5.1 Surround Sound systems

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place… if not I apologize and ask the admins to please move my post to the proper forum. I'm planning to buy a relatively low cost surround sound system and would like some advice. First off, if I only want to spend $300-400, is it even worthwhile to buy a 5.1 system in this price range? If so please give me any feedback or advice you can regarding which brands/models you prefer or have had experience with (positive or negative). The system I would most likely buy right now without any further information would the Yamaha YHT-4910UBL, so any info on that specific model would be greatly appreciated.

First off, if I only want to spend $300-400, is it even worthwhile to buy a 5.1 system in this price range?

I've had Yamaha receivers/amps before, and they were excellent. Yamaha is a high quality brand. :ebert:

It depends on how large your TV viewing area is. If it's a small area, then that Yamaha 5.1 system will do just fine, IMO. If the viewing area is large, then you may want to go with a more powerful system.

It also depends on how much bass you want. The Yamaha system that you cited has a pretty small subwoofer (6.5", 100w), so if you really like to FEEL the movies you're watching, then you may want to go bigger. The customer reviews on Best Buy's website are very high for that system. It's a good starter system..... :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man

First off, if I only want to spend $300-400, is it even worthwhile to buy a 5.1 system in this price range?

I've had Yamaha receivers/amps before, and they were excellent. Yamaha is a high quality brand. :ebert:

It depends on how large your TV viewing area is. If it's a small area, then that Yamaha 5.1 system will do just fine, IMO. If the viewing area is large, then you may want to go with a more powerful system.

It also depends on how much bass you want. The Yamaha system that you cited has a pretty small subwoofer (6.5", 100w), so if you really like to FEEL the movies your watching, then you may want to go bigger. The customer reviews on Best Buy's website are very high for that system. It's a good starter system..... :ebert:

Thanks for the reply. It is for a small room. I'm not too worried about "feeling" movie sound. It will be nice to have good sound for movies, but my top priority is high quality sound for the Rush 5.1 discs that I've heard great things about.

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

I have had two Yamaha receivers in the past few years. One started to have image problems after about 4 years and the other had HDMI issues after a few months. Both sounded fine but I was disappointed they didn't last longer. The first one had extended warranty that expired just prior to the unit itself and I didn't get any for the second and that was my mistake. The speakers are pretty good. I have since gotten a Pioneer unit that not only has more power but it sounds better and was cheaper, but I stuck with the Yamaha speakers. 1-0-0-1 and I both have Yamaha monitors for our studios but I believe consumer and pro electronics are different divisions within Yamaha. So get the Yamaha but get an extended warranty for sure.

I have had two Yamaha receivers in the past few years. One started to have image problems after about 4 years and the other had HDMI issues after a few months. Both sounded fine but I was disappointed they didn't last longer. The first one had extended warranty that expired just prior to the unit itself and I didn't get any for the second and that was my mistake. The speakers are pretty good. I have since gotten a Pioneer unit that not only has more power but it sounds better and was cheaper, but I stuck with the Yamaha speakers. 1-0-0-1 and I both have Yamaha monitors for our studios but I believe consumer and pro electronics are different divisions within Yamaha. So get the Yamaha but get an extended warranty for sure.

My current home theater receiver is a Yamaha RX-V773 (which replaced a Pioneer that lasted only two years before HDMI problems set in). I've had it for about three years, no problems yet, and performance-wise it destroys the Pioneer.

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I just purchased the Yamaha system on Amazon, and I also paid $28 extra for a 3-year warranty. I don't usually buy extended warranties, but at only around 8% of the purchase price, this seems like a decent value. I really like the crisp, clean sound that Yamaha speakers are known for, so hopefully this will turn out to be the right system for me at this price level.
  • Like 2

My current home theater receiver is a Yamaha RX-V773 (which replaced a Pioneer that lasted only two years before HDMI problems set in). I've had it for about three years, no problems yet, and performance-wise it destroys the Pioneer.

The RX-V373 is the second one I got that went bad. I need to send it to Yamaha because it's still under their warranty. The combination of the Yamaha speakers and Pioneer amp sound really good together in my living room. FWIW

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

My modest system consists of a Sony STR-DG920 7.1 receiver (clearance sale at Amazon), Klipsch satellite speakers (almost half off at Best Buy), and a Polk 10" 200w subwoofer (at Best Buy). I saved almost $500.00..... :D It's been five years, and it's all going strong. GREAT sound. When we're watching a Blu-ray movie, we can feel it through half the house!! :laughing guy: