Judas Priest "Defenders Of The Faith" expanded

Rushman14

Yes! I was at that Long Beach show

Coming off an era which saw several JUDAS PRIEST albums that have gone down as some of the greatest in the entire history of heavy metal (namely, 1980's "British Steel" and 1982's "Screaming For Vengeance"), the band from Birmingham knew that their next release had to "deliver the goods," to cement their standing as the leaders of metal. And deliver they did, with their platinum-certified 1984 release, "Defenders Of The Faith", which spawned such headbanging classics as "Freewheel Burning", "Jawbreaker", "The Sentinelhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png", "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" and "Love Biteshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png".

And on March 10, 2015, a newly expanded three-CD version of the album will be unleashed via Columbia/Legacy, which includes the original ten-track album remastered by producer Tom Allom, and a complete live recording from the "Defenders" tour, recorded at the Long Beach Arena in California, on May 5, 1984.

The 21-track concert (split up over two discs) perfectly balances the then-new material from the group’s ninth studio offering overall, including such classics as "Metal Gods", "Breaking The Law", "Sinner", "Electric Eye", "The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)", "Victim Of Changes" and "You've Got Another Thing Coming", among many others.

As the band states in the liner notes to the reissue, "It's 30 years since we released 'Defenders Of The Faith' — we're very proud to say it has become a classic that's beloved by PRIEST fans throughout the world."

CD1 "Defenders Of The Faith" remastered

01. Freewheel Burning

02. Jawbreaker

03. Rock Hard Ride Freehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png

04. The Sentinel

05. Love Bites

06. Eat Me Alive

07. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll

08. Night Comes Down

09. Heavy Duty

10. Defenders Of The Faith

CD2 Live at Long Beach Arena, California - May 5, 1984

01. Love Bites

02. Jawbreaker

03. Grinder

04. Metal Gods

05. Breaking The Law

06. Sinner

07. Desert Plains

08. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll

09. The Sentinel

10. Rock Hard Ride Free

CD3 Live at Long Beach Arena, California - May 5, 1984

01. Night Comes Down

02. The Hellion

03. Electric Eye

04. Heavy Duty

05. Defenders Of The Faith

06. Freewheel Burning

07. Victim Of Changes

08. The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)

09. Living After Midnight

10. Hell Bent For Leather

11. You’ve Got Another Thing Coming

• Like 3

I am so in for this. I wish all Deluxe Editions included a live set from that album's tour. DVDs or alternate versions of tunes do nothing for me.

I saw these guys with Iron Maiden as the opener. I thought it was the Defenders tour, but it must have Screaming for Vengeance. In any event, phenomenal set list.

I recognize a handful of the tunes....

If you don't know the material on this disc you don't know Priest! :bang bang:

Then I don't know Priest then...

I am so in for this. I wish all Deluxe Editions included a live set from that album's tour. DVDs or alternate versions of tunes do nothing for me.

I saw these guys with Iron Maiden as the opener. I thought it was the Defenders tour, but it must have Screaming for Vengeance. In any event, phenomenal set list.

yeah, I don't care about hearing all 47 takes of the same song. shows are much cooler

Edited by bathory
  • Like 1

80's Priest is almost as good as 70's Priest. :hail:+ :smoke: = :rush:

We're all still young at heart and there's alot much more to explore for us boys.

We're all still young at heart and there's alot much more to explore for us boys.

I'll accept the "fact" that I don't know Priest. Not sure who those guys were however that I saw twice in 1979 or who put out that short stack of albums I still have in my collection. I will remember them as they were pre Living After Midnight. That's enough for me....
  • Like 1

I'll accept the "fact" that I don't know Priest. Not sure who those guys were however that I saw twice in 1979 or who put out that short stack of albums I still have in my collection. I will remember them as they were pre Living After Midnight. That's enough for me....

I'm also a big fan of the 70's in general, but you'll miss out some great NWOBHM, hardhead. ;)

• Like 1

I'm also a big fan of the 70's in general, but you'll miss out some great NWOBHM, hardhead. ;)

Not sure what NWOBHM is but I have made it so far without it. A hardhead I am for sure.... :)
  • Like 1

Not sure what NWOBHM is but I have made it so far without it. A hardhead I am for sure.... :)

:cheers:

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal...you'll love it and more important, you'll need it. :haz:

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal...you'll love it and more important, you'll need it. :haz:

Thanks for the explanation. My wife can't change me in 34 years I doubt anyone here at the forum will have much luck either. You guys enjoy though.... :)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. My wife can't change me in 34 years I doubt anyone here at the forum will have much luck either. You guys enjoy though.... :)

No changin' here, Narpsburgh :P.

It's more like expanding a musical horizon into the 80's, or maybe just the opposite, like you do, help the young ones out with 70's cult stuff and learn 'em Rock'n'Roll.

All in good spirits. :macallan:

• Like 1

And best of all they were still playing THE SINNER in 1984!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

That was the first thing I noticed too. Along with Victim of Changes, Sinner is up there with my favourites.

When you got me hooked on Priest, Sin After Sin was the first album I listened to, and Sinner kicked my arse right from the get go! :haz:

Damn! I'm looking forward to this one!!!

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

Well, you are digging Presto these days. That's quite a change...so never say never Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

Well, you are digging Presto these days. That's quite a change...so never say never

80's Rush and Yes too. I am on a roll... :cheers:
  • Like 2

You should give this one a try Narp I think you may like it.

Edited by Turbine Freight
  • Like 1

You should give this one a try Narp I think you may like it.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I really appreciate your post however... That sounds very typical "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" 80's. Really not my thing but again thanks... :cheers: I may be hopeless :)

Edit: I was talking about the first song you posted of course. Not the live one...

Edited by Narpski

You be stubborn. What's the harm in having a listen?