Funny story about Diffrent stages 1998!!

nicky6

I remmeber right before DS came out, i was so excited to hear something off it, radio stations here in philly relleased spirit of radio from it and i couldnt wait to hear it. So finally right before halloween i was in one of those halloween adventure shops and they had like WSP on and low and behold, it came on spirit of radio and i was all happy and just standing by the register listening to it. about mid way through the song, these young punk kids who were working there, we're like, "what is this crap??"" and they started all freaking out and got all mad and changed the station and said. what the hell was that stuff? all mad, so i ran out to my car to hear the rest. punks.. go listen to your green day or dave matthews
  • Like 2

I remmeber right before DS came out, i was so excited to hear something off it, radio stations here in philly relleased spirit of radio from it and i couldnt wait to hear it. So finally right before halloween i was in one of those halloween adventure shops and they had like WSP on and low and behold, it came on spirit of radio and i was all happy and just standing by the register listening to it. about mid way through the song, these young punk kids who were working there, we're like, "what is this crap??"" and they started all freaking out and got all mad and changed the station and said. what the hell was that stuff? all mad, so i ran out to my car to hear the rest. punks.. go listen to your green day or dave matthews

I love how punk is meant to be individual expression, but there are "rules" one has to follow lest you be called a sellout.

Essentially all punk sounds the same. And looks the same.

Rush are punk to the bone. No one else is like them.

Name me ONE punk band that stands out from the crowd as sternly as Rush do from their rock peers.

And good story!

• Like 4

I love how punk is meant to be individual expression, but there are "rules" one has to follow lest you be called a sellout.

Name me ONE punk band that stands out from the crowd as sternly as Rush do from their rock peers.

And good story!

The Clash

• Like 2

I love how punk is meant to be individual exp<b></b>ression, but there are "rules" one has to follow lest you be called a sellout.

And good story!

The Clash

I never think of them as punk

Something similar that still makes me crack up. I went to Ozzfest with a good friend about 10 years ago in San Antonio. And of course it was set up like a fair with stalls selling shirts and stuff. As we enter the main arena area before the show starts we look at the crowd and my friend deadpans "nothing like 15,000 people non-conforming in unison", haha!

It's true. All these "fight the system" "I gotta be me!" types may as well have been wearing uniforms.

• Like 1

And good story!

The Clash

They are a punk band.

Heres a crappy review from some jerk on the release of DS, wow this is one harsh review

It takes chutzpah to put out a fourth live album if you're not the Dead or the Stones, but apparently Canada's most beloved power trio is determined to carry the prog-rock lighter — er, torch — into the new millennium. The three-CD set, Different Stages, from tours in '78 and '97, showcases how adeptly Rush can replicate masturbatory masterpieces like ''2112'' and ''Natural Science.'' That said, the band's recent material rings hollow, the drum solo ain't happening, and you can find comparable versions of the halcyon tracks on the other three live discs. C+

I remmeber the original title for DS was suppossed to be "dimlit stages for various ages" anyone recall that one. thank god they went with diffrent stages, also analog kid and show dont tell" were both added right before the release date.

Heres a crappy review from some jerk on the release of DS, wow this is one harsh review

It takes chutzpah to put out a fourth live album if you're not the Dead or the Stones, but apparently Canada's most beloved power trio is determined to carry the prog-rock lighter — er, torch — into the new millennium. The three-CD set, Different Stages, from tours in '78 and '97, showcases how adeptly Rush can replicate masturbatory masterpieces like ''2112'' and ''Natural Science.'' That said, the band's recent material rings hollow, the drum solo ain't happening, and you can find comparable versions of the halcyon tracks on the other three live discs. C+

Rolling Stone Magazine? Looks like their dogs- - t.

Something similar that still makes me crack up. I went to Ozzfest with a good friend about 10 years ago in San Antonio. And of course it was set up like a fair with stalls selling shirts and stuff. As we enter the main arena area before the show starts we look at the crowd and my friend deadpans "nothing like 15,000 people non-conforming in unison", haha!

It's true. All these "fight the system" "I gotta be me!" types may as well have been wearing uniforms.

You are a unique individual. Just like everyone else. :syrinx:

PS Ozzfest was a total cash grab.

And good story!

Agreed. The entire notion of their recording 2112 as a strong middle finger to the record execs was, at its core, punk.

Punk is a state of mind. Less a sound, although I admit there is a distinct notion of the punk sound. Punk comes in many forms and, frankly, I think the greatest punk song ever was actually an Iron Maiden song..... Running Free. Everything about that song was punk.

• Like 1

And good story!

The Clash

I would suggest you probably think that because The Clash became mainstream. The whole Big Audio Dynamite thing didn't help. I actually sort of have the same feelings about the Sex Pistols, in particular Lydon because of his work in PIL, and how ridiculously cool the Pistols have become.

It is hard, I know, to see a band getting regular air play on MTV (back when MTV aired videos) as punk and anti-establishment, but I think people forget that MTV was originally anti-establishment. Rock the Casbah playing on MTV back then was edgy. Today? Notsomuch.

The Clash lost a bit of their punk street cred by getting big, but they are still definitely one of the premiere punk bands in history. And I have to admit the Pistols are too.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

And good story!

The Clash

I would suggest you probably think that because The Clash became mainstream. The whole Big Audio Dynamite thing didn't help. I actually sort of have the same feelings about the Sex Pistols, in particular Lydon because of his work in PIL, and how ridiculously cool the Pistols have become.

It is hard, I know, to see a band getting regular air play on MTV (back when MTV aired videos) as punk and anti-establishment, but I think people forget that MTV was originally anti-establishment. Rock the Casbah playing on MTV back then was edgy. Today? Notsomuch.

The Clash lost a bit of their punk street cred by getting big, but they are still definitely one of the premiere punk bands in history. And I have to admit the Pistols are too.

Can kinda say the same for The Ramones wrt a couple of songs. I think of Black Flag and Dead Kennedys and Suicidal Tendencies as more "Hardcore", and Sex Pistols, Velvet Underground as well as some other bands, but Clash, Ramones were real deal for sure. I struggle w Green Day, but Dookie is a bona fide punk album. Not their fault they were popular, eh?

• Like 1

Entertainment Weekly. I remember reading that review when it came out.

I was working in Ohio back then at a record store when DS came out. I used to play it in store all the time and loved it. Then one day a guy came in to buy a copy and he said something like "It sucks what happened to Neil, huh?" and told me about Selena and his wife dying. I didn't have the internet back then and had no idea.

Kind of a bad memory I guess.

And good story!

Agreed. The entire notion of their recording 2112 as a strong middle finger to the record execs was, at its core, punk.

Punk is a state of mind. Less a sound, although I admit there is a distinct notion of the punk sound. Punk comes in many forms and, frankly, I think the greatest punk song ever was actually an Iron Maiden song..... Running Free. Everything about that song was punk.

Agreed. Punk doesn't automatically mean your music is shitty and you only know 3 power chords. It's more about doing things your own way regardless of what the powers that be want you to do. 2112 anyone? And even playing 5 S&A songs in a row on that tour when everybody else was crying about it, there you go!

• Like 2

Sorry, but you asked:

http://www.drummertalk.org/wp-content/uploads/midnight-oil.jpg

Sorry, but you asked:

http://www.drummertalk.org/wp-content/uploads/midnight-oil.jpg

Ah, yes. Midnight Oil. Only mildly popular in the states, but wildly popular in Australia. Also very punk in their message (although more of a new wave sound, I think). Although the fact that Peter Garrett became a member of the Australian HoR and later a Minister of Education does erode his punk street cred, yes? It's kind of hard to fight the power when you *are* the power! :LOL:

• Like 1

Jeez, my wife subscribes to that litterbox liner.

Jeez, my wife subscribes to that litterbox liner.

Lol, that rag/the talent they fawn over, immediately disqualifies them from any serious consideration.

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1