The Sky Isn't Crying For Stevie Ray Vaughan On The Rush Forum! WTF?

RUSHHEAD666

So gifted with talent and missed by so many,

Cold Shot is what finally woke me up to how great he really was. His style and voice were a perfect match. Hard to pick favorites but Lenny & Riviera Paradise stand out the most for me. I just love those tunes! :guitar:

I listened to Riviera Paradise a couple of times through, this morning, and yes, it definitely stands out for me, as well. It's a little bit Charlie Christian, a little bit Wes Montgomery, or Earl Klugh...but in the end, it's all Stevie.

The solo he starts at about the seven-minute mark sounds like he's the Niccolo Paganini of the jazz guitar. Just incredible.

• Like 1

I saw SRV in the summer of 87 at what was then called Great Woods. A group of about 8 college friends went. One guy didn't get a ticket and was livid. We told him we'd make sure we got him one the next time he came around.

Couldn't Stand the Weather was the second CD I ever bought. Still my favorite of his.

I find it hilarious that Vaughn played on the Let's Dance album.

• Like 1

So gifted with talent and missed by so many,

Cold Shot is what finally woke me up to how great he really was. His style and voice were a perfect match. Hard to pick favorites but Lenny & Riviera Paradise stand out the most for me. I just love those tunes! :guitar:

I listened to Riviera Paradise a couple of times through, this morning, and yes, it definitely stands out for me, as well. It's a little bit Charlie Christian, a little bit Wes Montgomery, or Earl Klugh...but in the end, it's all Stevie.

The solo he starts at about the seven-minute mark sounds like he's the Niccolo Paganini of the jazz guitar. Just incredible.

Yeah,

I just love it! Makes me think of the old days of my dog Shy and all the stuff we did together. :D

I saw SRV in the summer of 87 at what was then called Great Woods. A group of about 8 college friends went. One guy didn't get a ticket and was livid. We told him we'd make sure we got him one the next time he came around.

Couldn't Stand the Weather was the second CD I ever bought. Still my favorite of his.

I find it hilarious that Vaughn played on the Let's Dance album.

Haha! Stevie saves that Bowie record! I love it!!!

"Lenny" is a beautiful song. A tune he wrote for his wife Lenora.

"China Girl!"

This morning I was listening to the first full length album that SRV recorded, with Triple Threat- that was the band that preceded Double Trouble, and featured Lou Ann Barton on vocals. (troutman, if you read this- this is the same disc I sent to you awhile back). It was recorded a full five years before Texas Flood came out. The playing is not as fiery as he would become later on- but in listening to a tune like Rude Mood, you can hear that even at the age of 23, he was already such an incredible guitar player.

I enjoy the later stuff more, of course, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

I like and have a lot respect for SRV... I just go through long phases of not listening to him. I play him when I'm going through a heavy blues phase or I'm playing in a blues-jam type band. It's usually in conjunction with also being into Allman Brothers and Robin Trower and such.

My wife mostly has control of my SRV discs, she's into heavy blues rock.

This morning I was listening to the first full length album that SRV recorded, with Triple Threat- that was the band that preceded Double Trouble, and featured Lou Ann Barton on vocals. (troutman, if you read this- this is the same disc I sent to you awhile back). It was recorded a full five years before Texas Flood came out. The playing is not as fiery as he would become later on- but in listening to a tune like Rude Mood, you can hear that even at the age of 23, he was already such an incredible guitar player.

I enjoy the later stuff more, of course, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Hey buddy! I am sure you have the self titled album by the band Arc Angels!! Great record. Made in 1990 shortly after Stevie's untimely death. It features Double Trouble and Charlie Sexton.

I like and have a lot respect for SRV... I just go through long phases of not listening to him. I play him when I'm going through a heavy blues phase or I'm playing in a blues-jam type band. It's usually in conjunction with also being into Allman Brothers and Robin Trower and such.

My wife mostly has control of my SRV discs, she's into heavy blues rock.

Your wife has good taste. Do you like Tommy Castro? Robert Cray?

Hey buddy! I am sure you have the self titled album by the band Arc Angels!! Great record. Made in 1990 shortly after Stevie's untimely death. It features Double Trouble and Charlie Sexton.

I know that album very well, yeah. That's one that my step father has; I don't. But yes, I remember when it was a new album, listened to it many times.

One other related note about the extended family of musicians who've worked with Stevie- Doyle Bramhall III (whose father, Doyle Bramhall II, wrote or co-wrote a few of the songs that appear on SRV albums) has appeared on a couple of Derek Trucks Band and Tedeschi Trucks Band albums. Doyle the third is quite a good singer and songwriter, himself.

Derek Trucks happens to be (in my estimation) one of the best rock and blues guitarists in the world- and certainly the best slide guitarist since Duane Allman left this world...or, arguably, ever.

I've met him and most of his immediate family, and they are some of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet.

Sorry for the tangent- just wanted to share.

• Like 1

Just found a Stevie Ray show on YouTube from 1985- professional, multi-camera video from Sept. 21, 1985- I've never seen this before!! Didn't even know it existed. Not a really long show, 48 minutes, might have been a TV broadcast...but I am diggin' it, in any case!

Stevie Ray's guitar work on Bowie's "Let's Dance" album is beyond underrated!

A Legend!

Would have been quite something if they had toured together. It was going to happen...but then it didn't.

• Like 1

A Legend!

Would have been quite something if they had toured together. It was going to happen...but then it didn't.

I thought that Bowie would have brought him out on tour with him! What a mistake and what BUMMER!

Says all it needs to say in 2.5 minutes

Love SRV, he was taken from us far too early. After he got himself clean and everything. Word is that he used to take the blow in his coffee. The doctor told him this would crystalize and slice up his stomach if he didn't stop doing it.

You know what...F Crapton.

He can't hold SRV's jock

Damn you just made a very good friend.

Glad I checked in before bed.

I'm sure Crapton is a nice guy but once Cream broke up he turned into a piece of boring shite.

I can't stand his sellout solo albums. They just got worse as each year passed by.

I like Crapton's appearance in "Tommy." His version of "Eyesight To The Blind" is stellar. After that fuggetdaboutit.

He's the most underrated guitar player next to Santana and Jerry Garcia.

JMMFO

That stands for "JUST MY MUTHA FUKKING OPINION!"

Who cares anyway right?

I'm always wrong.

No wonder my wife is done with me. LOL

So sad. He was the first musician who died that I cried over.

He was clean and sober and still died.

Me too. I remember my step father and me both crying over it. We had just seen him on that tour with Jeff Beck, about nine months before.

And now, since I've been through alcoholism myself and I'm sober today, I have even more appreciation than I once hadfor everything Stevie did.

Says all it needs to say in 2.5 minutes

Love SRV, he was taken from us far too early. After he got himself clean and everything. Word is that he used to take the blow in his coffee. The doctor told him this would crystalize and slice up his stomach if he didn't stop doing it.

I had read he put it in his whiskey, too- which he would drink while he was onstage. Or on the tab side of the pop top on his beer can, so he could snort it when he put the can up to his mouth...all kinds of sad stuff. I'm so glad he got clean and sober (for about three and a half years) before he died. And his playing never suffered, either way. Regardless of all that, his playing continued to get better and better, always.

A Legend!

I thought that Bowie would have brought him out on tour with him! What a mistake and what BUMMER!

Absolutely! The story of that as I've read about it is that they were all ready to go to start the tour and were actually left standing on the Tarmac holding their instruments when they were told that Bowie's road manager had decided against them (!). I guess we can't know for sure if it was as dramatic as that.

But I also read that Bowie and SRV didn't have any contact with each other again after that until the summer of 1990- about two weeks before that last show (w/Clapton) at Alpine Valley. They both got to talk with each other about their sobriety and how much better they were both doing as a result of it.

You know what...F Crapton.

He can't hold SRV's jock

Damn you just made a very good friend.

Glad I checked in before bed.

I'm sure Crapton is a nice guy but once Cream broke up he turned into a piece of boring shite.

I can't stand his sellout solo albums. They just got worse as each year passed by.

I like Crapton's appearance in "Tommy." His version of "Eyesight To The Blind" is stellar. After that fuggetdaboutit.

He's the most underrated guitar player next to Santana and Jerry Garcia.

JMMFO

That stands for "JUST MY MUTHA FUKKING OPINION!"

Who cares anyway right?

I'm always wrong.

No wonder my wife is done with me. LOL

Im sure you meant overrated but disagree with you on Garcia. I love the mans playing.

Tonight is exactly 26 years since his final show, at Alpine Valley- which was with Eric Clapton and Robert Cray.

I've been listening to a fair amount of SRV lately, and I want to point out what a great voice I thought he had as well. As brilliant as his guitar playing obviously was, there has been little ever talked about with regard to his singing.

He was...just incredible, all the way around.

• Like 2

Tonight is exactly 26 years since his final show, at Alpine Valley- which was with Eric Clapton and Robert Cray.

I've been listening to a fair amount of SRV lately, and I want to point out what a great voice I thought he had as well. As brilliant as his guitar playing obviously was, there has been little ever talked about with regard to his singing.

I agree! Rarely have I seen anyone mention his singing but he seemed to sing as effortlessly as he played. It fit perfectly with the type of music he played.

• Like 2

Tonight is exactly 26 years since his final show, at Alpine Valley - which was with Eric Clapton and Robert Cray.

I was there for the Saturday night show, and let me tell 'ya......it was a SHOW! Stevie was so great that I didn't even care if Clapton came on. The field at Alpine was completely filled with people. For Clapton's encore, Jeff Healy came out and jammed with him on Crossroads. We were exhausted after witnessing over three hours of glorious music.

I drove to Kentucky for vacation on Monday, and when I got to my buddy's house, he told me what had happened. I was in shock and disbelief for weeks. As a survivor of the 1979 Who Concert Tragedy in Cincinnati, I took this latest incident very personally. I literally (and irrationally) felt like a jinx.

• Like 2

Tonight is exactly 26 years since his final show, at Alpine Valley - which was with Eric Clapton and Robert Cray.

I was there for the Saturday night show, and let me tell 'ya......it was a SHOW! Stevie was so great that I didn't even care if Clapton came on. The field at Alpine was completely filled with people. For Clapton's encore, Jeff Healy came out and jammed with him on Crossroads. We were exhausted after witnessing over three hours of glorious music.

I drove to Kentucky for vacation on Monday, and when I got to my buddy's house, he told me what had happened. I was in shock and disbelief for weeks. As a survivor of the 1979 Who Concert Tragedy in Cincinnati, I took this latest incident very personally. I literally (and irrationally) felt like a jinx.

You were at The Who concert where the people were killed? So sorry! I was at the one before that and let me tell you when that crowd crushed together to get in the one door they opened to let people in, I was lifted completely off of my feet. It was scary as shit.