Did alex go too far with his rant on RHOF??

nicky6

Alex was brilliant because the RRHOF is a complete joke. Making fun of a made up institution that has utterly no meaning in no way can go too far. Paul Stanley was far more scathing with his actual words. His speech was edited come broadcast time because he hit the nail on the head.

Agreed. I am actually not much of a Kiss fan. I find them a little boring and a lot misogynist, but I give them all the credit they deserve for basically inventing the concept of arena rock and getting acts to view their concerts as needing to be fundamentally entertaining. (I also give them credit for their role in the support and development of Rush.) Based upon their overall impact on the industry, the fact that Kiss was not one of the first inductees into the RRHOF, in my opinion, proved what a sham the organization was from the start. You do not have to appreciate or, in my case, even like Kiss to understand their impact and role on the genre. Waiting so long to induct Kiss would be akin to Canton not inducting Tom Brady because he is "too Hollywood". Yeah. Sure. He's Hollywood. But wins and rings and fans don't lie. Neither do record sales and ticket sales and merchandize sales.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

Making fun of a made up institution that has utterly no meaning in no way can go too far.

Aren't most institutions made up and have no real meaning?

This reminds me of an old lesson I used to give back in the day when I was doing the teaching thing. It was on the George Washington cherry tree thing. The entire story was made up. A complete fabrication. A lie created to tell people not to lie.

And so goes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: An institution designed to acknowledge, honor, immortalize, and legitimize a genre that existed entirely to question the authority of institutions.

It's a complete mindf**k.

ok, ok, i get it now.. yes the RHOF is a joke , they had people in there way before rush should have been there first...

Rush have nothing to do with the vacuity of the RRHOF. They're simply a symptom of the greater problem that the RRHOF induction is basically a popularity contest.

Edited by len(songs)

ok, ok, i get it now.. yes the RHOF is a joke , they had people in there way before rush should have been there first...

Rush have nothing to do with the vacuity of the RRHOF. They're simply a symptom of the greater problem that the RRHOF induction is basically a popularity contest.

So are the Academy Awards, the Grammys, the Emmys, the Baseball Hall of Fame, etc. All of these "institutions" have their biases. The RRHOF isn't really that different.

• Like 1

I personally think it was pretty damn funny but I have a dumb sense of humor lol. I like it because its the best way to say that the rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. He was just proving a point that he doesn't take it seriously, and he was just trying to be funny as usual, although I think he kinda dragged it on a bit, he should've shortened it. Edited by thegirlintherushshirt
  • Like 1

The best thing about Alex's speech at the RRHOF was his total commitment to it.

The longer it went, the better it was - especially since Geddy and Neil had no clue and smiled nervously while secretly wanting to kill him lol

It helps if you're into that sort of wry, uncomfortable humor (i.e. Larry David or Louie C.K.)

• Like 3

Since when have any of the guys in Rush cared what anybody else thinks? I think Alex did his little speech to show that the HOF is just an institution composed of a bunch of hot air.

I get the impression that Alex doesn't have any fundamental respect for RRHOF (or as another thread called it, "Rolling Retread Hallway of Forgetables"). So if he was conveying his honest feelings, then more power to him!

When Alex got his honorary doctorate from Nipissing University, he wasn't "blah blah blah." That's an institution he respects!

http://vimeo.com/98068056

Edited by antiquark
  • Like 1

Nah. The best was the one Peter Falk made at the Emmy's in the seventies. He said: "I'm trying to figure out some way to sound humble."

I liked John Paul Jones' speech: "I'm glad my friends finally remembered my number" ... And that was it.

Lifeson pulled off a masterpiece of non-lexical communication. He tells a story without conventionally meaningful discourse - it's all tone of voice, pacing, and body language. I think it's brilliant. Lee and Peart didn't get it at first because they literally were not in a position to understand it.

It's part of what makes Lifeson a potentially great actor, too. He can emote. He could have mimed the whole thing, and people still would have understood.

• Like 3

Did Alex go too far? Not nearly as far as a few others on stage that evening, starting with Harry Belafonte. Those of you who were in attendance know what I'm getting at here. At least Alex didn't try to force the audience into endless, mindless drivel chanting of "the blues gave way to rock and roll, the blues gave way to rock and roll, the blues gave way to rock and roll" ad nauseam.

I'll take Alex's blah, blah, blah over that any day.

Did Alex go too far? Not nearly as far as a few others on stage that evening, starting with Harry Belafonte. Those of you who were in attendance know what I'm getting at here. At least Alex didn't try to force the audience into endless, mindless drivel chanting of "the blues gave way to rock and roll, the blues gave way to rock and roll, the blues gave way to rock and roll" ad nauseam.

I'll take Alex's blah, blah, blah over that any day.

Didn't Public Enemy also ramble on for way to long?

Yes they did Cygnus 2112, as did Quincy Jones and a couple of others (be they band members or introducers) whose names I forget. I've dubbed this part of the ceremony the "Angry Black Men Segment" which went on for around 2 hours! Our collective patience was really being tested, folks were getting restless and truth be told, I was beginning to get a little nervous that things might get out of control. But in a way sitting through all that just made it that much sweeter when the band from Toronto was introduced!

Don't mean to sound negative or racist - and I will understand if the mods want to move or delete this post - but it's just my take on the night. Still it was the best night of my life, I was overflooded with memories & emotion with nearly everyone who stepped on stage (Carole King! Cheech & Chong!! Heart!! and so on) culminating with Rush of course.

• Like 1

I thought it was a little long, but I think the more I read about it that it was good speech!
  • Like 1

F*ck it,is important to remember that Al and Rush never wrote music for silly little human institutions to honour. Is clear in every note of their albums they wrote for the Gods - humans now and for aeons in future are just lucky to hear them, as we are to be in awe of Mozart and all other world-historical artists of any kind

THIS is the point Al was making. Thankyou for this honour is lovely to turn up for it but trust me, when doing my thing i do it for time, the universe and everything

This sh*t is blah blah blah

• Like 1

The best thing about Alex's speech at the RRHOF was his total commitment to it.

The longer it went, the better it was - especially since Geddy and Neil had no clue and smiled nervously while secretly wanting to kill him lol

It helps if you're into that sort of wry, uncomfortable humor (i.e. Larry David or Louie C.K.)

Little did we know just how wry and uncomfortable Louis c.k.'s humor really was, at the time. Edited by snowdogged