Tell Us About Yourself!

Disk98

Well, never heard of Radar (is that really a town?? If so, it would certainly be the honorary Rush capital of Iowa, lol) and have heard of Ottumwa. I'm from the very eastern nose tip of the state myself.

:o Radar O'Reilly from the tv show M*A*S*H. He always talked about being from there on the show. Uttumwa's claim to fame I thought...

Not enough to spell the damn town name right it seems :P

f***in' M*A*S*H...

I spelled it right in my first post. Not sure what the f**k I was thinking on this one... :smash: :LOL:
  • Like 1

Well, never heard of Radar (is that really a town?? If so, it would certainly be the honorary Rush capital of Iowa, lol) and have heard of Ottumwa. I'm from the very eastern nose tip of the state myself.

:o Radar O'Reilly from the tv show M*A*S*H. He always talked about being from there on the show. Uttumwa's claim to fame I thought...

f***in' M*A*S*H...

For what it's worth, that was an excellent TV show, and Radar was a great character.

• Like 3

f***in' M*A*S*H...

For what it's worth, that was an excellent TV show, and Radar was a great character.

The early years of the show were outstanding. :yes:
  • Like 1

Time to do a Narpsbergervan:

MASH?

:codger:

Do you not know M*A*S*H?! That darned BBC, it needs to show our reruns :gumby:

First there was the movie, released 1970: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066026/ It was a true-ish story, based on some actual events and actual people. The original book was written by an Army surgeon who served in the Korean War.

Then there was the TV show that ran for 11 years: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/ Pretty much every American who was around the the 70s has seen it. It was a very well-written comedy. And even though it was ostensibly about the Korean War it was actually a statement about the Vietnam War, and began airing while the war was still going on.

Highly recommended.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

MASH?

Do you not know M*A*S*H?! That darned BBC, it needs to show our reruns :gumby:

First there was the movie, released 1970: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066026/ It was a true-ish story, based on some actual events and actual people. The original book was written by an Army surgeon who served in the Korean War.

Then there was the TV show that ran for 11 years: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/ Pretty much every American who was around the the 70s has seen it. It was a very well-written comedy. And even though it was ostensibly about the Korean War it was actually a statement about the Vietnam War, and began airing while the war was still going on.

Highly recommended.

I remember the theme song :)

MASH?

:laughing guy: ... You are supposed to do this ----------------------------> :blink: Ask BowlCity he can tell you

I'm a self deprecating socio-liberalist with a temper I mostly direct inwards. I can get shy but equally outgoing and not good at dealing with personal conflicts. When people around me are happy then most of the time I'm happy too. Things I hate is feeling lonely and without a purpose. Things I like is long walks at the beach, candlelight dinners and ... oh wait ... :P
  • Like 3

I like music. I listen to almost everything including crossover country and mainstream rap. I play 4 instruments- piano, flute, guitar, and bass. I've been to far too many concerts, but at least I wore earplugs to protect my hearing. In middle school, we had to do book reports. While all the other kids were obsessed with S.E. Hinton and Sweet Valley High, I was reading an encyclopedia of rock music. I went to business school and art school. I have a day job, but I'm a professional student.
  • Like 2

I like music. I listen to almost everything including crossover country and mainstream rap. I play 4 instruments- piano, flute, guitar, and bass. I've been to far too many concerts, but at least I wore earplugs to protect my hearing. In middle school, we had to do book reports. While all the other kids were obsessed with S.E. Hinton and Sweet Valley High, I was reading an encyclopedia of rock music. I went to business school and art school. I have a day job, but I'm a professional student.

What instrument did you learn first?

Edited by Lorraine

piano

• Like 1

piano

The flute, guitar and bass were self-taught then? Did you easily learn how to play each of them?

Hello, again, I Play Piano (7 years of it), Song Flute, and all Percussion instruments including 'The Kit' (in Pix of You) and keyboard instruments, (Vibes, Marimba, Chimes, glockenspiel, Xylophone, etc.but not to Ruth Underwood's proficiency) School desktop drums, leg drums, AIR drums. furniture drums.....Like almost all types of music, not 'Twangy' Country vocals, or a LOT of Rap Lyrics. My motto is ENJOY MUSIC!!! and that's mostly what I do! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Looneys/Whackoanim.gif
  • Like 1

Hey, great thread to bump!!! I´ll give my 2 cents:

My name is Rodrigo, I´m 41 years old, and was most likely the only Brazilian in this forum until rhyv joined. I´ve been a rock/metal fan since 1984, when my dad got me Maiden´s Powerslave and AC/DC´s ´74 Jailbreak. i´m a civil engineer, but started working in procurement in 2006. i work in the oil industry here in Rio, but keep thinking about coming back to Australia, where I lived in two periods: '05-'06 and '08-'10. Been married since 2008, and we have a beautiful 01 year old named Stella. I wish I could have seen Rush more times, but saw them in São Paulo and Rio twice: 2002 and 2010.

• Like 2

More.....

Went all the way through the Boy Scout program, made the top Rank, Eagle Scout with three other of my troopmates in 1976 at the same ceremony, Went to Washtenaw Community College for a year, then got a job as a Kitchen employee at Saline Evangelical Home, and that fall, got hired into Ford Motor Company's Saline Plastics Plant. Jump ahead to 1994 When they gave the FIRST Skilled Trade application tests since before I became a worker there, and got 100% on the test, was the fourth person chosen for Electrician training, and was kicked out near the end of my course of four years, (THAT is why I HATE POLITICS!) by another Union Skilled Trades guy who needed to create a spot for electrician for HIS SON GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!) Kept working there til I got in my 32 years, and then retired...got married in '82, Kid 1 in '84, and kid 2 in '86. Divorce 1 in '91. Met second wife at the end of '90 after being served with divorce papers two months previous, Married in '95, custody of children the same year, and that marriage ended after my wife seized for 20 mins while at Meijers, a local chain general merchandise store like Walmart, Her family out lawyered me and took her away....FUN, huh? My daughter got her first job later that year, in 2002, and moved out, and my Son and I moved out after 2006.

Intermission

Various apt.s and I moved to Presque Isle, MI in fall of 2011, Mike stayed here and moved in with his mom, I got 'disturbed' living with the person I'd rented a room with in her house and moved back to Saline in Nov. '12. That's where I live now, and my kids and their mom live in the next building from mine...wow.

ok, that was DEFINITELY TMI...

• Like 1

I'm 53 and a Marketplace Manager (in other words they only allow me control of 3 retail units) married with an adult daughter. I live in the North West of England.

Like Prog, Classic Rock and bits and bats of other stuff and I have supported Manchester United since 1969.

As for Rush, I've been a fan since 1976 and been to lots and lots of great gigs over the years.

I've been on the TV on a quiz show and been interviewed by local radio.

I've been infesting messageboards for longer than I care to recall and was Administrator over at Progarchives Site for 10 yrs.

I mainly come here for the Politics forum as I have talked enough about Rush these past 40 yrs and was formerly a proud stalwart over at Counterparts Messageboard

Went to Uni, rarely turned up but got involved in some political causes and was a member of the UK Labour Party until last year when I gave up on them.

Oh, and I enjoy winding people up.

Saga!!!!!!

I'm 53 and a Marketplace Manager (in other words they only allow me control of 3 retail units) married with an adult daughter. I live in the North West of England.

Like Prog, Classic Rock and bits and bats of other stuff and I have supported Manchester United since 1969.

As for Rush, I've been a fan since 1976 and been to lots and lots of great gigs over the years.

I've been on the TV on a quiz show and been interviewed by local radio.

I've been infesting messageboards for longer than I care to recall and was Administrator over at Progarchives Site for 10 yrs.

I mainly come here for the Politics forum as I have talked enough about Rush these past 40 yrs and was formerly a proud stalwart over at Counterparts Messageboard

Went to Uni, rarely turned up but got involved in some political causes and was a member of the UK Labour Party until last year when I gave up on them.

Oh, and I enjoy winding people up.

Saga!!!!!!

http://albumcovers.toomanyvoices.com/uploaded_images/saga-789198.jpg

I play piano and guitar. My first guitar teacher showed me the chords for Cheap Trick's song "The Flame" before my music school went bankrupt. That is my favorite song of all time. Music has always been important to me. In middle school, my book report was about an Encyclopedia of Rock that was as big as a phone book. In high school, I used snippets of my favorite songs for assignments in English 20 and 30 (Billy Idol, Sting, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush). In college I did a presentation in my communications class about Steve Clark from Def Leppard. Some people make scrapbooks of their families and friends. I made one of my favorite rock stars. I used to listen to the Top 40 countdown religiously every single week. I would write down all the songs in numerical order on a piece of paper. I also alphabetized my music collections in both CD and cassette formats. My Instagram account is named after White Lion's song "Lady of the Valley.". Edited by Boots
  • Like 1