Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson Talk ‘R40′, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Future of Rush

Jag2112

I think there are songs that are real fan favorites that we’ve avoided for a long time. And I think if we plan to go back out, we would have a very close review of some of those songs.

That's right Alex. Among them, Xanadu and The Weapon. Do a close review of them, and then decide to play them. And no shortened version either. Make an old lady happy.

Thank you.

Your fan,

Lorraine

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 8

I was in the building for the actual ceremony. I noticed that at the beginning of the night, when Jann Wenner came on stage to welcome everyone, he was greeted by resounding boos, obviously from the Rush fans. That part didn’t make the HBO broadcast!

Lifeson: I guess a lot of people enjoyed that moment. What blew us away was when he introduced the inductees. H saved us for last, and he said, “And from Toronto, Canada…,” and the place—you were there, you heard it—it blew up. It was unbelievable. And that wasn’t lost on Jann either. We were holding back tears. It was incredible, I’ll never, ever, ever forget that moment.

Lee: We all teared up at that moment, it was quite something to see. It became apparent pretty quickly that a large portion of the audience was there for us; it was a Rush crowd that night. But that moment took us as much by surprise as it did Jann. We really didn’t think a lot about what we were going to experience that night. We had no idea of the magnitude of the moment. It’s a moment that I’ll always remember.

That must have been incredible. Can you imagine what it must be like knowing you are so well loved by thousands?

• Like 4

Lee: Maybe the other guys would have a different opinion on this, I don’t know, but I like to think that we work when we need to work. When the time comes that that no longer seems like a fun idea, then we’ll stop. I’m sure that everybody has a different idea of how to say goodbye when that time comes. I’m not good with goodbyes, so I’d rather just fade away.

Me too.

• Like 1

Lee: Maybe the other guys would have a different opinion on this, I don’t know, but I like to think that we work when we need to work. When the time comes that that no longer seems like a fun idea, then we’ll stop. I’m sure that everybody has a different idea of how to say goodbye when that time comes. I’m not good with goodbyes, so I’d rather just fade away.

Me too.

Rush's slow fade will still be way better than a lot of bands' brightests moments. Don't mean to be corny, but that kind of confluence is rare.

• Like 2

I don't know why Geddy seems fixated on the length of old songs. He mentions Jacob's Ladder in the interview.

Am I the only Rush fan who would gladly forgo them playing a few of the tunes they've played on every tour since VP in favor of other ones that are longer? Is there anyone here who would give almost anything to have them play Hemispheres in its entirety?

• Like 4

I was in the building for the actual ceremony. I noticed that at the beginning of the night, when Jann Wenner came on stage to welcome everyone, he was greeted by resounding boos, obviously from the Rush fans. That part didn’t make the HBO broadcast!

Lifeson: I guess a lot of people enjoyed that moment. What blew us away was when he introduced the inductees. H saved us for last, and he said, “And from Toronto, Canada…,” and the place—you were there, you heard it—it blew up. It was unbelievable. And that wasn’t lost on Jann either. We were holding back tears. It was incredible, I’ll never, ever, ever forget that moment.

Lee: We all teared up at that moment, it was quite something to see. It became apparent pretty quickly that a large portion of the audience was there for us; it was a Rush crowd that night. But that moment took us as much by surprise as it did Jann. We really didn’t think a lot about what we were going to experience that night. We had no idea of the magnitude of the moment. It’s a moment that I’ll always remember.

That must have been incredible. Can you imagine what it must be like knowing you are so well loved by thousands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLuYXT6QMU

:haz: :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 3

Troutman, "dial up diva", remember?

I'd love to watch Jann's face more than anything. :LMAO:

• Like 2

Troutman, "dial up diva", remember?

I'd love to watch Jann's face more than anything. :LMAO:

I know,

But wanted to post it for others to see. :D

• Like 2

Love that video! I like Ann Wilson's reaction when whats-is-name refers to most of her band as a "back up band".

And the wives' reaction to the attention. Priceless!

• Like 2

They should let the fans decide.

1. Record a full album then tour

2. Record a couple songs then tour

3. Just get on with the tour already

Sounds like a poll to me....

A poll indeed! .. In case spies are among us ;)

• Like 1

;)

They might do both at the same time,

Do a small tour at first while making a new album. Who knows what might happen.

Edited by troutman

Amazing response!

No poll needed. They need to do an album AND tour. Not one or the other. :)

Love that video! I like Ann Wilson's reaction when whats-is-name refers to most of her band as a "back up band".

And the wives' reaction to the attention. Priceless!

I think the wives' reaction, particularly Geddy's wife, was genuinely priceless. In the case of both Alex and Geddy, their wives endured everything the band endured for 40+ years. Likewise, Neil's wife may be "new" to the gig, but she has made her own sacrifices for her husband. The husbands may have played off the negative media attention, but the wives knew better. They took it to heart (and knew their husbands were stung by all the negativity, as well), especially since they made their own personal and family sacrifices while the band recorded and toured. I am certain the crowd's reaction was, in many, many ways, meaningful for the wives. For them to hear that roar... to know their husbands were very much so appreciated by so many... to know their sacrifices were not in vain and that their sacrifices brought great joy to so many others.... it had to have been powerful. Beside (not behind) every great man stands a great woman. The wives were validated, just as much as their husbands, that night.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 9

They're definitely gonna play Fly By NIght, Cinderella Man and the Necromancer!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's definite, you heard him!! It HAPPENING!! :haz: :clap: :ebert: :yay: :banana: :hi:

NO NOT THE NECROMANCER

DO ALL PARTS OF FEAR INSTEAD

That intro is so EPIC! Dude, I was there with my wife. IT WAS INFUCKINGCREDIBLE! The chills down my spine. The few tears in my eyes during that ending part. The place went NUTS!

It was truly one of the greatest nights of my life!

Rush Geek Forever!

• Like 6