Tell Us About Yourself!

Disk98

Just tell us about yourself. You don't have to tell us your name or age if you don't want to. What kind of person are you? What are some of your non-Rush interests? What are some of your talents?

Sorry if there's a thread like this out there already. Just trying to be friendly! :)

• Like 2

I'll start. I LOVE baseball, especially the New York Yankees. My father and grandfather both grew up Yankee fans, and one of my most treasured memories is going to my first game at the new Yankee Stadium with them. (6-4 win over the Chicago White Sox :D)

I can draw maps. REALLY good maps of the entire world. Maybe I'll show you guys one.

I'm only sixteen, but I'm in college and am going for an Associate's degree for music recording. High school wasn't for me, so I tested out after my sophomore year.

I play bass. I'm still learning, but I'd like to consider myself pretty good!

That's pretty much it. Your turn!

• Like 3

I predict a great future for this thread.

As for me, I'm a big fan of keeping it real. Putting know-it-alls in their place. Spreading facts like grass seed. Pointing out inaccuracies and outright lies (or "untruths" as the politically correct refer to them).

Musically, I don't play anything but air instruments which I can do as well as anyone. I like both kinds of music, rock and roll.

• Like 3

Nice thread :)

So, about me. I live in the North of wet and windy England and I'm 14. I love photography and I would like to be a photography when I'm older. Another one of my hobbies is using some 3d graphic design software called blender :) .

I play guitar and I think that I'm alright now, I'm learning the Manhattan project at the minute.

At school I'm doing art, spanish, history, chemistry biology and physics as well as all the one I have to do.

I love my cats, Scruff, Tim & Charlotte who are all in the cat thread here :) .

I love music, Rush is my favourite, then Fair to Midland and Dream theater after that :D.

That's about it for me :)

• Like 2

Name: Andrew Bowler. Find me on Facebook if you'd like, I'll add anyone that I talk to regularly on here that's over 18 that I've known for a while. Not adding kids that I met online, that's creepy.

I go to Iowa State University, currently in the first semester of my junior year, majoring in software engineering. Next semester I'll be over in Birmingham, UK for a study abroad experience. My main interests in my field consist of computer graphics, video game development, and general front-end development for applications, and I remain convinced that the most badass programming language of all time is Javascript. Check out my work on GitHub: http://www.github.com/ajbowler , I have been very active this semester writing stuff.

Been listening to Rush since early elementary school. First songs my dad had me listen to included Lock And Key, 2112, and Red Barchetta. Over time I went through a number of favorites but was always partial to Grace Under Pressure and Moving Pictures, and later Counterparts, Hemispheres, and Signals. These 5 remain my top 5.

I come from parents who grew up in IA, and they are both diehard Chicago Cubs fans. As such, my family always watches the Cubs and Da Bears every season. As many of you know, probably because of my shameless military child pride, Dad was in the Navy for 21 years as a CPO on submarines, and retired back in 2006, so during most of my childhood I've traveled all of the U.S. from Minnesota to Washington, Connecticut, Georgia, Tennessee, and Maine.

I've been playing guitar for just over 7 years now, and happily participate with anyone willing to play not punk rock. Currently my addictions for playing are Between The Wheels, Ballad Of John Henry - Joe Bonamassa, and Outside - Foo Fighters, just to name a few. If anybody ever wants to talk guitars I'm always very eager to :D

You can usually find me in the main forum or more recently SOCN or OLV as the main forum's been pretty lame as far as topics go.

That about covers it.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 5

Born in South Africa

Moved to England aged 3

Discovered i was awesome at 4

And now I am still awesome so thats all!

• Like 3

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
  • Like 4

I don't really feel comfortable talking about myself or posting pictures or anything. Nice thread however. Thanks...
  • Like 2

I'm sunny. :sundog:

Mother.

Wife.

Rush fan.

I dabble in stuff (art, crafts, photography) - but there is nothing that defines me like the above.

When I die, I hope I have left a positive impact on the people I have met. My wish is that they speak well of me, with a smile and they say they were happy to know me.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 5

Ok I'll bite.

I'm 50 years young,been a Rush fan since 1976.I am a Meat Cutter by trade.Been doing that for 30 some odd years.I'm married with 5 kids,and 5 Grandchildren.I play guitar,some bass,drums,and keys as well..I also like to draw, mostly pencil drawings.Lately I've been writing music,and tinkering with some lyrics.I plan on being a rock star when I grow up lol!!!

• Like 1

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

:LOL: I love Austin Powers! Dr. Evil is my favorite.

I'll bite.

I was born and raised on Long Island, NY in 1985. Lucky boy that I was........I was born with cerebral palsy. My mom being a nurse spotted signs right away. I was carted around to many many doctors. between ages 2 and 9. The doctors were certain of 2 things

1. I'd never walk (Correct)

2. I'd never talk (the new yorker in me said screw you on that one, lol

I was enrolled in a basically a daycare center for people with disabilities. When i proved smarter then anyone there. At 11 i was mainstreamed to regular school. Long story short i graduated with honors.

I've never been to college but i'm fine. I currently work as a public speaker and an advocate for Cerebral Palsy.

oh yes.......and........i somehow wound up kinda sorta maybe......liking music, lol. and hanging here......because you all help me break up my day with pointless arguments. ;)

Mick

• Like 10

I'm 53 and a Marketplace Manager (in other words they only allow me control of 3 retail units) married with an adult daughter. I live in the North West of England.

Like Prog, Classic Rock and bits and bats of other stuff and I have supported Manchester United since 1969.

As for Rush, I've been a fan since 1976 and been to lots and lots of great gigs over the years.

I've been on the TV on a quiz show and been interviewed by local radio.

I've been infesting messageboards for longer than I care to recall and was Administrator over at Progarchives Site for 10 yrs.

I mainly come here for the Politics forum as I have talked enough about Rush these past 40 yrs and was formerly a proud stalwart over at Counterparts Messageboard

Went to Uni, rarely turned up but got involved in some political causes and was a member of the UK Labour Party until last year when I gave up on them.

Oh, and I enjoy winding people up.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 4

I don't really feel comfortable talking about myself or posting pictures or anything. Nice thread however. Thanks...

then why do all of us know so much about you?

Good question. I might have let a few personal things slip here and there.... :cool:
  • Like 2

I'm 53 and a Marketplace Manager (in other words they only allow me control of 3 retail units) married with an adult daughter. I live in the North West of England.

Like Prog, Classic Rock and bits and bats of other stuff and I have supported Manchester United since 1969.

As for Rush, I've been a fan since 1976 and been to lots and lots of great gigs over the years.

I've been on the TV on a quiz show and been interviewed by local radio.

I've been infesting messageboards for longer than I care to recall and was Administrator over at Progarchives Site for 10 yrs.

I mainly come here for the Politics forum as I have talked enough about Rush these past 40 yrs and was formerly a proud stalwart over at Counterparts Messageboard

Went to Uni, rarely turned up but got involved in some political causes and was a member of the UK Labour Party until last year when I gave up on them.

Oh, and I enjoy winding people up.

I learned something new. That last bit I wasn't aware of.... :codger:
  • Like 2

Ok lets do this. I'm 17 and currently a senior in high school. I enjoy classic rock, prog, and some metal. I grew up listening to whatever my parents played and I've always loved it. I also like graphic designing and I am a graphic designer for my school newspaper. I have a twin sister (no, we're not identical but that would be cool) who is one minute older than me. And I have a pain in the ass brother who is 3 years younger than me. I own 22 band shirts, 11 of them are Rush. Geddy Lee is my favorite person on the entire planet. I like cooking. I love makeup. Hm....yeah that's it. Edited by thegirlintherushshirt
  • Like 5

I live in the greater Raleigh area in NC. I love fine art and architecture. I have been into music since I was a youngster of various kinds(pop, disco, rock...). When it comes to music, I like any song that provides a good memory of an event and music that adds a little imagination such as progressive rock. Fan of Genesis, Yes, and of course Rush plus many others. Professionally seeking to be an architect since I'm a recent graduate of architecture. Had a big interested in astronomy in the early and mid-80s. I would get up at 4:00 in the morning to go outside and look at constellations or find the ones I'd been reading about. Love Italian food. My ancestry is predominantly anything in the United Kingdom (with the slight possibility of Greek). I have two famous relatives (now deceased) - John Proctor who was hung in Salem, MA for being accused of witchcraft and Hollywood actress Ava Gardner. The rest of my interests can be found under my profile pic to your left.

<------------

• Like 4

I'm a San Francisco native, currently 50.5 years old but I think I look like I'm in my 30s. (I certainly don't feel 50—that seems so old!) I've been into music since my pre-teen years, and have listened to & loved Rush since I was 16 (although there was a long period from the late 80s to the turn of the century when I didn't like what they were releasing and didn't listen to them). I used to be very much into goth & industrial music and worked as a college radio then a club DJ playing that sort of stuff for a full decade. Most of what I am listening to now is guitar-based "indie" and "alternative" rock, and thrash/progressive/symphonic metal. I've also dabbled with music writing, band photography, and booking, but that was mostly back in the 80s.

I am a biologist (zoologist) who will some day actually finish her degree! I love most animals more than most people, and have had some volunteer jobs caring for, and rescuing, various exotic and wild animals. My big hobby is scuba diving and underwater photography. I'm certified as an assistant instructor, although I haven't worked at that for some time now. I volunteer at my local aquarium and dive there and do underwater presentations every week. I regularly travel all over the world and since 1994 I have been outside of the U.S. every year but one. I ride horses (although I've never had one of my own), motorcycles (I've owned about six, but don't have any right now), but don't like bicycles. I also love cooking, especially baking, and my current obsession is working on the perfect sourdough bread.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 6

:rfl:

:laughing guy: Ok, ok. My first post wasn't quite true....

My name is Kenneth and I was born and raised in Maryland just outside of the DC line. I currently reside in Myrtle Beach SC and have been here for 15 years. I am 54 years old and was very into athletics throughout my youth and teen years. I got into music in 1976 and at the urging of a friend purchased my first two albums to get me started. He suggested All The World's A Stage and Sad Wings Of Destiny so I got them and the rest is history. I never had any girlfriends through high school and met my wife on 11/16/79 and was married 5/2/81 and have been married ever since. I have 2 children, Danielle 27 and Nicklaus 24. There are photos and myself and my children all over this forum if you haven't seen any. I no longer work but I worked my buns off for over 30 years up until about a year and half ago. I have bowled 3 perfect games in competition and have had 2 aces in golf. I can no longer do either due to health reasons. I have no friends outside of my wife and my only interests at the moment are exercise, the TRF and my childrens happiness. I love manicuring the lawn and growing beautiful plants and flowers.

This place has saved me from losing my marbles over the past 14 months and I am so glad I found it and took a risk. Thanks to all here.... :cheers: :rose:

• Like 16

:rfl:

:laughing guy: Ok, ok. My first post wasn't quite true....

My name is Kenneth and I was born and raised in Maryland just outside of the DC line. I currently reside in Myrtle Beach SC and have been here for 15 years. I am 54 years old and was very into athletics throughout my youth and teen years. I got into music in 1976 and at the urging of a friend purchased my first two albums to get me started. He suggested All The World's A Stage and Sad Wings Of Destiny so I got them and the rest is history. I never had any girlfriends through high school and met my wife on 11/16/79 and was married 5/2/81 and have been married ever since. I have 2 children, Danielle 27 and Nicklaus 24. There are photos and myself and my children all over this forum if you haven't seen any. I no longer work but I worked my buns off for over 30 years up until about a year and half ago. I have bowled 3 perfect games in competition and have had 2 aces in golf. I can no longer do either due to health reasons. I have no friends outside of my wife and my only interests at the moment are exercise, the TRF and my childrens happiness. I love manicuring the lawn and growing beautiful plants and flowers.

This place has saved me from losing my marbles over the past 14 months and I am so glad I found it and took a risk. Thanks to all here.... :cheers: :rose:

I think you have more friends than you realize :yes:

• Like 7