its the first obvious thing about the band (Caress Of Steel being the first Rush I ever heard). If you were younger and started with the later stuff it wouldn't be I would think....

#57 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 53362 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

You mentioned Janis Joplin - she couldn't do at that range what Geddy could do.  She just screeched her way through a song when she sang high.    

I'm sure that singing that high came natural to him back then.  He doesn't sound to me like he is ever straining to sing.  I don't know, but can you strain and trill at the same time?  :huh:  It would seem to me that the throat would be too tight to trill if he was straining.  But what do I know?  :huh:

#58 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostLorraine, on 16 December 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

You mentioned Janis Joplin - she couldn't do at that range what Geddy could do.  She just screeched her way through a song when she sang high.    

I'm sure that singing that high came natural to him back then.  He doesn't sound to me like he is ever straining to sing.  I don't know, but can you strain and trill at the same time?  :huh:  It would seem to me that the throat would be too tight to trill if he was straining.  But what do I know?  :huh:

Trill? Like a bird? :)

#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 53362 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

When he warbles  his voice.

#60 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 22004 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostLorraine, on 16 December 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

I don't think he was straining very much or very often. I think the higher register was in his normal range, just at the higher end of it. Some people don't call screaming/shrieking/screeching like that singing. (I do if it's controlled) Even Alex has said that in the old days Geddy used to just scream the lyrics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users