Inspired Song Choices in Movie Soundtracks

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Some film directors like using popular songs in their movies to set the mood for a scene (or for the whole film) instead of having a composer score the film. Martin Scorsese and David O. Russell are two of the top directors for picking just the right songs, and they're especially good at picking songs that you wouldn't expect to fit the mood of a particular scene, but fit perfectly anyway. Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" in Goodfellas is a prime example -- played while we're seeing a slo-mo shot of Robert De Niro contemplating killing someone from his crew. Another one that raised my eyebrow after the first few notes but ended up being a really inspired choice was Led Zep's "What Is and What Should Never Be," played while Bradley Cooper was having a meltdown in "Silver Linings Playbook."

I watched "Seeking a Friend For The End of the World" last night, and towards the end there was a very bittersweet scene, and played during that was The Hollies' "The Air That I Breathe," an impossibly gorgeous song, and a perfect fit for that scene.

That's all I got. Give me more.

(I did a search and couldn't find a similar topic, which after all this time surprised me. If anyone knows of such a thread let me know.)

The whole guardians of galaxy soundtrack was pretty inspired I think.

Tarantino is also really good at picking tunes for his movies. Pulp Fiction and Death Proof both have killer soundtracks.

I am not up on movies and books and stuff that others are here but since you mention Goodfellas... The scenes when all the "wacked" crew are showing up everywhere and the Derek And The Dominos going is pretty surreal in my view....

I can't remember the actor's name. I think he committed suicide - Phoenix something? He was a good actor.

What was the Bruce Springsteen song used in one of the scenes?

Sorry I can't give you more. It was a movie made in the eighties. All I remember about the scene is he had a pool cue in his hand and he was perfectly in sync with the song. It made a simple movie scene very effective.

Edited by Lorraine

First thing that comes to mind to me is The Big Chill. I loved that soundtrack and I thought all of the songs fit the movie beautifully.

I can't remember the actor's name. I think he committed suicide - Phoenix something? He was a good actor.

Sorry I can't give you more. It was a movie made in the eighties. All I remember about the scene is he had a pool cue in his hand and he was perfectly in sync with the song. It made a simple movie scene very effective.

Sometimes it takes awhile for something to surface in my brain. I remembered the song. Hungry Heart.

Despite not having been recorded when the film was set, It's a Wonderful World was perfect in Good Morning, Vietnam during that montage of death and destruction. So moving. Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 3

Sometimes it takes awhile for something to surface in my brain. I remembered the song. Hungry Heart.

River Phoenix.

• Like 1

River Phoenix.

I liked him a lot. Thought he was good looking too.

River Phoenix.

I liked him a lot. Thought he was good looking too.

I remember him the most from Stand By Me, when he was a kid. But he certainly did mature into a nice looking young man. Too bad about his drug use.

There was a West Wing episode, the one in which Mrs. Landingham dies, and they played Brothers in Arms on the soundtrack. I did get a little misty, because I liked Mrs. Landingham. That song really suited. That song has got some serious feel.