Thank god iam a rush fan.

nicky6

Can you imagine. some people are huge garth brooks fans. or johnmayer or DMB fans. but thank god we are rush fans. and people who dont know them missed out, big time. So glad i hear music the way i do and thank god i dont hear it the way others do.. Edited by nicky6
  • Like 13

When I was very young I always thought I knew a secret that others didn't. I sort of feel the same today only to a much lesser extent...
  • Like 2

When I was very young I always thought I knew a secret that others didn't. I sort of feel the same today only to a much lesser extent...

True story.... One day, hanging out having a few beverages in college, I was debating a guy who was a bit of a music snob who rambled off all the blah, blah, blah negative things so many said about Rush and he contended that I was in a "very small minority of people who actually like, let alone listen to, Rush." I chuckled and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, right, me and about a dozen guys buy 10,000 copies of their albums every week just to keep them on the sales charts." He kind of hemmed and hawed and.... then. something. magical. happened. The dude's girlfriend got up.... went to a closet in the place... pulled out about half a dozen CDs... and dumped them on the floor. They were all Rush titles. And they were THAT DUDE'S CDs.

I distinctly remember saying, "Dude, your girlfriend is *HOT*!" to kind of take the pressure off the guy and get the room to laugh it off... but damn it... really? Dude was a Rush fan talking trash about Rush because he didn't want people to know he liked Rush?

Sadly, I think that was more common than not for a very long time.

• Like 1

True story.... One day, hanging out having a few beverages in college, I was debating a guy who was a bit of a music snob who rambled off all the blah, blah, blah negative things so many said about Rush and he contended that I was in a "very small minority of people who actually like, let alone listen to, Rush." I chuckled and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, right, me and about a dozen guys buy 10,000 copies of their albums every week just to keep them on the sales charts." He kind of hemmed and hawed and.... then. something. magical. happened. The dude's girlfriend got up.... went to a closet in the place... pulled out about half a dozen CDs... and dumped them on the floor. They were all Rush titles. And they were THAT DUDE'S CDs.

I distinctly remember saying, "Dude, your girlfriend is *HOT*!" to kind of take the pressure off the guy and get the room to laugh it off... but damn it... really? Dude was a Rush fan talking trash about Rush because he didn't want people to know he liked Rush?

So he came out of the closet so to speak?.... :)
  • Like 3

So he came out of the closet so to speak?.... :)

Yep. But really awkward that it was his girlfriend who outed him. ;)

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

I never ran into anyone like that, but I do remember not knowing much about them. I still have my issue of Guitar Player with Alex on the cover (Geddy had an interview in it as well) from June of 1980. I remember reading it at the time and being so excited to find out something about them. Even though it was mostly about gear, there was some stuff in there about them personally. It wasn't like it is today where information was so easily accessible.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I never ran into anyone like that, but I do remember not knowing much about them. I still have my issue of Guitar Player with Alex on the cover (Geddy had an interview in it as well) from June of 1980. I remember reading it at the time and being so excited to find out something about them. Even though it was mostly about gear, there was some stuff in there about them personally. It wasn't like it is today where information was so easily accessible.

Totally agree. I know I became much more aware of the three as people (their interests, background, etc.) in the 1990s. One of the very first web sites I ever went to was the National Midnight Star webpage. I want to say that was late in my college days (the campus had public three computers linked to the web and it took 10 minutes to download a single page, thankfully the lab monitor was clueless about the various beverages I brought with me)... sometime in late 1992 or early 1993.

Totally agree. I know I became much more aware of the three as people (their interests, background, etc.) in the 1990s. One of the very first web sites I ever went to was the National Midnight Star webpage. I want to say that was late in my college days (the campus had public three computers linked to the web and it took 10 minutes to download a single page, thankfully the lab monitor was clueless about the various beverages I brought with me)... sometime in late 1992 or early 1993.

I remember those days. :) I guess one thing that has always been in their favor is that people didn't know much about them. They didn't get in trouble and trash hotel rooms, they weren't in the news. The focus was always on their music only and not about their personal lives. How different those times were than it is today. The music industry has made an entire 360° turn.

Edited by EagleMoon

I remember those days. :) I guess one thing that has always been in their favor is that people didn't know much about them. They didn't get in trouble and trash hotel rooms, they weren't in the news. The focus was always on their music only and not about their personal lives. How different those times were than it is today. The music industry has made an entire 360° turn.

I really do believe their quiet lifestyle and intellectual ilk was one of the reasons they were so maligned and marginalized. These guys weren't writing simple power chords and singing about booze, boobs, and the devil. They just didn't fit in to the mental model so many have about rock music.

I am just happy those things are now appreciated about the guys because, really, I am not sure the over all landscape of rock has changed much. I walked by a display of new music the other day and noticed Nickelback has released a new album. My thought was, "Oh good. More songs about how much they like blow jobs."

I really do believe their quiet lifestyle and intellectual ilk was one of the reasons they were so maligned and marginalized. These guys weren't writing simple power chords and singing about booze, boobs, and the devil. They just didn't fit in to the mental model so many have about rock music.

I am just happy those things are now appreciated about the guys because, really, I am not sure the over all landscape of rock has changed much. I walked by a display of new music the other day and noticed Nickelback has released a new album. My thought was, "Oh good. More songs about how much they like blow jobs."

:LOL:

I think it has a lot to do with their longevity. they've stuck to their musical vision and not sold out, as much as some people might think so. They've always played the music that they wanted to play, which is ultimately what good musicians do. They make music for themselves and just pray that other people like it.

• Like 1

Rush were popular at the same time as bands like Van Halen, Kiss, ACDC etc.. Popular rock bands wrote about sex, drugs and rock n roll. Rush were outed nerds when it wasn't popular to be a nerd. Nowadays, nerds are like rock stars of the past. Movies like Harry Potter and any superheroe/ comic book theme are popular.

Rush were nerds ahead of their time!

What's funny is that a lot of the indie rock/ punk guys I know listened to Rush before they discovered punk. So it was fashionable to rip on them and claim to not dig them anymore, but they know their whole catalogue and respect the hell out of them. A good example is that band covering Limelight in the other thread. You know they f*ckin love Rush. But don't tell anybody!

Edited by Xanadoood

Rush were popular at the same time as bands like Van Halen, Kiss, ACDC etc.. Popular rock bands wrote about sex, drugs and rock n roll. Rush were outed nerds when it wasn't popular to be a nerd. Nowadays, nerds are like rock stars of the past. Movies like Harry Potter and any superheroe/ comic book theme are popular.

Rush were nerds ahead of their time!

What's funny is that a lot of the indie rock/ punk guys I know listened to Rush before they discovered punk. So it was fashionable to rip on them and claim to not dig them anymore, but they know their whole catalogue and respect the hell out of them. A good example is that band covering Limelight in the other thread. You know they f*ckin love Rush. But don't tell anybody!

If I ever run into the brunette doing that interview, I am totally telling her how much I love Rush! :D

funny I never thought of rush as nerd music, I just picked up on that a few years agoi

That was one of the first things I noticed about their lyrics. How many other bands wrote about mythology and literature?

EDIT: And that was what attracted me the most, because it was stuff I loved too.

Edited by EagleMoon

I agree with you but I hate to sound stuck up when I say it. I'm honestly just thankful that I listen to the music that I do. I don't think of myself as better than people who don't, I just enjoy it so much and I wish other people did.
  • Like 2

These guys weren't writing simple power chords and singing about booze, boobs, and the devil.

Hey Rush still has topics to sing about. These are three good ones

These guys weren't writing simple power chords and singing about booze, boobs, and the devil.

Hey Rush still has topics to sing about. These are three good ones

Didn't they cover these topics on the first three albums?