That One Concert You Wish You Went To/Knew About

RushBoingo

Hey Everyone.

I was just curious if anyone either decided not to go to what would become an epic concert, or just plain did not know it was happening when you would have been ready and able to go.

For me, 2 years ago, I had never heard of The Bonnaroo Music Festival and am kicking myself for it, because looking back, Bonnaroo 2013 was a jam packed festival featuring

My Favorite Band: Animal Collective (with Michael Winslow making a guest appearance)

These Awesome Groups: Paul McCartney (and I'm not even close to a Beatles fan under normal circumstances), ZZ Top, Billy Idol, Matt and Kim, Weird Al, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

These Comedians: David Cross and Bob Saget

These Groups that I heard were great and would have checked out: Ariel Pink, Capital Cities, Passion Pit, Wilco, Grizzly Bear, Wu-Tang Clan, R. Kelly, Dirty Projectors, Kendrick Lamar, and The Sheepdogs

Plus about 100 other performers and events spread out over 4 days.

Like I said, I am kicking my 19 year old self.

Any one have a similar concert or festival they wish they went to?

There are three that come to mind, off the top of my head, and all of them were small club shows. And all of them happen to have been in 1995.

Johnny Cash and Buddy Guy both played (on separate dates, I mean) at The Vogue, in Indianapolis. It had been converted from an adult movie theater ( :o ) into a concert venue. Capacity is about 1100 people, I think. I don't have any good reason for why I didn't go to either one. I kick myself about it now.*

Also, Jeff Buckley played at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago, May of '95. I didn't become a fan of Jeff Buckley until about ten years later, even though I was well aware of him when he was still alive. I went to several shows at the Metro around that same time, and now I kick myself that I didn't have the sense to go see him. Incidentally, there is an officially-released DVD of this show, which I do have.

* I did redeem myself by going to see Buddy Guy in...2011, I think it was.

I came very close to seeing Opeth perform two nights before Steven Wilson. I would have gone if I didn't have class that night and I wasn't a huge fan. Turns out the class was cancelled and I started heavily listening to Opeth the night after I saw Wilson perform. They're still a young band...
  • Like 1

I missed out on Snakes & Arrows tour in Vancouver because my parents didn't want to go, I was 16 and they wouldn't let me take the greyhound and go by myself. Then I missed the Time Machine Tour in Vancouver because I had a family re-union that same weekend and family is somehow more important than RUSH.

Didn't see my first rush concert until Sept, 30th 2012.

I'm still not sorry I didn't go to Woodstock, but a part of me wishes that I had just to have experienced it.

Other than that, I regret more than I can convey to anyone here never having seen Rush from AFTK up to and including RTB. Mostly though the AFTK and Signals tours.

• Like 1

I missed out on Snakes & Arrows tour in Vancouver because my parents didn't want to go, I was 16 and they wouldn't let me take the greyhound and go by myself. Then I missed the Time Machine Tour in Vancouver because I had a family re-union that same weekend and family is somehow more important than RUSH.

Didn't see my first rush concert until Sept, 30th 2012.

Thats too bad. I was at the Time Machine Show in Vancouver, and it was something to see, because of the chicken wearing a Bruins Jersey getting beat up by the gorilla wearing a Canucks Jersey, which of course was topical since the concert was a week after the riots ended.

I regret not seeing:

Rush- CA Tour

Nightwish- Dark Passion Play era

Lacuna Coil- 2006 (Karmacode era) and this year

Alter Bridge- last year

Springsteen- Magic Tour

Fleetwood Mac- last year and this year

No Doubt- would see them live even if they all had ebola.

Most of these are bands I didn't discover until recently who had concerts in my area long before I even heard of them and/or have since disbanded since then but these are the few I regret not seeing:

Isis - during their farewell tour but ideally I wish I was old enough to see them during their Panopticon era

Dir En Grey - Last year's show in NYC which I missed because I didn't know them yet and because it was on the same night I saw My Bloody Valentine which I don't regret seeing btw. That said, I would've loved to see them during the Uroboros era where they did a 3 night stand in NYC in the venue which is right near the school I go to right now.

Pelican

Opeth/Katatonia - both NYC shows in September 2011 (I've since seen both twice)

Devin Townsend/Katatonia - I was dorming in NYC at the time near the venue they played but didn't go because I didn't know Devin Townsend at the time and I was just starting to get into Katatonia seriously. I since regret it considering the set Devin had that night as well as Katatonia's (I missed out on hearing Deadhouse live). Paradise Lost opened for them as well, but like Dev, I didn't know of them at the time.

Tool - 2012 tour where they played at the Izod Center which I could've seen by asking my mom to drop me off at the venue and pick me afterwards but preferably I wish I was old enough to see them during the Lateralus era.

Pelican - Their NYC gig in 2009 where they opened for Isis

Rush - S&A Tour

Iron Maiden/Dream Theater (with Mike Portnoy) - Madison Square Garden 2010 (I've since seen both bands live separately)

• Like 1

Dream theater's latest tour. I discovered them in June/Jul,y and after a few weeks I found out I had just missed their tour dates in the UK (although they would probably have all sold out by then). I do that with most new bands I find - I discover them, then look for their tour dates, and then find they've just come off a tour or just left the UK.

Opportunities missed -

1. Led Zep at Knebworth '79; because I wasn't into them (what a ****ing idiot!). All I had to do was pay the price of the ticket., free transport there and back

2. The Jam - very early eighties. Too much of a heavy metal (old school) to waste my credibility at a Jam gig (what a ****ing idiot!)

3. Thin Lizzy - Black Rose tour. I thought I'd see them next time or the next. Only there wasn't a next time and Phil went and broke up the band, then died.

4. Genesis 1980. Couldn't be bothered to stand in a queue all night on a January night. Plus I had a ticket for AC/DC, which turned out to be Bon's second last gig. Superb gig and Diamond Head as support. At last some sense - I didn't waste my time on the bores of the last century - Banks, Collins, Rutherford and the rest.

5. Rival Sons - couple of years ago. Too lazy to get off my lazy arse and buy a ticket, turned up to pay at the door only to find out and it was sold out. Still learning.

I'm sure there will be more

• Like 1

Black Sabbath on the 13 tour.

I couldn't bring myself to suffer through Ozzy's terrible vocals and the high ticket price was also a turn off. But it would've been nice to hear some of those Iommi riffs live.

• Like 1

I could kick myself for not going to see Rush when they were young and on their high school tour... they played here in London at a high school and a friend saw them.

Other concerts here in London I wish I would have gone to include: Deep Purple (my brother went and said Ian Gillan did about a 2 minute scream solo), Chicago Transit Authority, (before they became simply Chicago), David Bowie, Roxy Music (this was in the Eno days), and Supertramp during Breakfast in America. (big outdoor concert).

Other regrets include not seeing the Who with Keith Moon.

• Like 1

For me it's only two:

I've seen a lot of bands over my 40+ year concert career :codger:

but ...

Woodstock 1969 - Friends went but my parent said NO !!! ( I was 14 but still...it was the summertime and I had the blues )

http://youtu.be/gJecJ5SI5W0

Rush at the Capitol Theater 1976 - I live only 15 mins from the Capitol Theater ( which is now gone ). I think I had an exam the day after.

http://youtu.be/_VFG0PEIa8Y

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

Never seeing the real Yes and I had numerous opportunities in the 70's.... :(

did you at least see fake yes?

Nope. I know you did recently....

I'm sure I know the reason why I never went to see them in the seventies. I got tired of going to concerts and being disappointed that the bands never sounded in concert the same way they did on the albums.

• Like 1

I'm sure I know the reason why I never went to see them in the seventies. I got tired of going to concerts and being disappointed that the bands never sounded in concert the same way they did on the albums.

They were doing the "in the round" thing then. I would have loved to have seen them at least once. Regrets I have but a few :musicnote: :musicnote:

Rush almost did, Missus. Any excuses? :ph34r: :popcorn:

They were doing the "in the round" thing then. I would have loved to have seen them at least once. Regrets I have but a few :musicnote: :musicnote:

I guess I would have too, even if I sat there listening to what was supposed to be Close To The Edge and thinking: what the hell is this supposed to be? :laughing guy:

Rush almost did, Missus. Any excuses? :ph34r: :popcorn:

Rush almost did what? Go to see Yes? Was that when they were in England?

Now Rush is a different story. I am still in awe, when I listen to those bootlegs from the seventies, how good they sound. IF I had gone to see them in concert, I would never have been disappointed. My supreme regret really. I missed out on so much. But there's nothing I can do about it now.