Weird problem with my guitar

WavesandWindows

So, playing my PRS Tremonti SE guitar today, I played the F# note on the B and e Strings at the same time, and it sounded out of tune. When I went to tune it, it showed that all strings were in tune, yet it sounded quite out at the Twelfth Fret. It has been tuned up about 3 times and it's still flat, despite being in tune on each Open string. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what do I do? I haven't had it too long, and I haven't had it 'set up', and I won't have time to get it done before my gig this Sunday, but can get it done starting Wednesday if so suggested. Edited by WavesandWindows

It definitely needs a setup. That intonation problem can happen for a few reasons. Your neck may be bowed slightly which means it needs a truss rod adjustment, or maybe your bridge needs some adjustment.

Are you having any fret buzz anywhere? That would signal that your neck is bowing.

Yup, the intonation needs to be adjusted. It's a pretty simple thing to do yourself.

Just need a screwdriver and either a good ear (like mine) or a tuner, then it should just be a matter of adjusting the saddles until the harmonics sound the same.

Always use a tuner. Depending on your guitar you may need an Allen wrench or a screw driver to adjust your bridge saddles.

To intonate connect and turn on your tuner then play the harmonic note on the twelfth fret and tune that to the correct pitch (E, A, D G, B, E). Once the harmonic is in tune play the fretted note at the twelfth fret. If the pitch of the fretted note is too high then you need to lengthen the string length by moving the bridge saddle away from the nut and likewise if the pitch of the fretted note is too low you need to shorten the string length by moving the bridge saddle toward the nut. Once you make an adjustment strike the harmonic and get that back to pitch then check the fretted note. Do this until each string's harmonic and fretted twelfth fret notes are in tune according to the tuner. The more refined the tuner the better it will be.

Guitars are imperfect and some guys like to add a little extra length to Low E and/or G or B strings, depending. Some accomplish this by shaving the nut. Regardless the above method will get your guitar in tune with itself. Or at least better than it is now. Can't tell about the bow of the neck or string height which also play a part.

• Like 1

If you adjust action then you should intonate afterward. Fret height and wear can affect intonation of the fretboard which can adversely affect individual notes or frets as opposed to the entire neck. On cheaper guitars the scale of the fretboard might have an "off" fret or two (or more). But on a name manufacturer scales are precut by computer controlled saws so most guitars should have good scales as long as the relationship of the nut to 12th fret and the 12th fret to the bridge are good.

Always best to intonate with fresh strings. If you let strings age and prefer that sound to super bright fresh strings then you should check your intonation occasionally. Also whenever you change strings you should check intonation. Even if you put on the same gauge you should check because the variances from string to string can be enough to alter intonation, as well as relieving the tension from the bridge saddle by removing the string will cause the saddle to move slightly.

• Like 2

Get it checked ASAP if it's new. My wife bought me an epiphone les paul a couple years ago and had the same problem. Took to back to guitar store and they "fixed" it but actually didn't solve issue. Gibson sent me 100 miles away to the closest authorized repair tech who tuned it to a strobe tuner, played a couple chords and blamed the problem in me for "pressing too hard on the strings." I then contacted Gibson and had to ship guitar to their hq. They then sent me a brand new guitar that didn't have the problem. Bottom line is everyone is correct about the issue but there's a chance it can't be fixed and you want to handle while its under warranty.

Get it checked ASAP if it's new. My wife bought me an epiphone les paul a couple years ago and had the same problem. Took to back to guitar store and they "fixed" it but actually didn't solve issue. Gibson sent me 100 miles away to the closest authorized repair tech who tuned it to a strobe tuner, played a couple chords and blamed the problem in me for "pressing too hard on the strings." I then contacted Gibson and had to ship guitar to their hq. They then sent me a brand new guitar that didn't have the problem. Bottom line is everyone is correct about the issue but there's a chance it can't be fixed and you want to handle while its under warranty.

This is why you don't buy a guitar without playing it first. :) It is also good to know how to maintain your guitar(s) and intonation is very easy to do, only takes a few minutes and should be done when changing strings as part of the process. If after intonating there are pitch problems then take it to a pro.

This is why you don't buy a guitar without playing it first. :) It is also good to know how to maintain your guitar(s) and intonation is very easy to do, only takes a few minutes and should be done when changing strings as part of the process. If after intonating there are pitch problems then take it to a pro.

I hear you but when your wife buys you a gift you try to make it work. My main point was that this particular guitar could not even be corrected at the manufacturer and had to be completely replaced. The "pros" I was sent to did not behave professionally at all and i made sure to inform Gibson of that fact.

Always take the time to get to know your instrument and how it works in terms of hardware. If I got a new guitar for my birthday I'd be very cautious to start wailing on it without researching the hardware first.

I hear you but when your wife buys you a gift you try to make it work. My main point was that this particular guitar could not even be corrected at the manufacturer and had to be completely replaced. The "pros" I was sent to did not behave professionally at all and i made sure to inform Gibson of that fact.

But this experience is the exception, not the rule. Being alarmist about what may be a simple intonation problem doesn't help the original poster. Using the above method is good practice for maintaining one's guitar and anyone who owns an electric should incorporate intonation as part of their string changing and seasonal changes. It's not like a truss rod adjustment that can do damage to the neck if done incorrectly.

Flawed guitars do get sent to market, but they number in extremely low percentages and all new guitars from name manufacturers have at least a year's warranty against manufacturer defect. Gibsons are lifetime to the original owner. Exchanging a gifted poorly made guitar for one that works is still a gift. A guitar that doesn't play properly because of manufacturer defect is no gift because the giver paid good money for one that does. A square peg doesn't fit in a round hole.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

But this experience is the exception, not the rule. Being alarmist about what may be a simple intonation problem doesn't help the original poster. Using the above method is good practice for maintaining one's guitar and anyone who owns an electric should incorporate intonation as part of their string changing and seasonal changes. It's not like a truss rod adjustment that can do damage to the neck if done incorrectly.

Flawed guitars do get sent to market, but they number in extremely low percentages and all new guitars from name manufacturers have at least a year's warranty against manufacturer defect. Gibsons are lifetime to the original owner. Exchanging a gifted poorly made guitar for one that works is still a gift. A guitar that doesn't play properly because of manufacturer defect is no gift because the giver paid good money for one that does. A square peg doesn't fit in a round hole.

Not sure why you are making this out to be more than it is. Here is my point again: if it is under warranty get it handled while it is under warranty. (I then shared my story to underscore the point). He didn't say how he bought it so we don't know if it is used or new. I have never argued against understanding how to set intonation on guitar. I have played for 35 years and I understand what you're saying but don't see how a reasonable person can have a problem with anything I've stated.

Intonation is not covered by warranty unless the guitar cannot be intonated.