The Sky Isn't Crying For Stevie Ray Vaughan On The Rush Forum! WTF?

RUSHHEAD666

So I went back in the past to find a very nice old Stevie Ray Vaughan Thread and there's only about three of them that were directly related to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Most of them were outdated with videos that no longer existed.

Well I decided to start an updated SRV Thread for 2014. The other SRV threads only had about 13 or 17 replies on them.

This does not compute for some reason.

Personally I think SRV is easily a TOP 5 guitarist in all of the world despite his career being cut short thanks to Eric Clapton's helicopter.

Fate or destiny isn't fair to humanity.

Anyway, I found the MFSL Gold cd of "The Sky Is Crying" today and I am blasting it right now.

It's fuckking incredible and the sound is truly a lot better. Much more bass and treble.

Also I would like to note that I think SRV is the only one who could cover Hendrix. His version of "Little Wing" is out of this world!

Now I know there's Randy Hansen, Robin Trower and the greatness of Frank Marino but come on man, Stevie IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

These older and buried SRV thread are back in 2006 2007 and 2008. They never caught on fire and I really don't know why.

We can all sit on our computers and bitch about which guitar player is better or complain about how unfair it is to compare Eddie Van Halen to George Lynch. Who gives a shit right?

Well the Legacy of Stevie Ray Vaughan is alive and well elsewhere.

Hopefully there are new members on here now who would love contributing their thoughts and views about the late great SRV.

I had tickets to see him with Jeff Beck but I had to fukking work that night and like an asshole I didn't call in sick.

Then of course a year later the helicopter crashes. I cried that day. I still have the newspaper clipping.

Well it's been raining here all week and we are in a drought in California. It's nice.

"The Sky Is Crying" for Stevie as well.

One of the greatest guitar players in the universe!

"Texas Flood" and "Couldn't Stand The Weather" are MASTERPIECES!

GET THEM NOW KIDS!!!!

RIP

AMEN

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

One of the very best guitarists out there regardless of genre.....he actually had the nerve to cover Voodoo Chile by Hendrix and IMPROVE it....didn't think that was possible.

Sadly missed......

• Like 1

GET THEM NOW KIDS!!!!

:goodone:

Soul to Soul is good, too :guitar:

So very glad to see Stevie Ray getting some good love, definitely. Right on, Earl (and everybody else)...

I did, in fact, see him on the same bill with Jeff Beck, in 1989- the first and only time I'd seen either one perform. I was 16. Absolutely blew me away. I'd been listening to him for a little bit, even at that point- my step-father was a big fan, and got me into him.

I remember the night he was killed very, very well. And I still have my local newspaper's article on his death, too.

I think it deserves to be mentioned that he had a long and terrible history with alcoholism and cocaine addiction, and lived through to the other side of that/- he had been clean and sober for two or three years at the time he was killed.

One of my favorite officially released performances of his, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is Life Without You, from Live Alive. Just fantastic.

No love for In Step, his last album with his band, Double Trouble? Come on! The earlier records are classics as well, yes...but I love In Step, too.

I have to get The Sky is Crying again. Haven't heard it in years.

So very glad to see Stevie Ray getting some good love, definitely. Right on, Earl (and everybody else)...

I did, in fact, see him on the same bill with Jeff Beck, in 1989- the first and only time I'd seen either one perform. I was 16. Absolutely blew me away. I'd been listening to him for a little bit, even at that point- my step-father was a big fan, and got me into him.

I remember the night he was killed very, very well. And I still have my local newspaper's article on his death, too.

I think it deserves to be mentioned that he had a long and terrible history with alcoholism and cocaine addiction, and lived through to the other side of that/- he had been clean and sober for two or three years at the time he was killed.

One of my favorite officially released performances of his, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is Life Without You, from Live Alive. Just fantastic.

No love for In Step, his last album with his band, Double Trouble? Come on! The earlier records are classics as well, yes...but I love In Step, too.

I dated a guy that used to be a roadie for Stevie back when he was on all the drugs and alcohol. He said it was amazing the amount of stuff he could put in his body and still perform.

Never heard of him.

Which normally equates as awesome!

Will have to check him out ASAP!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Never heard of him.

Go for Couldn't Stand the Weather as a first album. If you get the anniversary one, you get a bunch of extra studio stuff, including many recordings that eventually made it onto The Sky Is Crying. You also get a bonus disk of SRV live in concert from 1984, just before Couldn't Stand the Weather was released.

• Like 1

^^^ This is the most amazing version of Texas Flood I've heard him play. If you are a blues guitarist, it is a master class in slow Texas blues. And usually when people pull a stunt like playing behind their back or behind their head, their playing suffers a bit for it. But when SRV went behinds his back, he played even harder. It's the first time that a gimmick like that didn't make me cringe.
  • Like 1

^^^ This is the most amazing version of Texas Flood I've heard him play. If you are a blues guitarist, it is a master class in slow Texas blues. And usually when people pull a stunt like playing behind their back or behind their head, their playing suffers a bit for it. But when SRV went behinds his back, he played even harder. It's the first time that a gimmick like that didn't make me cringe.

I cant listen to that version of Texas Flood when Im working, I cant get anything done. Every 5-10 seconds, this happens to me

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/0bliviate/YER%20A%20WIZARD%20HARRY/wince.gif

I dated a guy that used to be a roadie for Stevie back when he was on all the drugs and alcohol. He said it was amazing the amount of stuff he could put in his body and still perform.

He got better when he quit doing dope. SOO much better

• Like 1

^ Agreed.

He was a phenomenon even before it, but when he got himself cleaned up, it felt like he had truly come full circle. He was playing (and making) the best music of his career in 1989-'90.

And then he was killed. :(

Never heard of him.

Go for Couldn't Stand the Weather as a first album. If you get the anniversary one, you get a bunch of extra studio stuff, including many recordings that eventually made it onto The Sky Is Crying. You also get a bonus disk of SRV live in concert from 1984, just before Couldn't Stand the Weather was released.

I got that album for my father a few years ago for his birthday. I think I've ended up listening to it more than him. Well worth the $10 I spent for it

So gifted with talent and missed by so many,

Cold Shot is what finally woke me up to how great he really was. His style and voice were a perfect match. Hard to pick favorites but Lenny & Riviera Paradise stand out the most for me. I just love those tunes! :guitar:

• Like 1

He got better when he quit doing dope. SOO much better

I agree.

GET THEM NOW KIDS!!!!

:goodone:

Soul to Soul is good, too :guitar:

I agree with you however that's when they added sax and keys. I'm more of a SRV And Double Trouble guy!!

"In Step" is brilliant.