Christmas Parties

The Analog Grownup

So, the time for Christmas parties are here. The lighthearted friendly banter, the making out in secrecy and photo copying your ass. All those things.

Going for a Christmas party tonight with the company I work at.

Then I got to think about how Christmas parties in Denmark might or might not differ from the ones in USA and Canada?

'Tis the season to be jolly! :martini: :cosmo: :chickendance: :digi: :mwah: :moose: :hail: :tempted: :angel: :cheers:

• Like 2

I used to love Christmas parties. Especially the office parties. Most of them were fun, but one (I think it was the first in NYC) was quite staid. It was held at The Four Seasons. During the entire meal, a waiter stood behind me. Every time I put a cigarette out, he would retrieve the ash tray and give me a clean one. :LOL: We had some type of soufflé for dessert and I was a bit perplexed as to which utensil to use. All of a sudden this hand loomed in front of me and picked up a spoon and handed it to me. :LOL: :lol:

But I don't think that's what you want to hear. :LOL:

I witnessed many an embarrassing moment during (and after) Christmas parties. But I'm glad to say that not one of them ever involved me. Although I often had a massive hang over the next day. :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

My favorite thing to do at Christmas parties is the 1) spike the punch bowl with about 4 liters of rum, and then 2) get so sick from drinking the punch, I throw up in the toilet. But instead of throwing up in the toilet bowl, I lift the lid off the reserve tank and puke in there. If the toilets are not configured like that, I don't go to the party.
  • Like 1

I think it's illegal to call them Christmas parties in the US. They are all now "holiday parties" I believe ;)

That's a shame. This morning I saw a Salvation Army bucket with the sign "Merry Christmas and God Bless!" and I wondered how much longer they would be able to have a sign like that without some person complaining that the sign offended them.

• Like 3

I think it's illegal to call them Christmas parties in the US. They are all now "holiday parties" I believe ;)

Yep... :sigh:

That's a shame. This morning I saw a Salvation Army bucket with the sign "Merry Christmas and God Bless!" and I wondered how much longer they would be able to have a sign like that without some person complaining that the sign offended them.

And it only takes one person and one lawyer.... Geez
  • Like 2

I think most companies do it simply so people don't feel excluded, which I completely understand. We have employees from India and many other places that simply don't celebrate Christmas. Would some not come if it were called a "Christmas Party"? Maybe...

I like having the others included, it's a great way to get to know people outside of work

• Like 1

I don't think it will ever come to that. If they promote they are a Christian company, people have the right to not do business there if it offends them. Just like other places like Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A...

I'll stop there so we don't get this moved into SOCN :)

• Like 3

My favorite thing to do at Christmas parties is the 1) spike the punch bowl with about 4 liters of rum, and then 2) get so sick from drinking the punch, I throw up in the toilet. But instead of throwing up in the toilet bowl, I lift the lid off the reserve tank and puke in there. If the toilets are not configured like that, I don't go to the party.

Does this mean that whenever someone flushes the toilet puke will come out instead of water?

• Like 1

Does this mean that whenever someone flushes the toilet puke will come out instead of water?

http://www.halfassedpodcast.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/upperdecker9mw7ll.jpg
  • Like 5

Only once or twice.... :)
  • Like 1

Like for referring to people and lawyers as separate.

:yes:

• Like 1

:yes:

That's ... brilliant! :D

Well I can tell you this: In the U.S., we don't have Christmas parties before Thanksgiving!

:LOL:

but we sure as hell have christmas commercials before thanksgiving
  • Like 1

Well I can tell you this: In the U.S., we don't have Christmas parties before Thanksgiving!

:LOL:

but we sure as hell have christmas commercials before thanksgiving

Bloody hell, they start after Halloween now! Next year I expect to see them premiering shortly after Labor Day.

We have our office party during work hours, as a luncheon. It's kinda cool but sometimes it's a case of "grab a plate and go back to your computer" because there's work to be done. (One thing that was a bit of an initial shock for some of us since our company was purchased by a global firm last year - no more Christmas bonuses. However, the massive improvement in the available health care plans more than makes up for the missing bonus. Better plans and WAY less expensive. So I cannot really find room to complain).

• Like 1