Roll The Bones VS Counterparts VS Test For Echo

YYZumbi

56 members have voted

1. 1. Best 90s album?

Counterparts

Cold Fire and Everyday Glory...man I just LURVE these songs. I enjoy the rest of the album almost as much, aside from Stick It Out, one of my least favourite Rush songs.

I bought each album when they were released, and have gone through three distinct phases with regard to that particular trio:

During the 90's - Loved Roll the Bones. Thought Counterparts was a disappointingly noisy, un-melodic follow up. Thought Test for Echo was the album Counterparts should have been.

Ten years later - Pretty much forgot about Roll the Bones. Counterparts moved into my top three Rush albums. Test for Echo moved to the very bottom. Whereas Roll the Bones was simply boring, Test for Echo was just plain bad. Thought Neil's post-Gruber drumming was boring.

Now - After purchasing "Retrospective III," realized just how many great songs populate those albums. Re-ignited a love for each of them, especially as I had gotten a bit bored with their "classic" era. Actually listen to them as much as, if not more than, albums like Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (even though I consider those albums technically superior), and am so very glad that Rush made dramatic changes in each era, rather than simply regurgitating the same stuff year after year.

• Like 1

Counterparts gets my vote. Its full of good, strong, enjoyable songs like The Speed of Love, Nobody's Hero, Cold Fire, Everyday Glory & Between the Sun and the Moon. Animate is decent as well - although not as good as the first 5 I mentioned.

T4E come in 2nd place. The entire 1st side of the album is good and enjoyable. Unfortunately the 2nd side starts with Dog Years and Virtuality - 2 of the worst songs Rush has done. Then the album comes back with the very strong Resist and Carve Away the Stone.

Both are good enjoyable albums but at its best Counterparts is better and its weak songs much better than Dog Years and Virtuality.

RTB comes in a distant 3rd. Its starts with the wonderful Dreamline and Bravado but then falls off quickly. The rest of the album is rather forgetable. Not as bad as Dog Years and Virtuality. But just forgetable.

I bought each album when they were released, and have gone through three distinct phases with regard to that particular trio:

During the 90's - Loved Roll the Bones. Thought Counterparts was a disappointingly noisy, un-melodic follow up. Thought Test for Echo was the album Counterparts should have been.

Ten years later - Pretty much forgot about Roll the Bones. Counterparts moved into my top three Rush albums. Test for Echo moved to the very bottom. Whereas Roll the Bones was simply boring, Test for Echo was just plain bad. Thought Neil's post-Gruber drumming was boring.

Now - After purchasing "Retrospective III," realized just how many great songs populate those albums. Re-ignited a love for each of them, especially as I had gotten a bit bored with their "classic" era. Actually listen to them as much as, if not more than, albums like Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (even though I consider those albums technically superior), and am so very glad that Rush made dramatic changes in each era, rather than simply regurgitating the same stuff year after year.

:goodposting:

Roll The Bones is currently growing on me.

Still prefer CP, but RTB is really wonderul!

He segued on RTB.......Re-segued to dislike it......only to Re-re-segue back.......holy moly. :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

He segued on RTB.......Re-segued to dislike it......only to Re-re-segue back.......holy moly. :laughing guy:

Mick

Superconductor, Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life are all in my good books.

ReSegue Myles has arrived!

• Like 2

Mick

Superconductor, Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life are all in my good books.

The Segue is just fascinating to me......I marvel at the lighting quickness of it, lol

Mick

Mick

The Segue is just fascinating to me......I marvel at the lighting quickness of it, lol

Mick

Rtb is still bottom five for me however...I am just liking my least favorite Rush albums even more

• Like 1

Counterparts is the best album from top to bottom. Next is T4E. There are some real clunkers on T4E, but the title track, Driven, and Time And Motion are three of my all time favorites. RTB has some enjoyable tracks, but all in all, a rather disappointing offering from Rush.

Counterparts is the best album from top to bottom. Next is T4E. There are some real clunkers on T4E, but the title track, Driven, and Time And Motion are three of my all time favorites. RTB has some enjoyable tracks, but all in all, a rather disappointing offering from Rush.

From start to finish, I really like Test For Echo. But it is the most Spinal Tap of all the Rush albums. A lyrical parody of all that makes Rush Rush!

Great fun. Low quality.

From start to finish, I really like Test For Echo. But it is the most Spinal Tap of all the Rush albums. A lyrical parody of all that makes Rush Rush!

Great fun. Low quality.

I think the quality is quite good (minus a few tracks) and it is a somewhat underrated album (especially around here). And it was the last of their albums that had that real Rush feel to it. Their hiatus did change them.

I'd definitely take it over Vapor Trails.

Great fun. Low quality.

I think the quality is quite good (minus a few tracks) and it is a somewhat underrated album (especially around here). And it was the last of their albums that had that real Rush feel to it. Their hiatus did change them.

I'd definitely take it over Vapor Trails.

Low quality by Rush standards.

I really do think I am coming close to beinf a fan of every Rush album!

Just Rush, Fly By Night, Snakes And Arrows and to some extent Clockwork Angels to get into.

CA just doesn't thrill me as a whole. But its good.

I think I prefer the nineties as a whole to the noughties. Only VT comes close to matching my favourites (CoS-Presto).

I don't think it's low-quality by Rush standards either.

Proves my theory that, tastes aside, Rush have never released a bad album! I think it amazing, reading forum members views, how each and every album (Feedback included) has a number of die hard supporters.

I will find time to play Test For Echo tomorrow methinks!

• Like 1

Proves my theory that, tastes aside, Rush have never released a bad album! I think it amazing, reading forum members views, how each and every album (Feedback included) has a number of die hard supporters.

It's (mostly) consistently good. Just really nothing amazing about it overall. I wouldn't say I'm a "die hard" when it comes to Test for Echo. It's biggest flaw is a relative sameness from track to track but it's pleasurable to listen to.

It's certainly no Presto.

It's (mostly) consistently good. Just really nothing amazing about it overall. I wouldn't say I'm a "die hard" when it comes to Test for Echo. It's biggest flaw is a relative sameness from track to track but it's pleasurable to listen to.

It's certainly no Presto.

I am hooked on Presto. Even Superconductor has grown on me (the chorus is the weakest part, I love the rest of the song though).

Stick It Out is abysmal, worse than the worst off the other two, and that almost killed it. It was a close race with Roll, though. Counterparts is more consistently good and eeks this one out. I do like Test, but it has no chance.