Coming it at number 10....

clem

https://www.yahoo.co...3525033676.html

Haven't read the whole article yet. Should he be higher? Probably. Let's face it though, he wouldn't have come anywhere NEAR this list 5 or 10 years ago.

Instructions:

After you read the article, please feel free to bash the author on this thread while saying what an idiot he is since his opinions are probably somewhat different than yours :)

Clem

Edited by clem

After you read the article, please feel free to bash the author on this thread while saying what an idiot he is since his opinions are probably somewhat different than yours

No one here would ever do that. Whatever are you thinking? ;)

Edited by Lorraine

Ringo Starr is on that list.

About as accurate a statement having him in the top ten drummers as it would be having Springsteen on a list on the best of the best guitariats.

(Come on Bluefox...back me up!)

And I LOOOOVE Ringo. He wrote Octopus's Garden. Legend!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

It's one mans opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong. Not that there IS a right or wrong. But I think Neil should be higher, Ringo wasn't a flashy drummer by any means, but his style suited The Beatles.
  • Like 1

It's a list.........meaningless list..........which doesn't have Phil Collins on it..........BOOOOOO!!!!!!

He is my fav drummer, BTW...... ever. He and John Bonham are the only drummers whose solo's i can actually watch and enjoy.

Mick

• Like 2

Oh and ringo.......I love his playing on abbey Road......great playing on that album.

but......top ten?....... :laughing guy:

Mick

My thoughts exactly!

Love the guy, but not a top ten guy for me. Especially when he is rated a better drummer than Peart!

Eat my poo all who disagree!

• Like 1

Ringo's always on lists JUST cause he was in the Beatles.

Mick

Sgt. Pepper is always number one because to many people are lazy to explore the rest.

So much about the beatles is overrated, whilst even more about the beatles is underrated.

I respect the boys......but you will never again here me say the beatles are the greatest band ever.......cause they're not, lol

If i've upset anyone......well suck it up, lol

Mick

Don't worry about. They'll get over it. :) Besides, I happen to agree with you. :LOL:

• Like 1

I respect the boys......but you will never again here me say the beatles are the greatest band ever.......cause they're not, lol

Mick

Greatest band ever? Maybe...

...just maybe...

It cannot be disputed they sold a lot of records, more than any other band. But I don't think they have a peefect catalogue of music. Honestly, Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road, A Hard Day's Night and Help! are 10/10's for me. Buuuuuut the rest is patchy.

Great singles and many fantastic hidden gems on the other albums, but I guess I can agree I cannot say they are the greatest band ever.

I am leaning more towards Rush nowadays, I am certain that CoS to Presto is the greatest album streak in history!

• Like 1

Mick

...just maybe...

It cannot be disputed they sold a lot of records, more than any other band. But I don't think they have a peefect catalogue of music. Honestly, Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road, A Hard Day's Night and Help! are 10/10's for me. Buuuuuut the rest is patchy.

Great singles and many fantastic hidden gems on the other albums, but I guess I can agree I cannot say they are the greatest band ever.

I am leaning more towards Rush nowadays, I am certain that CoS to Presto is the greatest album streak in history!

I've said this before but it's worth saying again. You have to take albums in the context of the time they were released. You can't legitimately compare them to anything that comes afterwards. Especially if it's decades later. Musical styles change as well. I think the Beatles were pretty cutting edge at the time they were popular, especially in the later albums. Ringo was a really basic player. I can't quite imagine someone like Neil being in a group like that. He just wouldn't fit.

• Like 2

Mick

...just maybe...

I've said this before but it's worth saying again. You have to take albums in the context of the time they were released. You can't legitimately compare them to anything that comes afterwards. Especially if it's decades later. Musical styles change as well. I think the Beatles were pretty cutting edge at the time they were popular, especially in the later albums. Ringo was a really basic player. I can't quite imagine someone like Neil being in a group like that. He just wouldn't fit.

I do!

I prefer Beach Boys early stuff to Beatles, I prefer Love's Forever Changes and Beach Boys Pet Sounds to Sgt. Pepper.

I prefer The Doors first five albums to Abbey Road and Let It Be, and Creedence Clearwater Revival had a few singles that I reckon left late period beatles wanting.

So taking into account the time period, I may be no expert but based on specific years, genre or popularity I can at least give adequate examples of bands and artists I think wrote better music than The Beatles (again, Beatles best works left everybody in the shade if you ask me!).

• Like 1

Are you guys nuts? Neil is probably the most influential drummer in rock. 10 is really low. You guys do know he won the best rock drummer poll every year until they made him ineligible...right? Edited by presto123

Are you guys nuts? Neil is probably the most influential drummer in rock. 10 is really low. You guys do know he won the best rock drummer poll every year until they made him ineligible...right?

Are you guys nuts? Neil is probably the most influential drummer in rock. 10 is really low. You guys do know he won the best rock drummer poll every year until they made him ineligible...right?

So, wait, are you saying that fans and critics sometimes disagree about what artists are actually talented?? Somebody get me a pencil and paper so I can write that down. :laughing guy:

Clem

• Like 1

We didn't write the article, though. :huh:

Or...who are you referring to as "you guys", twice?

The guy says right at the beginning that the list is quickly off the top of his head, so I'd guess the only ones that he actually ranked are maybe the top three. The others are just random..

So why is Neil 10? Judging from some of his comments, I'd say he's a typical "Rush hater". in other words he doesn't GET Rush but he is smart enough to know that Neil belongs on the list so he gets it over with in the first spot.

He even says something like "damn, I left out Ginger Baker" so obviously not much though was put into this.

Some Yahoo on Yahoo made another list. Big deal!

Mick

I disagree. While the Beatles aren't my favorite band (they're actually my #2), they consisted of three of the most brilliant musical geniuses the world has ever known: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison (though he wasn't quite as much of a genius as the previous two). All three of them were brilliant songwriters. I would love to see Paul McCartney live, but I'm not made of dough. :sigh: